In Ontario, texting retards are going away

No dumbass, that's how you decide when to go and when not to go. WTF would expect the idiot on the motorcycle to be going 85?? I might, some might but most people won't. Do not sit there and try to blame the moron at the stop sign for pulling out in from of an asshole on a motorcycle who was driving WAY too fast.

I've never seen an interstate with a 45MPH limit and it does not matter where he was he was going way over the limit.

Whatever, another cop hater in favor of motorcycle riders doing 85 with impunity.....

Reply to
WindsorFo

Bullshit. Technically by the letter of the law that may be true, but if you are doing 85 in traffic where someone may pull out, you are equally stupid. No excuse.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Where was a stop sign mentioned? The OP wrote 'pulled out in front of'. For all we know this was off the shoulder of a rural interstate. Unlike you I am not making dumbass assumptions, so kindly apply your name calling to yourself.

If you want to go around assuming everyone 'drives like you' you're going to end up dead in the USA.

Oh, and as I stated earlier, I've had people scream at me that I was 'going WAY too fast' when I've been bicycling at or even well below the speed limit. When some moron doesn't see you or decides to run a stop sign, or whatever, his first reaction will not be to admit his error but to blame the other person. The knee-jerk in the 'speed kills' USA is to blame the other driver's speed.

Lucky you. Here's one:

Now you have.

I'm sorry you cannot grasp thought beyond such a childish and simplistic level.

Reply to
Brent

Here we have "Fact:" succeeded by "probably". Doesn't seem right to me, somehow. Maybe if it said, "It's a Fact that I think IF he was going 85 ... might have been totally accurate". If you are going to argue about particulars, be particularly careful to say what you mean. Otherwise, someone can come along and drag red herrings and straw men across your path and leave you bewildered and bemused.

Yes, there is dumbass, well distributed throughout the population. It isn't of much help to point it out in a "discussion" because most everyone knows who is and who isn't carrying a load of it, and the carriers are immune to correction, as they have been desensitized by myriad such pointings-out; a waste of bandwidth in any case.

I traveled several miles on an interstate where the limit was 35, just a few weeks ago. Construction zone on I-10 south of Phoenix. I know that wasn't the kind of limit we're talking about, but there it was. If someone had been exceeding that limit by 40 MPH, no doubt s/he would be showing an aptitude for stupidity-induced behavior.

And without more information about the circumstances, I'd be likely to trust their judgement more readily than I'd trust any random motorcycle rider who might happen along.

When I was a lad, there was a concept of "Last clear chance" when determining responsibility for any given accident. I believe the Lawyer Nation has overwhelmed the basic honesty and usefulness of the idea that the person who had the last clear chance to avoid the crash should be held to account for it.

Looks to me as if the traffic-enterer was it, in this case: the motor-dumbass was committed well before the static driver moved the car.

That's not to say the motor-dumbass had /no/ responsibility, but I believe the majority lay elsewhere: the basic rule is that if you aren't certain you can complete a maneuver safely, you shouldn't initiate it.

If I were on a jury, had the motor-dumbass survived, I'd vote to convict him of some degree of murder.

I heard they took that stuff off the market. Never got to use any, myself.

I did a dumbass thing in Texas a few weeks ago: drove my plain old

2008 GT/CS Mustang convertible automatic Overdrive car 4200 RPM in Overdrive. It was a less-than-totally dumbass act, as the road was cleared and there was a 20-or-so-car caravan (twenty seconds apart) and a couple of "sweep" vehicles, including one with linked-in radio communication.

There are degrees of dumbass. It's way too easy in modern vehicles to get going very fast very quickly. Failure to make appropriate adjustments for conditions will winnow out the failures. Nobody said Darwin's dangerous idea wouldn't have costly consequences.

Cheers!

Reply to
Frank ess

Nice try. The looser was speeding. WAY to fast. He is as much at fault as the other person and no matter what you say nothing will absolve the speeders liability for driving at 85 MPH.

Reply to
WindsorFo

I'm sorry, I don't have the psychic abilities you must have to be able to know all the details, including the 'stop sign'. Would you mind sharing a url to actual news story since you must have at least enough info to find one.

My guess is you don't know any more than I do. You just see 85mph and knee-jerk. There's nothing magical about 85mph. It's just another speed. I've gone considerably faster than that on public roads, with and open to traffic, and LEGALLY*. It was the safest driving I've done in my life because the drivers I was sharing those roads (limited access highways) were competent.

