Idiotic "mechanics"

I know enough to avoid Jiffy-Lube and such. Found a clean and somewhat upscale garage a few years back and have been taking in my GT every 3K miles or so. For some reason, their computer does not show correct capacity and they often put in too much oil. I've been double checking myself after changes and ask them to drain the excess. Last week, one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you always come back with problems!!???". I told him to chill and not to blame me for their mistakes. I also advised that they simply check the level before giving me the car back. He started to tell me that they put in a little more oil since the filter absorbs some. When I told him that most techs I know fill the new filter with oil prior to install, he totally flipped and started yelling at me again ... :"We do hundreds of changes a week ...and you are telling ME how to CHANGE OIL!!".

Am I crazy? Ever since my HS auto shop class (30 years ago) I was told that it's a good idea to fill new filters with oil. In any case, I'm just so frustrated that since I no longer have time or space to change my own oil, even paying someone else to do it becomes a f----ing production!

Ron W.

2000 GT 'vert black
Reply to
unixzip

you better check the shop manual LMFAO it CLEARLY states oil above the fill line on dipstick is acceptable

and no u dont fill filters ( gas engines) what happens when the filter is perpindicular to the block YA FOCTARD GET SOME CERTIFICATION OR FOCK OFF

hurc ast

Reply to
  whose ya daddy 96

You should fill the filter 1/2 way with oil. Since it isn't straight up, you can't fill it all the way. Run the engine for a few minutes. Shut it off and check for leaks. Wait a little while, and check the level. Been doing it that way for decades, with dozens of vehicles. On a side note, it doesn't sound like that mechanic wants your business any longer. If somebody I was paying to do work for me actually yelled at me, they would see my back one last time.

Reply to
.boB

Guy sounds like a real prick. My suggestion is find a different shop. I mean, if you've continuously had to take it back and have them drain the excess, then they bitch you out because they can't do something as simple as oil changes right, screw em. They obviously don't need your money. Take it to someone who does.

K.

Reply to
Kidd Andersson

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I don't see why you cannot change your oil. I have for years even when I lived in an apartment with no assigned parking. I just got all my supplies before hand and changed it in the parking lot.I did make sure that I always left the area clean if I spilled any oil I made sure to clean it up.

I have seen others actually do it in the parking lot of the auto parts store and return the oil for recycling.

I have never pre-filled a filter only wiped the rubber seal with the old oil so that it would seal better.

All of my vehicles went well over 150,000+ miles my Ford Taurus was still running strong at 250,000+ when I sold it.

Gary

Reply to
Photobossman

| Last week, one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you | always come back with problems!!???".

You let him get away with this?

. When I told him that most techs I know | fill the new filter with oil prior to install, he totally flipped and | started yelling at me again ... :"We do hundreds of changes a week | ...and you are telling ME how to CHANGE OIL!!".

The guy still doesn't have a fat lip, and you still have not called their corporate HQ...???!! | | Am I crazy?

No Ron, you are acting more like a doormat. Find a different place to take your car. There must be another lube shop around.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate
*snip*

Some of us don't WANT to DIY... how's that? Personally, I don't like to have to store and then haul the used oil to the recycling place. I like that they lube everything,, vacuum the mats and wash the windshield check all the other levels, fill the fluids and so on..

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Judging by the distance between the Add and Full marks/lines being a quart, how much was it overfilled?

Reply to
John

Just to add some perspective..... spend some time on the opposite side of the counter for a while. Most techs that I know do their absolute best to perform top notch work... in spite of constant demands regarding time spent, service performed, payment received and a host of other things "civilians" just don't comprehend. Add the constant bad rap from an unknowing public and the occasional entrapment blitz by some of the media....

I wasn't there so I don't know if "one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you| always come back with problems!!???" or if it was a simple question.

Just yesterday, one of our apprentices us changing oil on a Honda and noticed a bad front wheel bearing.... customer dumps on the spprentice. A couple of weeks ago, customer installs a 60 amp MAX where a 20 amp use to live...... The wiring harness is about $800CA and nearly 12 hours to install....... Customer dumps on the SA. There are two sides to every story.....

