If you could restore one mustang, any year, ?

Just a generic question.

If you could restore just one year of a mustang what would it be.

Lets say you were a penny pusher also.

The best year to restore in your opinion, cost to do so, and bear in mind the cool look factor of the car also.

This is all play, but I am truly interested in hearing responses.

-- Admin

a Free State Of The Art Ford Mustang Member Page!Admin's Profile:
this thread:

Admin

To only restore one year mustang in a cost effective manner would require that you

A: Already had the mustang in your possession & B: That it was worth restoring? & C: What level are you restoring it to?

Now, with that said, the 65/66 reproduction parts are the least expensive, as they have been around for the longest amount of time...So, an early car, if you already had possession of it, would be the least expensive to restore. That, or a car that has minimum rust repair needed, unless of course you can do all of the welding yourself.

Finally, as for being a penny pincher,,,It will cost you more in the long run if you do not save your funds to do each part of the restoration right the first time around..................

Bill S.

Adm> Just a generic question.

View this thread:

Bill S.

A 1967 Mustang Coupe... *sigh*

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

View this thread:

Johnny K

View this thread:

Matthew B. Tepper

Reply to
Mark Jones

----- Original Message ---- If you could restore just one year of a mustang what would it be.

Well, that is an easy question. But lets set some guidelines for my reasoning. Well I have a 70 Boss 302 that I've owned for 17 years. Yea , It looks great but honestly as we get a little older we tend to enjoy those simple creature comforts even more. The Boss 302 is far from a nice cruiser as its rather high strung and really don't like city driving. I have a few Shelby owning buddies-One with a 68 GT500 KR-Just not me! A little to luxurious I guess. Another SAAC member friend of mine had a 69 Boss 429 years ago and again not my first choice but that massive engine made me stand in awe! This same individual did a 2 year concourse ( no repro parts-to SAAC specs not MCA) restoration on a 67 GT350 about 8 years ago and I thought it was pretty BUT didn't like the idea of a wimpy 289 HiPo. That all changed when he let me take it for a spin with him the weekend he was to return it to GA (via enclosed trailer of course) to it's owner-work completed. Was I ever impressed! So smooth- not like a bucking, high revving. peaky Boss 302 but smooth as any car I've driven. I was hooked. 4 years later I located and purchased a 67 GT 350 4 speed with factory air (only 28 built in 1967 with that combination) and inboard high beams.37,000 orig miles. It still awaits restoration but yet it is driveable and occasionally I do. My interest in the 67 Shelby over the 68 (engine choices aside) is that the 67 model was actually built by Shelby American in LA as oposed to AO Smith in MI in 1968. Yea, the 67 fiberglass is a little poor in fit but what the heck. I can drive it and it sure draws the looks and comments (which we all enjoy) but even needing a restoration it still drives great. Just one mans opinion. JB

Reply to
Jos. Burke

It might not be something you've given much thought but the 85 GT or the sleeper 85 5.0 lx may one day be the 'next' Boss 302! The 85 has several first year or one year only parts(210 horsepower,factory headers(85 headers are one of a kind)carbed engine with roller cam,WC

5 speed,dual stainless tailpipes,etc. They are good looking cars and you could probally find a relatively nice original to start with at a good price!
Reply to
winze

I can think of two. I know you said just one, but that's too hard for me to narrow down.

The first is a '67 GT350 the second is an 85 1/2 SVO

Scott W '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams
1969 Boss 429
Reply to
Dick Ginther

View this thread:

pony67

Actually a 67-67 would be a good choice, fastback or convertable you get a bigger car with updated amenities.

Reply to
Elvis Presley

looking for one?

Reply to
Elvis Presley

LOL. Just giving thought to building one. There are so many good years, and each has notable characteristics.

Decisions, decisions..

-- Admin

Admin

Maybe... when we get back to Tennessee.. why? Ya got one? Spefically, I want one with the turn signals in the hood. Geeze, what am I saying?

The cost of one of those would pur a supercharger on Shug!

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top With a personal touch... or two.

| >Kate | >

| >| Posted via HorsePowered.com - The Internets Premiere Ford Mustang | >Community. | >|

| >| Get a Free State Of The Art Ford Mustang Member Page!| >| Admin's Profile:| >
| >| View this thread:| >

SVTKate

'67 dark moss green with moss and ivy gold interior,

289 auto, original front discs, factory a/c car. I don't think I could sell it, but I like to here of others wanting. Actually had a guy offer $6000 about a year ago.

Reply to
Elvis Presley

View this thread:
would like the get my old 66 mustang back and restore it.. i had itsince 66(new) and let it go in 1973 when i got a new 73 grand torino... i could take that car apart and put it back together blindfolded.....i think i would change the brakes to disc. due to the ineffectivebraking when wet with all four drums.. almost drove it through the backwall of my garage when the wife opened the door as it was teaming downraining, and i pulled in and applied the brakes.. good thing the housewas new and the 2 by 4's in the wall held... just pushed the sheetrockin around the 2 by 4's.. loved that car or was it the age i was atthe time??? maybe both.....

Reply to
jim

Mine's not the most practical car, but I still get a stupid grin on my face when I drive it. Especially when my 6 year old son brags about Dads mustang!

> View this thread:
i would like the get my old 66 mustang back and restore it.. i had it>since 66(new) and let it go in 1973 when i got a new 73 grand torino... >i could take that car apart and put it back together blindfolded.....>i think i would change the brakes to disc. due to the ineffective>braking when wet with all four drums.. almost drove it through the back>wall of my garage when the wife opened the door as it was teaming down>raining, and i pulled in and applied the brakes.. good thing the house>was new and the 2 by 4's in the wall held... just pushed the sheetrock>in around the 2 by 4's.. loved that car or was it the age i was at>the time??? maybe both.....

Reply to
Elvis Presley

Thats the best part when your children dig your car, and WANT you to pick them up at school!

-- Admin

Admin

Sounds like a sweet baby!

| >The cost of one of those would pur a supercharger on Shug! | >

| >Kate | >98 Cobra Drop Top | >With a personal touch... or two. | >

| >| >| Posted via HorsePowered.com - The Internets Premiere Ford Mustang | >| >Community. | >| >|

SVTKate