'If the Chrysler 300 is a hit, then new Mustang is a grand slam'

Pretty flattering numbers for Team Mustang.

---From BON---

It was exactly four years ago this month that I wrote an article for BlueOvalNews titled "Mustang Remains Best Selling Coupe," where I illustrated that after nearly 40 years on the market, Ford's Mustang typically leads the sales chart among coupes. Now, with an all-new design, Mustang appears to be on track to continue pacing the coupe segment.

Media reporting, unimaginative at best, seems to be overlooking Mustang's resurgent popularity. It seems to be more fashionable to tout the Japanese companies gains, but Mustang is at the least, equally as strong this year. Consider the month of April, when Mustang had a 25.9 percent sales gain, equal to Toyota's gain. Even more noteworthy is the yearly comparison where Mustang has gained 19.2 percent in contrast to Toyota's 13.6 percent gain.

Media coverage is just as wretchedly fixated on clamoring over the success of the Chrysler 300, especially crediting the car with the lions-share of DaimlerChrysler's 5.4 percent, four-month sales gain. What they fail to mention is that in the four-month comparison between this year and last, is that this year, the 300 has had four full months of sales, while last year, it had just entered the market in March. Therefore, the 300's 35,000-unit gain over last year does unquestionably add to DC's bottom line sales tally.

Contrasting the Chrysler 300, Mustang had a full 12 months of sales last year, so achieving a comparable sale gain would be phenomenal. However, to Mustang's credit, it does have a 10,000-unit gain over last year.

Regardless, my point is more clearly illustrated by presenting raw sales data. The Chrysler 300 has four-month sales this year of 49,089; the Mustang stands at a greater, 61,820. April sales were 12,837 for the 300, while Mustang had sales of 19,559 in April. Based upon all the hoopla surrounding the 300's success, I had been under the impression that it was the market's only triumphant sales story. But if the 300 is defined as a success, then the Mustang must be a grand slam home run.

At this point it may be worth considering how Mustang fits within the context of total U.S. car sales. If the newly redesigned Mustang is a success as I've implied, then it should be illustratable not only in unit sales, but it should also have achieved a larger percentage of overall market sales. Since the new model was only on the market for a couple of months at the end of 2004, any measurement of success will only be notable in 2005 sales data.

It is clearly revealed in the table below that the all-new Mustang is enjoying phenomenal success in the marketplace this year. Mustang has achieved 2.4% of the U.S. car market in the first four months of 2005, far better than any of the previous 15 years, as is confirmed in the following tabulation.

While the Chrysler 300 may be the media darling when it comes to sales reporting, Mustang madness continues to roar through the streets of America.

Reply to
NoOption5L

On 31 May 2005 20:01:47 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

I'm sorry, but I don't get the point. Your comparing two different cars aimed at two different audiences. While there maybe some crossover I doubt that anyone who was looking for a Four-Door sedan was considering a two coupe or vice versa. Different cars, different market segments.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

The Mustang sales are impressive, simply because of the lack of overall support for coupes today. Chrysler is nuts though. If they took the new 300 engine, put it in a 2 door with 500lbs less weight, they have a REAL Charger instead of the JOKE they are putting out. They might as well call it the 300 Magnum.

Reply to
RichA

On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:38:25 -0400, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

Yeah I could deal with a Hemi in a two-door coupe ala Duster or Dart. However, it seems that all of the other domestic manufacturers have decided to let Ford have the Pony Car market all to themselves. I wouldn't mind seeing a retro `67 Camaro with the LS-2 in it either. Seems as if you want a Pony Car nowadays you got to stick with the Stang. There just isn't any other choice. Until the 300 & the new Charger the domestic manufacturers also left the RWD sedan market to Ford as well. I don't get either decision, but hey I don't run an automotive firm.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

RichA wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Nuts enough to post a sales increase, where Ford and GM are going home with their tails between their legs. Not to mention their "junk" status.

The joke's on you, Rich. You're the one with the 4-door hangup.

425hp and 420lb-ft torque is major stuff regardless of how many doors are hanging off the car.

Joe

Keep watch on the Charger a 6.1L is comming. Still a stang man but the srt8 looks sweet in black.

Robert Hooked

Reply to
Hooked 87

It's STILL a 4-door and looks like a 300 with a fubar'd nose.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"66 6F HCS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Scott, have you seen one in person yet?

Joe

"Joe" wrote

No, but still looks like a 300 and it's a 4-door.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"66 6F HCS" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Of course it's built on the same platform, but it's much better in person. Before I saw it for real I didn't particularly like it at all.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of a 4-door killer car at all. Simply makes more sense to me with the rear seat and all. Of course,

2-doors are great for 2-seaters...

Joe

The charger looks much better inperson and the srt8 version have a center scoop and rear wing with 18inch wheels. Looks like Chev gave up and now its Mopar and Ford. Robert Hooked

Reply to
Hooked 87