Insurance price went down with my Mustang

I had been looking at Mustangs for the last year, and was concerned that my insurance would go up into the $100 range. I'd talked to some friends of mine who had sporty cars, and some of them were paying upwards to $119... So I was surprised that when I bought a '98 V6 last month, my insurance was only $62 a month. I was paying $54 for my 1991 Grand Prix SE. I'm 25, have full coverage with a $500 deductable, and perfect driving record.

How does this compare to other Mustang owners? Whats the average for a 2004? Or a 2004 GT? I'm thinking about going for a new Mustang in the next 2 or 3 years... what kind of rates would I be looking at?

Later, Shaun!

--------

Check out my Homepage

delete Nospam from e-mail to reply!

Reply to
Shadowhawk

Ok, I just realized my post title was a little misleading. I meant to say something like it was cheaper then I thought it would be... oops... I gotta get the "Stupid Check" installed on my computer.

Later, Shaun!

--------

Check out my Homepage

delete Nospam from e-mail to reply!

Reply to
Shadowhawk
** I had been looking at Mustangs for the last year, and was concerned that my ** insurance would go up into the $100 range. I'd talked to some friends of mine ** who had sporty cars, and some of them were paying upwards to $119... ** So I was surprised that when I bought a '98 V6 last month, my insurance was ** only $62 a month. I was paying $54 for my 1991 Grand Prix SE. ** I'm 25, have full coverage with a $500 deductible, and perfect driving ** record. ** ** How does this compare to other Mustang owners?

Depends on what you mean by 'full coverage'. I just dropped comp/collision on my '98 GT, dumped UM ($3500 limit on PD and zero coverage for H/R driver, so it's a waste of money IMO), dropped med payments, towing, and dropped liability down to $100,000. I now pay about $300/yr. ($25/mo.)

If your comp/collision rates X 10 are more than the low book value of the car, consider dropping it and self-insure, esp. if you're an above-average driver.

I can get it down to about $200/yr. if I drop the liability down to the CA min. $35,000.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

$352.00 a year for a 96 V6 conv. Shelter Insurance. Multi car homeowner discount.

Screw full coverage, never had it never will. The money I save I buy savings bonds with and sit on them in case I have a claim I can settle it myself. Why give your money away?

C8oe

Reply to
W3tac8oe

I think I pay a little under $90 a month for both my car and my home-owners policy. They come as one bill through State Farm. The Jeep is on a separate bill from State Farm.

Full coverage on a 1998 Mustang GT. Married, multi-car discount, 31 years of age.

Reply to
Tungsten

I am jealous of all of you...For me and my wife, on my 2003 V6 Mustang and her 2002 Dodge Neon, we pay 415/month...she has a perfect record, and I have had 2 tickets, but no points on my license...

Reply to
Shane Metzler

This is depressing.

Last summer I had full coverage with the highest deductibles (=lowest rate) I could get.

$4600/year on my '96 V6. I guess my problem is being born male just under

21 years ago... despite the fact that I have never been in an accident, had a speeding ticket, parking ticket, nose-picking ticket, etc.

This year I've dropped my collision/comprehesive, etc. Just Liability and have pulled out $3200/year (Canadian funds, BTW).

*Sigh*, it's worth it.

Greg Browne

'96 Vee-siques, Phi-Speed Steeda Tri-Ax Short Shifter

  • MUN Engineering - Centre for Marine Simulation, MI
  • Work Term 2 of 6
  • Electrical Engineering
  • Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
  • Memorial University of Newfoundland
  • Academic Term 3 of 8 Completed
  • snipped-for-privacy@engr.mun.ca
  • Webmaster -
    ****************************************************--They call me 'Mister'-- > > So I was surprised that when I bought a '98 V6 last month, my insurance was
Reply to
Greg Browne
** Screw full coverage, never had it never will. ** The money I save I buy savings bonds with and sit on them in case I have a ** claim I can settle it myself. Why give your money away?

