Intake Manifold (cont'd)

Well, I called a local car shop (one of the only ones w/ a decent reputation) and we talked for a while... they did work on my mom's old car (head gasket).. anyway. Somebody here had me pretty scared saying it costed him/her $750 approx. to get his/her replaced. Well... it's not too far from that, but far enough to make me not wanna do it myself. I'm buying the intake manifold from a local ford dealership ($250 + tax).. and then they're charging $230 + tax for oil, oil filter, coolant, and labor. Total (with tax included) comes to about $519. It's quite a relief. I was reaaaally hoping I didn't have to pay $750 (and I wouldn't have... unless I tried it myself & failed). Anyway. I appreciate the feedback =).

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc

My 1998 Mustang GT

Reply to
memsetpc

Do you realize you can probably get reimbursed for that item from Ford because it is a defective part in some years? According to my info, 1998 is covered. I said in earlier post but will say again: I went to the dealership

*after* having gotten work done by local repair shop I trust, showed receipt to them, filled out small form, they mailed it off, about 4 days later I received a check for full amount from Ford.

Here is some more info I gathered from this newsgroup about three weeks ago when mine went out:

: Edmonston says the Ford engine problem is caused by inherently defective

4.6L engine intake manifolds. These manifolds are manufactured out of plastic and have an abnormal tendency to crack, leading to overheating and in many cases complete engine failure and/or damage to other parts of the car's engine.

: Ford has offered to replace these defective intake manifolds free or charge for cars purchased by police forces and taxi cab companies. However, says Edmonston, Ford has yet to offer such a "recall" to individual consumers who purchased the same cars.

: The following models equipped with Ford's 4L, V8 engine may have defective engine manifolds:

: Mercury Grand Marquis (1996-2001); : Ford Mustang (1996-2001); : Ford Explorer (1996-2001); : Ford Crown Victoria (1996-2001); : Lincoln Town Car (1996-2001); : Mercury Cougar (1996-1997); : Ford Thunderbird (1996-1997), : and all Mercury Grand Marquis (1996-2001). : Edmonston also says that intake gasket failures are a chronic problem with General Motors 3.1L, 3.4L, and 3.8L V6 engines produced from roughly 1995 through 2001, as well as the V8 used in SUVs and trucks. GM's Venture and Montana minivans are particularly prone to having these failures.

: Edmonston says a poorly designed plastic intake manifold gasket that is leak-prone allows Dex-Cool (orange) antifreeze to leak into the engine, causing the failure.

: Edmonston recommends that owners with defective engine intake manifolds, not covered by the original warranty, should ask their service manager to make a "goodwill" or emissions warranty application to GM or Ford. If no refund is offered, consumers should have the repair done at an independent garage and use that garage's report as proof in small claims court. :

Reply to
Scotter

Can you give me a web-site address with that information on it so I can confront my local Ford dealership with it? Maybe that'll be more convincing for them to fix it for free. Thanks.

-Mike

Reply to
memsetpc