Is Feeding Your Mustang Getting Expensive?

Yes, gas prices are up, but are they're not as high as you think.

The first column is the price of gas at the time. The second column is that price adjusted to 2004 dollars. (Note: The astrick indicates leaded fuel.)

1919* $0.25 $2.75

1929* $0.21 $2.34

1939* $0.19 $2.52

1949* $0.27 $2.10

1959* $0.31 $1.96

1969* $0.35 $1.77

1979* $0.84 $2.21

1989 $1.02 $1.48

1999 $1.17 $1.27

Do these numbers make you feel any better?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

Not really, because I didn't start buying gas until 1998, at that time it was alot cheaper. Also, in 1998-03, I was driving mustangs, which get great mileage compared to my lightning ;) Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

Well since I've got my new engine in the Galaxie and found out that 94 octane is just shy of enough octane I just stopped caring how much gas costs. I've also started taking mental note of every Sunoco station in the areas I usually travel, and which ones are open late. I was surprised when I pulled into a Sunoco today and after I started filling the tank looked at the price of the gas... It was only $1.809 for my 94 octane. All the other Sunoco's I had been to were charging $1.90-$1.95.

In any case, I need 94 octane at the bare minimum to prevent my new engine from turning itself into a molton heap of slag. The price of 94 octane isn't even advertised on the big signs out front... They know that if you need 94 it doesn't matter how much it cost 'cause you gotta have it and they are the only ones that have it.

I don't care though, because I'm paying less for 94 octane than people pay for 87 octane in many parts of the country.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

No, considering that in 1919 you weren't being taxed up to 50% (collectively / federal income, provincial income, sales tax, goods and service tax, canada pension plan) on your gross income. Not to mention the group insurance most companys have today. Whats your "tax freedom day" in the US? In canada its somewhere end of June early July.

Reply to
Jafo

I had to sell my airplane last year because of my wife's illness, but AvGas is now over 3 bucks a gallon, and my Cessna 150 got about 5-6 gallons per hour (at 120 mph cruise - on a good day), so my GT getting 20 mpg ain't so bad....

Reply to
Ralph Snart

Well, everywhere around here (South Jersey) sells 93 octane. Some brews of

93 are better than others. To make a long story short, Mobil 93 octane _stinks_! For that matter I've found that in both my '67 289 and '68 302 ran better when I did _not_ use Mobil gas. That goes for their 87 and 89 octane too. My two beater cars, an '86 Prelude and an '86 Calais didn't make any difference what gas I put in them though.

So you can get high octane gas elsewhere, but Sunoco sells the highest octane gas around here. As far as I know it's the highest octane pump gas available anywhere. Beyond Ultra 94 you get into 100+ octane racing fuels, some of which are leaded. That stuff can get expensive and isn't always easy to find.

Not bad, that's about what 87 goes for around these parts.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Not sure what it was in 1919, but in 1910 the tax rate for everyone, with no deductions available for anything, was a flat 10%. I have a copy of the form someplace in one of my files.

In 1970 and 71, in the Seattle-Tacoma area, I was paying anywhere from

25 cents to 50 cents a gallon, depending upon which station... not 7-11 gas but standard, shell, etc. They were having gas wars then. And you still got FULL service and stamps and glassware,/silverware/or whatever.

Of course I have paid as much a $8 US for a Liter >No, considering that in 1919 you weren't being taxed up to 50% (collectively

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

I'm in California where it's over $2 per gallon.... of course with the tax our extreme left wing liberals forced through to pay for all their freebie programs it isn't a surprise. Of course those who scream the loudest for more tax on gogo juice are those who can afford it at any price. It's always those who are in the middle and bottom who actually foot the bills. Then they force "special" gas down our throats to clean the air. What do they find? It's worse than the old stuff. So the state tried to do away with it and the feds stepped in and told the state they had to keep on producing and using it.

V'ger jma(NO SPAM)@snowcrest.net

1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 Burgundy w/ Black Std Interior 289 ci 4v V8 A Code Dual Exhaust C4 Auto 8" Trak Lok Vintage 40 wheels BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS 225/50ZR-16 tires Petronix Electronic Ignition components oem am radio and am-fm-10cd changer with 7.5" dvd player 120w kick panel speakers Built in San Jose on my birthday, May 10th ; )
Reply to
V'ger

Thanks, Patrick. You've graphically illustrated why I never complain about gas prices. Not that cheaper gas would be a *bad* thing. Relatively, on average it hasn't done anything.

Now, if you wanna compare ticket prices of sporting events, you'll hear some screamin'!! >:O

-- John C. '03 Cobra Convt. (the thirsty one)

Reply to
John C.

What's amazing to me is that we complain when we have to pay two bucks for a gallon of gas, but we willingly and needlessly pay close to six bucks for a gallon of water!

Reply to
joe

AMEN! Bottled water is MUCH more expensive than gasoline.

LJH

95GT

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

Personally I am SICK of all the whining about the cost of gasoline. Adjusted for inflation gas is NOT more expensive. Even if it were, each person has control over how much he pays for gas. If you choose to drive a gas guzzler, then if follows that you choose to pay a lot more for gas. I am perfectly OK with people who make this choice. It's only their whining after the fact that disgusts me.

LJH

95GT (a gas guzzler)

Reply to
Larry Hepinstall

In a word.... NO! :-P

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

ROFL, I remember Rush once comparing the price of gasoline to a bottle of Snapple. I was rolling...

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Nor is gas for boats, which tend to drink gas like a dehydrated animal drinks water. Last time I checked gas was ~$2.40 per gallon on the water.

The Crusader 220 (Ch*vy 305) in my dad's Chris-Craft gets 5-6 gallons per hour, and has a stately cruising speed of 10 knots. The 40HP Nissan on my Glastron gets about 3-4 GPH at it's cruising speed of 25 knots (but I need a new cruising prop; I've got a ski prop on there now that just kills top end speed).

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Actually, there is a gas station in my area that gives you a free 20 oz dasani water with 10 gallons of gas or more :) It works out good for me since I burn about 10 gallons a day, lol! Erik D. '94 white lightning

Reply to
Erik D.

So with the current prices being ~$2.00/gallon, it has only been this bad once (about 25 years ago) since I was born. Nope, I don't feel any better.

Steve

72 Skylark
Reply to
A Guy Named Steve

I KNEW I bought this damn Talon for a reason

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
of all the old cars
Reply to
TurboMike

"TurboMike" wrote

Same reason my next 'stang will be a V6.

Reply to
Scott Williams