Is This Ford's New 7-Liter 427?

Thanks. Thanks a heap.

That little 302 I was looking at a few years ago (TFrog's future) has gone up a whopping $1,500 since. Now I'm going to have to rethink the whole thing.

After all, TFrog's only got 208,000 on the original motor, and I have to wonder whether the extra scratch is worth taking it from its rated 205hp up to 340hp.

Yeah. Yeah, it probably is.

No doubt, Ford is pulling its "big block surprise" out of its truck line. We shall see.

dwight

dwight

There is nothing in the truck line to pull out. Ford trucks don't have a true big block engine (4.2L OHV V-6, 4.6L OHC V-8, 5.4L OHC V-8,

6.8L OHC V-10), so I can't see where they pull a surprise from.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

"C. E. White" wrote in news:47345061@kcnews01:

The 7-liter is also rumored to have pushrods:

Joe

Joe wrote in news:Xns99E28E9A15C24nospamforme@

216.77.188.18:

Looking at that site, where are the other big block crate motors? I thought Ford offered several based on the 385 block (429-460) but I saw none.

Reply to
elaich

elaich wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

No clue, but maybe they're either (a) redoing the page to include the old and the new, or (b) not selling the old bb's anymore.

Reply to
Joe

If you click on the link for a 2008 catalog -- and wait for 25 MB pdf to download -- you'll see there is no mention of any 385 series crate engines. That sucks. I guess they just didn't sell.

On the other hand, the part number mentioned in the linked page -- M-6007-S520RT -- suggests 520 cubic inches, if it follows the other crate engine part numbers.

By current standards that's almost puny. At least when you can get a

598 ci 755 hp Rat for $10,750 or a 632 ci 875 hp for $16,500.
180 Out

180 Out

Reply to
one80out

...but would it fit in a Fox body Mustang without a modified hood?

Or chassis...

Or engine bay...

:()

Reply to
dwight

"dwight" wrote in news:9MqdnXU0E7hPeqnanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Here's our best bet:

Boss will fit. And you can stuff these in as well:

Joe

Those crate motors are rather pricey.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Yep, I know. The "XEFM" predicts 340HP. Seems to me that I was looking (a couple of years ago?) at a 302 that was rated at 320horses - probably a milder cam. At the time, it was $3299.

Of course, I'm getting much older much faster, so it could have been more than a couple of years. Sure doesn't seem like it, though.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Michael Johnson wrote in news:esudnUiSpOUzYananZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

a) We can thank our friends at Ford for upping the price.

b) What isn't these days? And people think we're _not_ heading for a recession? ;)

Reply to
Joe

"dwight" wrote in news:N42dnQFV5M3qlajanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

At this point, I figure it is what it is. No amount of bitching or whining is going to change it. When/if I'm ready, I'll bite the bullet (no pun intended) and get one of those 302s and maybe a Lentech to match up to it. Along with thousands of dollars for other "trivial" stuff...

Reply to
Joe

A 351W stroked to 392 ci is a budget stroker motor. You can use a number of stock 302 components to build it. At those prices I would opt for a custom build or go to one of the many engine builders.

I'm in land development. We're in a depression as I type this.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Ford was selling a 600 inch 385 series engine. Did they drop the Aluminum block and C460 heads?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Ford was selling a 600 inch 385 series engine. Did they drop the Aluminum block and C460 heads?

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Michael Johnson wrote in news:WbOdnQXJyq28t6janZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Good point. I guess the only good thing about the OEM motors is the warranty..

You, sir, would know.

Reply to
Joe

Perhaps you guys need to invest in cropland. I live in grain country and land is still rising.

Reply to
Kruse

It will likely continue to rise as long as the gov't continues to subsidize ethanol from corn and biodiesel from soy beans. When reality sets in, and those fads fade, cropland will slide back down in price.

Reply to
Bob Willard

I grew up in the Midwest and you know how many farmers went under in the late 70s and early 80s due to inflated farm land dropping in value like a stone? It decimated many farms and farmers. The banks just led them down the primrose path like they have many homeowners this time around. My advice is to stop buying almost ANY land that has substantially risen in value the past 5-10 years. The hay days (pun intended) is likely coming to an end.

Reply to
Michael Johnson