installed steeda short throw shifter this weekend

did it myself in less than an hour on my mach 1. installation was a breeze. i bought a gasket kit from a source that was metioned here. one of the holes in the gasket didn't line up exactly, so i had to modify it a bit, but no big deal.

one stumbling block i has was the removal of the shifter from the gear box. the steeda instructions suggested putting the shifter all the way back and pulling to the side. the seal was really tight. it wouldn't budge. i saw elsewhere a recommendation to put a block of wood against it and give it a good blow with a rubber mallet.

instead of doing that, i re-attached the top part of the shifter with the two bolts. that gave me a lot more leverage to pull. i pulled toward the driver's side, and it came right off.

one other question... the directions for setting the stop bolts directed me to put the shifter in third gear. then to push up fairly hard on the shifter to make contact with the stop bolt. my shifter would not move up at all. i put a fairly decent amount of pressure on it, but it just would not move. so in the end what i did was to just back of the stop bolt the requisite amount and leave it at that. sound like i'll be OK?

Reply to
bitbucket

This was my first mod on my 2001 GT with the Tremec 3650 5 speed. Did it July 4th. I also ended up re-attaching the stock handle to remove the old unit, very easy and surprising no one saw this simple solution. I don't have a rubber mallet or wood lying around, this way was so easy.

At Tremec's suggestion I removed the stop bolts completely. The transmission has internal stops that can take 1000 pounds of force. Leaving the stops in place and misadjusting them can cause damage by not allowing the lever to fully engage a gear. This could bend a shift fork or worse. I think I'd really have to struggle to overshift as it is much easier to feel the gear shift now, much more sensation from the new shifter.

I also took the opportunity to change the transmission fluid to Redline's D4 ATF for hopefully improved shifts and dropped the fluid level to 3.4 quarts. My 3650 is one of the first in service (April 2001) and does not care to go from 1st to 2nd easily, cold or warm. 2nd to third shifts are also accompanied by internal clashing that you can feel as friction on the lever. The Tri Axe makes this more apparent, but easier to control if I need to slow my shift to wait for the internals to catch up.

Enjoy the new feel!

Dave

Reply to
Dave R.

Sounds good. I think on the newer tremec transmissions you don't even need to set the stops anymore because they have internal stops.. Older T5 models did not and the tri-ax stops were life-savers. What car is this on ?

How's the noise with that gasket ? I still need to install mine. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

| At Tremec's suggestion I removed the stop bolts completely. The transmission | has internal stops that can take 1000 pounds of force. Leaving the stops in

do you have a reference for this suggestion? i haven't seen that one before.

Reply to
bitbucket

| Sounds good. I think on the newer tremec transmissions you don't even | need to set the stops anymore because they have internal stops.. Older | T5 models did not and the tri-ax stops were life-savers. | What car is this on ?

'04 mach 1

| How's the noise with that gasket ? I still need to install mine.

the noise is marginally more apparent, but not too much. not anywhere enough for me to complain...

Reply to
bitbucket

I prefer to do these this way, a nice hit with the palm and it breaks free. It just helps insure I don't mark/scratch anyones center console in its removal.

TIM -aka- MUSTTANGUY "at" AOL "dot" COM

Musttanguy

Ok, you don't need to set the stops on this model. Just back them out all the way or remove them.

I need to put the gasket on one of these days....but it's too damn hot outside ! Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

At Tremec's suggestion I removed the stop bolts completely. The transmission has internal stops that can take 1000 pounds of force. Leaving the stops in

Here is a quote I copied from this site:

Tremec Transmissions Service Bulletin 03.01

Subject: Aftermarket Shifter Stops

Transmission Models Affected: All

Severe damage may be caused by installing an aftermarket shifter with "shift stops" on any TREMEC transmission. All TREMEC transmissions are designed and manufactured with built-in shift stops to prevent over shifting. Therefore; shift stops on aftermarket shifters are totally unnecessary when used on a TREMEC transmission. TREMEC "TR series" transmissions have multiple shift rails with shift stops on the gearing. TREMEC "T series" transmissions have a single shift rail system with stops built into the guide plate.

When installing an aftermarket shifter on a TREMEC transmission it is best to remove the shift stops to avoid miss adjustment, and the potential of the screws vibrating lose. A misadjusted shift stop can cause an under-shift, which may lead to a gear jump-out situation. If the transmission jumps out of gear, the shift fork can be bent causing permanent damage to the transmission. Shift forks can also be damaged by "clash shifting". A clash is caused by a missed shift.

Neither an "under-shift", nor a "clash shift" can be prevented by shift stops. TREMEC shift forks are designed to take loads up to 1,000 lbs. However, a gear jump-out may well exceed 1,000 lbs. of force, which may result in a permanently damaged transmission.

Thank you to the web site author for his experience and willingness to share. This site has taught me a lot and helped with the transplant.

Dave

Reply to
Dave R.