*Outside the USA, if you didn't figure it out.
Reply to
Brent

IDGAFRA about any details other than "he was going 85 MPH." He knew what he was doing and he got the prize. You play stupid games and sometimes you win stupid prizes. it was a motorcycle, they get not seen ALL the time, he was going 85, that did aggravated the not seen part. DING! We have a winner.

Reply to
WindsorFo

So you do think 85mph is magically dangerous. This sort of sad, stupid, and dangerous american attitude needlessly kills people every year.

A little reading material:

Brent

Obviously you are either a super god or a moron. 85MPH in traffic on a motorcycle is dangerous. If you don't believe me, ask the moron that did it. Oh yeah, he won the stupid award, you can't ask. DING! It's unanimous, 85 on a bike in traffic is dangerous....

Reply to
WindsorFo

It's your idea that 85mph is stupid regardless of what sort of road it is or what the traffic conditions are (and probably vehicle) that is a display of ignorance.

Maybe some day you'll get to experience roads not populated by morons and then be able to understand. Try traveling to Germany. You'll get to explain to them how their normal cruising speed (~90mph) on the rural autobahn is "stupid" with their lower fatality rate than the US interstates. Maybe you can do the american thing there and sit in the left lane to slow everyone else down... well until a cop comes along anyway.

Reply to
Brent

Give up. You've lost, you're wrong and you just keep digging. I think the dip that pulled out in front of the moron going 85 proves US Interstates would not be safer with no speed limits.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Translation: You have no real argument to present.

This ought to make you soil your pants:

Unlike you apparently, I don't believe americans to be genetically stupid, it's an educational issue. One that seems to fix itself once the speed limits are set correctly or removed as the case may be.

Brent

No, the translation is "You just don't get it and never will."

Reply to
WindsorFo

I've driven well over 85mph safely and legally on public roads so your typical american HS blood on the highway BS just won't work in the face of actual knowledge.

US roads are full of control freaks and a-holes who endorse and often exist because of this stupid backwards system that sorta-kinda worked in the 1930s but has had absolutely no ability to scale. A system so screwed up that more and more micromanagement of people with the use of force and punishment is needed just to keep it from grinding to a halt. Driving should be enjoyed for what it is but instead it's got to be turned into a nightmare. People get so bored they start texting and doing other things.

The other night I had to wake someone up with the horn that the light had turned green. What were they doing? Watching the television on top of the dashboard!

Reply to
Brent

Bottom lines.... "where" you drive "what" speed makes a difference...

You state you have driven 85 mph 'legally'... that wont happen in Alberta... it probably wasn't happening where Riches drivel started...

People are dead because of multiple mistakes... all of them preventable... I'm sure the dead motorcyclist is extremely happy that the other driver was doing something wrong TOO...

Most days, I can't go far without having to adjust for someone elses error... I have to take defensive action because they pushed a light... or they didn't notice a signal... or they didn't stop when they should have... or they were going too fast for the conditions (going too fast for the conditions)...

I said it once... I'll say it again... if people didn't make mistakes, there would be no accidents... If only one person makes a mistake and the other people that may be involved in this persons mistake are vigilant... problems can possibly be averted... This is one of those cases...

Your logic is flawed... like Rich.. all you want to do is justify going too fast for existing conditions... have fun with it.... Hopefully, everyone else will be vigilant and will avoid compounding your mistake..... or, at least, you wont find a psychotic relative of one of your victims willing to cut your heart out and feed it to you....

Mistakes are there to be made... missing a sign, not seeing an oncoming (believe me.. a motorcyclist is often lost in "background clutter"), mistakes we all make every day and not only while driving.... Texting while driving... exceeding posted speed limits... exceeding logical speed limits (and this isn't just limited to weather conditions) are PLANNED....

You have some sort of devoti>> Brent wrote:

Reply to
Jim Warman

You can either treat the cause or you can treat the symptoms. The north american way of ever more restriction, enforcement, and penalty to decrease the results, the symptoms of stupidity has been a failure. It continues to be a failure. All it does is create violators and a general disrespect of the rules of the road as a whole.

Um No. It's sad that you think that and can't think beyond that, but not surprising given the level of north american education and propoganda.

It seems that the only argument you and others have to make is one of trying to personally paint me as some speed racer killer. Sorry. I'm the slow poke you average drivers are pissed off at and tailgating. Why? Because of the enforcement and penalties you endorse, I'm driving that stupidly low speed limit while you average types drive speed limit +5 or 10 or 15 or whatever the cops generally allow typical average people most of the time on a given road.

