I've got it bad...

...lust for the new Shelby GT 500, that is. Financially it's probably going to be a stretch, but I figure in about a year from now I could swing it. I already feel guilty about wanting to replace my black 93 GT though. I bought it new (my 3rd black GT) and have put 182,000 enjoyable miles, but the new Mustang has really got me excited.

Check this out....

|001|1

Reply to
Andy Smith

That's heresey. Why don't I just buy used front and back pieces for my '93 LX, glue snakes all over it, and call it a Cobra? Hell, I "might" get Cobra performance parts someday, too.

No, I won't drive a car that looks like something it's not. To someone who knows what it means, the words "Shelby" and "Cobra" should be sacred.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Oh spare me. If it's not going to be a collector car, you may as well make it look the way you want. Nobody said anything about passing it off as a real Shelby. Same concept as all those outfits hawking "Elanor" kits for 60's fastbacks.

I like the way the Shelby body kit looks on the new 'stang, but there is absolutely no way I'd consider paying the usurious prices that the dealers are going to gouge from people who've "got to have one." And it's not even a money issue. I can afford a GT500 or even a GT, but it just rubs me the wrong way that the dealers are gouging the enthusiasts who've helped to keep this car alive for 40 years.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

So, I can make a regular Mustang LOOK like a Shelby GT500, but I'm not passing it off as one... I see.

I'm not one of those internet millionaires. I cannot afford one, unless lightning strikes (Lightning being the winning numbers in the Powerball lottery). But the fact that I can't afford one doesn't mean that it would be okay or even a justifiable protest to slap Shelby pieces on my own car.

I don't know... Dressing a car up as something it's not, either you get it or you don't.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

I said to buy the body kit from Shelby because I like the way it looks. The idea is not to "copy" a GT500. That would involve a lot more.

*shrug*

A car is a machine, a device, a piece of equipment. If it pleases the owner to change the way it looks cosmetically, what's the big deal?

Then you are certainly free to leave your buggy bone stock. There's nothing to "get" here other than your intolerance of other people's views.

That said, if the local dealer isn't trying to tack on $10-20k to the price, I might just buy a "real" GT500. It's not the absolute price that bothers me, but the fact that some opportunist (with Ford's tacit agreement) is able to pad their pockets at the enthusiast's expense.

Have a wonderful day.

Reply to
Ritz

I don't care for the flash without the sizzle. It'd be utterly meaningless.

It goes beyond view, beyond image. It's fraud, pure and simple.

In that, we agree.

dwight (Seems we were saying this very thing not too long ago, when gasoline was selling at $3.30+/gallon...)

Reply to
dwight

Oh please. Get over it...get over yourself. If I wanted image, I'd just buy a Ferrari.

*chuckle*
Reply to
Ritz

Get over it!

The beauty of car enthusiasm is that you CAN do what you want, the way you want.

If I hold you to your views, you dont like SN65, either... right?

While I reserve the right to freakin' DROOL over it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Is the SN65 pretending to be something it's not, without the power to back it up?

dwight

Reply to
dwight