Is There Room For A New Tiger In Ford's Lineup?

With Ford now producing a new GT(-40), T-bird, Mach 1, and soon a retro-inspired '05 Mustang and two-seat Cobra, I got to wondering if they've given any thought into reviving the Sunbeam Tiger. Now think about it for a minute. Honda has the S2000, Mazda the Miata, BMW has the Mini, and Pontiac will soon have Solstice, so why shouldn't Ford get into the $20K-$30K two-seater market? I don't think a new Tiger wouldn't steal any potential Mustang buyers, as they're completely different markets. The only problem I can see is the use of the "Tiger" name. Anyone know who has rights to it?

So what do you think?

If you're not sure what a Tiger is, check out this site and link:

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

I think it would be tough for Ford to fit a Mod motor in it.

Now think

I think Chrysler bought it from Ford? I saw one at a car show with a Chrysler badge and they still used a Ford 302 motor. Seems it was like a

1970 or 71, something like that.
Reply to
Gill

You're not the first to have this thought.

When you start from scratch many things are possible.

Let me clarify a couple of things. Ford never owned the rights to the Tiger, never made a Tiger, never sold a Tiger. What Ford did was sell engine and transmissions to the Rootes Group in England. The Rootes group was the maker of several different makes of Cars. Such classics as Humber, Sunbeam, Hillman. The Tiger is essentially a Sunbeam Alpine with a V8 swap and a stronger rear axle. That said, there are many differences in the bodies of an Alpine and Tiger. A close examination can tell whether a given body began life as a Tiger or not.

The first 7000 or so Tiger were equipped with a Ford 260 2V and a close ratio toploader. The last 532 Tigers were equipped with 289 2v and a wide ratio toploader. These last Tigers are called Mark II Tigers. Shortly before the Mk2 were introduced, The Rootes Group was bought out by Chrysler. At this point the engine badge on the side of the car was changed. It used to say 260 Powered by Ford. Now it said Sunbeam V8. The shame of selling a car powered by your competitors engine was too great for Chrysler and they canceled the Tiger. This was in 1967.

I believe that Chrysler sold the Rootes group stuff to a French carmaker, Peugeot I think. Now I think that BMW bought them out, so BMW owns the Tiger name. Thats a lot of I think and I believe. I am remembering some emails a while back on the Tiger list. I am too lazy to go search right now.

contains a wealth of information on Tigers as well.

They are great cars and a lot of fun

There will be a huge gathering of Sunbeams of all types in Park City Utah from July 4 thru July 9. The center of things is The Canyons Resort in Park City. See

for more details. There will be a lot of historical Tigers there. The first prototype built by Carrol Shelby A Tiger that Ran at LeMans in 64 and more. Ole Shelby will put in an appearance as well.

I think it is a great idea, but Ford won't do it. If they do they won't call it a Tiger.

Erich with a Tiger in the garage.

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner

To clarify further the use of the word "swap" as others here are discussing it: If the car was assigned a V8 VIN for production and never had another engine installed in the first place, then it is *not* a swap.

CobraJet

Reply to
CobraJet

CJ You're right. Swap was a poor choice of verbs. A more accurate one is Shoehorned. :)

The market places a premium on a Tiger that left the factory with a V8 vs an Alpine that somebody stuck a V8 in. A condition 2 Tiger will go for $20 to $25K. An Alpine in like condition tops out around 11 to 12K.

Reply to
Kathy and Erich Coiner