Again, you can address the symptoms with laws, enforcement, and punishment and have anywhere from zero to negative results for safety but great profits and power for government or you can address the causes. You can keep dumbing things down and getting dumber drivers as a result. You can treat people like children and get a 'what-I-can-get-away-with' mentality, or you can treat them as adults and get a responsible mentality.

Study after study proves the view I have is correct. I should I say I have the view that I have because study after study after study shows it to be the path to safety. There's a reason why Autobahn is safer than the interstates. There's a reason why interstates with increased speed limits (closer to the 85th percentile) see fewer collisions.

In the end I have best engineering practice,studies, and data. You have insults, emotional appeals, and gore.

No, that's your simplistic view you assign me because you can't comprehend anything more complicated.

Why don't you start reading about 85th percentile method and get back to me. I'll repeat, I just want to go the same speed as 'everyone else' does. I'm tired of choosing between my safety and being ticketed. I'm tired of driving so slowly that my risk of collision is much higher than the minimum. But driving a speed that minimumizes risk is subject to fines and other penalties.

Your method has been tried for something like 80 years. It has failed. Better methods have been known for most if not all that time. Where they have been tried they've worked. Even in the USA.

Brent

My God..... didn't you read what you wrote? You can treat the cause or you can treat the symptom.... WOW - what a nugget of insight...

Stupidity is the human way.... distractions... brain farts.... poor judgement.... inability to process multiple inputs in the required time allotment (read that as that split second before someones says "oh, f*ck").... These are the building blocks of humanity.... you imagine yourself as perfect.... you are human, therefore you are much less than perfect.... all of us are....

How would you treat this cause? Declare open season on speed limits and allow attrition to decide the winners and losers?

At one point you state that you only want to go the same speed as everyone else.... We aren't talking about you (as mch as you might desire us to talk about you) - we are talking about some dead shmuck that used to ride a motorcycle at 85 MPH.... was he going the same speed as everyone else?

I'm gonna top post this because it clouds your judgement....

Reply to
Jim Warman

You want everyone to go slow so the crashes don't hurt as much. I want to prevent the crashes.

When you dumb down the system you just get build better idiots. What's happened by using your system for decades? Have things improved? No, we get greater and greater idiotcy that results in more and more laws and more and more government management of our lives. Where's it going to stop? Viewscreens in our homes for our 'safety'? At what point do we stop expecting government to take care of us through the use of force on us?

Of course there are 'mistakes', but if we are going to drive to tolerate all sorts of brain farts that might happen, you better want to drive at or below bicycling speeds at all times.

Anyway, the data supports a view of more freedom and less overbearing control leads to greater safety. Experiments have even been done to remove traffic all control devices in some locations of great complexity and safety increased and congestion decreased. I don't believe that extreme will work everywhere, but the experiment does prove that the self-ordering works better than trying to control everything from central command.

The more force that is applied the more out of control we can expect the roads to become. The worse safety will be. The more crashes there will be. I know you're not interested in reading any cites so I won't bother digging out any more. After 80 years or so, the speed-kills-control model is a failure. Problem is, that's been known on some level for like

60 years.

I see you still have no real argument to present. All speed limits could disappear tomorrow and actual road speeds will remain nearly unchanged. I'll speed up to the mean or slightly above it where maximum safety is so will other slow drivers. That's about all that would happen. A speeding ticket never discouraged someone who was actually reckless.

Do I need to quote you? You were quite obvious. It's below. As to the 85mph motorcyclist mentioned by the OP. WE DO NOT KNOW if he was going the speed of traffic or not. But some people knee jerk when they hear '85mph'. Without the exact circumstances it's meaningless by itself. 55mph is more than enough to have killed him. If the driver pulled out 3 feet in front of him he's as good as dead at 40mph.

No, you're going to top post because you're lazy (want me to clean up the quoted material and you want what I wrote to be ignored and your version inserted in its place.

Reply to
Brent

OK.. I see where I was mistaken.... let's all drive real fast and attrition will decide who the good drivers are or aren't....

Unfortunately, the bad drivers are going to take some good drivers with them - right?

But you don't need to worry because there's no way it can happen to you....

I have deleted all other text... because, by the time you get here, you should already know what all the other text is about...

Top posting is "lazy".... that's a bit of a stretch, ain't it?

Reply to
Jim Warman

I see you're totally incapable of rational discussion.

Take a trip to Germany some time. Expand your horizons. Learn something.

Reply to
Brent