It's Official: The 5 O is Back, Baby!

To Ford Mustang fans, 5.0 means a lot, and the new 2011 5.0-liter V8 Mustang will deliver 412 hp, company officials said on Thursday. The information was supposed to be embargoed until Dec. 28, but news leaked out shortly after the announcement in Dearborn, Mich.

The new 5.0-liter Mustang produces 83 hp per liter, according to Ford marketing boss Jim Farley. The 5.0-liter Mustang's main competitors are the Chevrolet Camaro SS, rated at 426 hp, and the Dodge Challenger SRT8, which makes 425 hp. Of course, the top-of-the-line Shelby GT500 and its supercharged V8 is rated at 540 hp.

What makes the brand-new V8 engine powering the 'Stang so potent is how engineers were able to allow the engine to breathe. All-new heads sit atop an all-new aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder sleeves. The wide distance between the heads allows for the intake ports to sit vertically on top of the engine. The engine features four valves per cylinder and twin independent variable valve timing. Tuned exhaust headers eliminate the need for aftermarket headers to let the engine breath better. Inside the engine are a forged-steel full counterweight crankshaft and four-bolt main bearings and high-performance pistons and connecting rods.

The new 5.0-liter Mustangs can be fitted with either the 6R80 automatic transmission or the MT82 six-speed manual.

The pony car will make its official debut at the Detroit auto show in January.

Read more:

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

Another trusted individual that has NOT broken his silence says there is more! One guess has been BIG Brembo brakes and IRS! I hope so, with coil-overs too!

Lighter & cheaper than the other ponies, this'll put em in the dust.

Reply to
GILL

Now the question is what becomes of the GT500? There is little technical reason to get a GT500 if the GT gets brembos and handles better (I suppose if optioned properly). Does ford up the GT500 or drop it?

Reply to
Brent

I also thought Ford was to bring out a specialty option every year or so, maybe the Boss?

Reply to
GILL

I always love these kinds of pronouncements.. The 5.0 is back.....

Yup.. I can see it now... After all these years, we will soon see a pushrod engine... It will have wedge combustion chambers... it will be a resurrected

1960s engine..

While a new motor may be in the offing.... it certainly wont be based on 40+ year old technology.

The 5.0 is back?

Riiiiiiiiiight.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Not "may". A new motor V8 IS coming -- This has been known for more than a while.

it certainly wont be based on 40+

Geeze, I sure hope no one thought Ford was putting 40+ year tech back into production.

I only meant the 5.0 displacement, which may mean some "retro" 5.0 badges affixed to the new Mustang.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

retro 5.0 badges? to go along with the tail light treatment that many find "undesireable".

If all it takes to impress you is a badge... what can I say.

I'm shop foreman at a Ford dealer. This, by no means, assures that I have any superior knowledge..

However....we all know that new motors are coming.

At the same time.. why would anyone say the 5.0 "is back"?

Given the information you have, you are expecting a motor with a 5.0 litre displacement. .,.. "the 5.0 is BACK". What would this new motor have to do with the old one?

Not "may". A new motor V8 IS coming -- This has been known for more than a while.

it certainly wont be based on 40+

Geeze, I sure hope no one thought Ford was putting 40+ year tech back into production.

I only meant the 5.0 displacement, which may mean some "retro" 5.0 badges affixed to the new Mustang.

Patrick

Reply to
Jim Warman

they will add 500lbs to it for safety, and make a pigsta out of it. About time they 4 valves per, Japs were there more than 10 years ago. Engine sounds like ordinary technology.

412 hp at the wheels is too much for women and grandma, so they will damp it down with the computer like they did in the 2005s, short on low end torque.

Days of Fox body, 5.0 and easy mods are gone, unless you got one.

Reply to
jonnie

412 HP at the wheels is too much to hope for. 412 HP at the flywheel means 340 (or so) HP at the wheels; still pretty good in my book.
Reply to
Bob Willard

Nearly a gain of a half liter of displacement, new technology/motor and possibly a "retro" badge, yeah, that impresses.

Much like the Dodge guys can say the Challenger is back and the Chevy guys that the Camaro is back.

Thankfully nothing. Over 400 HP without breathing hard is something the old 5.0 could never do.

Patrick

.
Reply to
NoOp

And.... so.... ?

As long as the design is tough and reliable, who would care.

Same thing was said about the old 5.0 when it debuted.

Patrick

.

..

Reply to
NoOp

And SuperChips and similar companies will come out with a programmer that will fix all of those problems and then some. It made a night and day difference on my Titan.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Well, if what you report means 340HP at the wheels, that what my 89 pushes with fairly easy bolt ons. I do have a F303 cam, but I'm sure the way it runs now could have been done with out adding a lope to the idle, I just like that sort of thing :oP

Reply to
WindsorFo

Badges? We need no stinking BADGES!

GILL

notice back tires are narrow => not much HP, 200 max on those tires

All that breathing stuff in the OP is stale marketing, a no brainer, Japs were there 15 years ago with OH cams,

and how much is its WEIGHT?

you can put 400 hp in a 5,500 lb car and it is a big pig.

400 HP in a 2,300 lb, is an entirely different story.

==> => Power to Weight ratio !!!!

Reply to
jonnie

Marketing images are rarely accurate in such details. They are cobbled together from what the development team has on hand. My guess: The marketeer wanted a photo of the car with that wheel style and the 5.0 badge. Development engineering had those wheels in the 6 cylinder car's size. That's the result. Option B: the image is creation of photoshop in the marketing department and they started with a photo of the 6 cylinder car.

hp/liter yes, but not in a V8 RWD car that I know of.

I would guess it weighs aproximately the same as the 2010. There's no reason to believe there has been any weight increase. Safety requirements haven't been our rulers' thing recently but fuel economy has.

Reply to
Brent

The Pony Car heap gets higher and higher, and you what, want a back-halved, stripped down to the floorboards death trap with some kind of power source from "Star Wars"?

It's looking like the best Stang EVER will be coming.

Reply to
GILL

if they carve off 800 pounds of it, perhaps, and also get rid of "electronic throttle" cable, that limits initial torque for grandma.

=> 1993 5.0 8# KeeneBell about 340HP and weight of 2,750

Power to Weight ratio is 0.1236

some good data on this site

But Mustang 2010 is a Biggus Piggus, weight is 3555 !! , still lighter than Challenger by 500 lbs

jonnie

A stock 93 Mustang GT pushing 340hp has a P/W of.10625 A "stock" 2011 should be around a .1211 The 2011 is dead even around a road course with the new M3 (reportedly) You can always go get a 2010 Cobra Jet, if you just want a drag car.

GILL

Give up on the weight issue. Other than the Corvette everthing else seems to have grown bigger and fatter than decade(s) previous versions

-- 911, 370Z, RX-8, Camaro, etc.

Throttle cable: Hotrodders fix factory "flaws".

It should be lighter than the 2010. The new 5.0 is an all-aluminum motor.

Note: My Fox-body '93 Cobra weighs 3,300 and change. The 2011 GT should weight about 200 more. But the weight brings a MUCH stouter chassis, stronger trans, bigger brakes and wheels. So it isn't all bad. That said, what they need to offer is an V8 LX version -- a strippo model.

Reply to
NoOp