A wise move. Unless you're charged with causing wreck in the first place, you will never have to touch it. There's nothing wrong with self-insurance, especially if you're a decent driver.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

at 20 Apr 2004, Tungsten [ snipped-for-privacy@nospamramfm.org] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

About $50 a month on my 95 V6. Multi car policy with road side assistance. Granted, I am a homeowner. It could even be lower but I'm in Hillsborough county where rates for car insurance are higher than the surrounding counties.

Reply to
Paul

I noticed the MMNA affiliation in your signature. What's become of that group? We had a MM chapter in Nashville ever so briefly but it ended up fizzling due to poor mangement.

Basically the guy who started the local chapter didn't stick with it and lacked the charisma necessar y to attract members to an upstart organization. The MCA's local club has a pretty strong hold on the area too, so that was another deciding factor in the MM-Nashville's fate.

Oh well. Just curious! I saw a MM-Tampa sticker on the side glass of one SN95 car this past weekend at the 40th and that sort of got my mind wandering.

Reply to
Tungsten

at 20 Apr 2004, Tungsten [ snipped-for-privacy@nospamramfm.org] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It's very much alive and kickin. Several 100 members in the Tampa area alone with related chapters in Sarasota, Jacksonville, Orlando etc. It does take a lot to build it up and keep it running. As does any club. I've not seen much of MCA down here though...

MMNA is what MMTB (Modern Mustangs of Tampa Bay) evolved into. I believe one of the Tampa members now works in Tennesee for the IRS, it's probably his Mustang you saw. There may be an ohio chapter soon as one of the active members got posted out of MacDill to his new duty station somewhere in Ohio. :-)

Reply to
Paul

Hillsborough as in Florida?

hmm... don't complain. You could be paying Miami-Dade insurance rates...

*throws rocks at the uninsured masses*

well over $1500 for my car. :-(

Reply to
Snowy Rose

RIDICULOUS! I have an almost-spotless driving record (be squeaky clean in november) and I pay damn near 300 a month for an 84 Celica GTS 4-banger, 93 Dodge Dynasty, and 77 Chev Caprice. LIABILITY ONLY on all 3. Guess its because I am 18 and male, but still, talk about a RIP. For full coverage on ANYTHING would be at least 400 a month.

If there is one thing I can't stand, it is insurance. I could afford a brand new car or truck, but I REFUSE to pay more to INSURE the thing than to BUY it.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

at 20 Apr 2004, Snowy Rose [pikachu14 @ mindspring.com] wrote in news:VFjhc.16891$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Yup, Tampa Bay, fl...

OMG! I'm definately not complaining anymore. $1500/yr for a Focus? :-( Anyhow, in the next 5 to 7 years we plan on moving over 1 county to Polk. Which is only about 20 miles east of where we are now. That should lower both our car and home owners insurance quite a bit...

Reply to
Paul

Welcome to the machine, my son. You've just landed on one of life's great truths. Namely, that insurance is just legalized racketeering.

Reply to
Tungsten

i only pay 130.00 for full coverage on my 93 mustang 5.0 and liability on a

Reply to
Josh Keen

I pay $2400 per year for my 03 GT convertible, and I'm an old fart with no claims, ever. But I'm near Los Angeles, and all insurance is high here. I was quoted over $4000 by my old insurance company, but I found Progressive had the best rates in my area. I was thinking of getting a Cobra 'vert, and my insurance would only be about $150 more per year.

To cheer you guys up, I have a friend who pays over $4000 per MONTH. But he's a rap star, and has a tricked-out Hummer, Lamborghini Murcielago, SVT Lightning, two Escalades and a Suburban. But at nearly $50K per year for insurance still brings tears to his eyes.

Reply to
Scudder

My heart aches for his plight. No, really. :-)

Reply to
Tungsten

That's for all six, right!!

Reply to