There is a growing trend for the good shops to "fire" customers before an unpleasant scene develops. It's something I've done in the past and I will continue it in the future.

Is there anyone here that can make it through a day without a mistake or four left in their wake? Get a good enough microscope and you can find problems with any task a human has performed.

Reply to
Jim Warman

It was about 2 inches over the MAX line.

I live in a small town and don't feel like driving 20 miles to find another shop. Being a nice guy, I would feel bad telling the boss that one of his techs is an a-hole and possibly get the guy fired. I'm sure the poor kid needs the money (why else would you manage the oil change line). Next time I will bring a big sign with "5 QUARTS PLEASE !!" on it.

As a side note, I couldn't even locate the oil drain plug on my GT! There is a big bolt under the filter but looks like it's connected to the shaft connecting the front tires. Is that the plug? I always had Chevys, and the plug was right on the pan.... Are there any web sites that show pics of 4.6 engine components????

Reply to
unixzip

Oh lord... don't even whine about them not knowing what they are doing if you don't even know where the oil drain plug is! :P

-Mike

-- Melt away the Cellulite with Cellulean!

<memset
**CHOP**SNIP**TRIM**

Hmm... 10 years in the body shop business, three of those as an owner.

15 years in retail, all the way from sales to management. 3 years as tech support and trainer for software companies.

Do any of these qualify me as having stood on the other side of the counter?

I've NEVER fired a customer. Not that I wouldn't have liked to, but never have.

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Ok, I am going to be mean here. Read on or not, it's up to you. If you know what youa re getting, and you do not want to do it yourself, and you continue to go to the same place, then you are getting EXACTLY what you deserve.

Being a nice guy, I would feel bad telling the boss that | one of his techs is an a-hole and possibly get the guy fired. I'm sure | the poor kid needs the money (why else would you manage the oil change | line).

And so the "kid" never learns to do it right and continues to mess up. He doesn't learn, he evidently doesn't listen and you don't tell someone who can/should teach him otherwise,

That makes YOU as bad as he is.

| Next time I will bring a big sign with "5 QUARTS PLEASE !!" on it.

Oh yea, that will be good. "HERE'S YOUR SIGN" How about you just tell him as you pull it in: "Since you do not remember how much oil my car takes, and since you clearly do not know to look it up I will tell you that my car takes 5 quarts of XXX oil please, no more, no less.

For cryin out loud! It's a GD oil change, it's not brain surgery!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top
Reply to
SVTKate

Well, you aren't an "idiot" but you are a bit clueless :)

As far as the tech goes, he's full of sh#t... Fill the engine, start the car, and bring the pressure up, then let it settle and re-check. the filter doesn't "absorb" anything later on.

As far as prefilling the filter goes, no pro's do that. only shadetree mechs, or other anal people that believe that it will make ANY difference in the engine.

Still, it sounds like the guy was out of line. There is a tactful way to explain their side (even if it's wrong).

Oh, and a lube jockey is NOT a mechanic ! !

Reply to
Armon Tanzerian

Dude, with all due respect, I'm past that stage in my life where I have the time to learn about my cars. I work 12 hours a day and have a bunch of kids to run after. If I was still single and in school, I'm sure I would have been under my GT all day long.

I'm simply frustrated that I have to shop around for a simple oil change!

I do in fact still have steel ramps that I used to raise my old Chevys, BUT the Mustang bumper is so low that it hits the ramp when I try to drive up it. Anyone dealt with this? Are there special ramps with different profiles???

Reply to
unixzip

I'm pretty sure that Rhino Ramps have a shallower angle than the old-style metal ramps.

Or, you can make your own out of dimensional lumber:

I made a set of these out of scrap 2x6 from when I ripped up and re-planked the deck. Heavy as heck, but they work great. I wouldn't recommend using 2x6 for anything much wider than 185 tires, though...

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Hmm...............my 96 GT takes 6qts

Dave