Is Ford Running on Empty?

The trick was to get one, and the woman would follow. When my one neighbor ask were was my 2005 GT convertible was. I told him I sold it because I was picking up a 2007 in a week or two. He asked my why an eighty year old guy like me keeps buying Mustang GT convertibles. I told him don't tell my wife, but I'm picking up your stuff. He said you are? Sure I had this babe after me the other day and she could not have been a day over 55 ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Well, im talking about from 97 to 99 (for sure 99, maybe 2000). I had a 1997 F250, the styling was the same as the F150's of the year. There wa also an f250 that year that was the styling of the F350s

What I had was what i'm calling the lighter duty f250... f*ck, maybe itwas the same truck, i dunno, i just know it was a hell of a lot tougher truck than my 02 f150

Reply to
Picasso

oh there could be, back in 97 the f250LD was more a beefed up f150, than a tuned down 350, like it appears to be now.

Reply to
Picasso

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

The buy more 'tickets' (vehicles) from BM and Ford than any import. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

One reason is Toyota does a terrific job of adverting their vehicles as being more fuel efficient, better quality and made in the US. None of which is factual.

mike hint

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Perhaps, but not if the Toyotas recall 'trend' continues and buyers start to realize Toyotas superior quality is more myth than fact. ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

The Toyotas that are assembled in Kentucky, have more US made parts in them than do Fords assembled here. Lets not even start counting all the Ford & Daimler-Chrysler cars and trucks and engines being made in Mexico...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Toyota has a higher CAFE for cars than Ford and about 2/3 of the content of the vehicles Toyotas sells is US-made (which is significantly less than Ford and GM - I think about 80% for them).

And many of the models are assembled in the US, like the Sienna, which has the highest content of any minivan sold in the US.

And many people perceive that Toyotas have excellent quality.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

It's not??? Where is the Camry made? Is a Nissan Titan made in the US??

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Oh, Oh! In 1992 I purchased a brand new Dodge Ram 150. Short wheel base, Magnum V8, 240HP, 5 speed manual 3.56 10" rear. It was as close to a factory hot rod as you could get in 92 and only the weight kept it just behind a 92 GT Mustang.

Two Weeks after I bought it, Toyota ran a TV ad the claimed "more horse power than any other truck." I forget the actual number but it was under 200HP. When confronted all local dealers could say was "huh, how about that."

Yeah, I get better milage with more power than the "multi-displacement" Hemi.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Was it any other truck or any other midsize pickup? The Freightliner trackor (for tractor trailors) comes in a 515 HP version. I suspect they were comparing midsize pickups. The Ram is a full-size pickup.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I rember those adds. If you read the fine print at the bottom of the ad it stipulated the claim was base engine versus base engine. In this areana, the 3.0l in the early T-100's had an advantage over the 3.9l V6 that was base in your Dodge, the 4.3l V6 in the Chevy, or the 4.9l I6 in the Ford. It was a car engine and Toyota sacrificed torque in favor of HP numbers.

The same thing is happening today with Chevrolet's ad claiming most availiable horsepower in a light truck (> 1 tonne). Everyone knows in gas engines the V10 in the 3/4 tonne Ram out powers all Chevy offerings and both the CTD and PSD far surpass any Chevy offerings. Read the print at the bottome of the ad stipulating gasoline powered V8's. Chevy offers a 496 ci (8.1l) gasoline V8. Ford and Dodge both use V10's for large displacement gasoline applications. Actually the spec's between Ford's Triton V10, Dodge's Magnum V10, and Chevrolet's Vortec big block V8 are pretty close. At last I checked a slight edge in HP went to the Chevy, Torque to the Dodge, and economy to the Ford.

KAM.

PS: Notice how I left out the alum> Michael Johns>

Reply to
Madmax

What I said was Toyota give the impression their cars are far more fuel efficient than domestic which is not factual. CAFE is based on weighted sales. The CAFE for the Camry looks high because eight out to ten Camrys sold in the US have only a 4 cy engine, while most of it competitors have a V6 as standard. equipment. GM and Ford offer more models that get 30 MPG or more than dies Toyota. Toyota does have smaller cars that get better mileage but their Trucks and SUVs are not better or as good as some of the SUVs and trucks or similar size and engines and around half of the vehicles sold in the US are trucks and SUVs. Someone recently compared GMs Cobalt to the Corolla but the Corolla has a smaller engine. Smaller cars and truck with smaller engines can get better mileage but many drivers do not buy for fuel economy alone, and will not be satisfied with underpowered cars just to get a few miles more per gallon, I suspect.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

While stationed over seas in Germany for 4 years, two Simcas, one VW bug, a Jetta, after getting out of the service I was given a Datsun 510 sedan, what a piece of shit that was. Engine could puke a headgasket faster than a Vega, and the Borg-Warner automatic made a lemon look sweet. and I had a VW transporter for awhile, nightmare on elm street fuel injection system, and leak oil worse than a Detroit two stroke. The Simca's were hot and cold, the 1500 was a nice car, but no oil pump, splasher system (this was a 72 year model) so one had to be careful , The Bagheera on the other hand I would have loved to bring back, mid engine 3 bucket seats abreast, with minor engine mods it was fast as hell and corner like a dream.

For those not in the know, the Simca 1100 series was the basis for the Omniand Horizon. so I've owned a few foreign cars, worked on almost every brand, asian and european from Yugos and Hyundai's, to Jag s,Rolls, and Bentleys, I'll stick with American Iron, they last longer, and over a lifetime, need less work.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Wondered if you could help me out. I've got the above Mustang for sale. Has less than 20,000 miles. I've kept it garaged, wiped down the engine after every stroll, have babied it. It's like new.

I've had it listed in newspapers, online, since July with plenty hits, but with very few interested calls. What is it about the Mach's?

Oh, and I've gone down to $18,000

Can you give me some advice?

Reply to
Susie Weaver

The 2005+ stangs are giving a lot of competition to the older ones sales so the dealers are loaded with pre 2005 models.

I just purchased a cherry 2003 GT Convertible automatic Centenial Edition with 16k on it for $15,700 from a dealer. One owner car and all service records.

Wait until the 2006 Ford Factory Incentives end and you might have a better chance.

Reply to
Richie