J-B Weld

hehe.. I just used J-B Weld (and J-B Kwik (weld)) to fix 3 bathtub knobs (hot, cold, shower). I was just curious if anybody has ever used J-B Weld on any automotive application.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

isnt that what its designed for? me and my neighbor used it on his 35 ford coupe's oil pan. the oil stick tube was on the wrong side so instead of getting a new pan just jb welded the old hole and made a new one hehe. this was on a 351W

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Ahh.. cool. Well the J-B Weld has diff. uses on the package.. including automotive. Just never heard of anyone's personal experience. Cool!

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I found the original JB weld seems to work better than JB Quick,

takes forever to dry, but when it does, it's great.

Reply to
Cox

Yes... it's much stronger & they show the stats on their official site.. nearly 2x stronger & it's 200 degrees F more heat resistant (500F (J-B Weld) instead of 300F (J-B Kwik). It took about 3 hours to get to where I didn't have to use something to hold it in place... isn't too bad. JB-Kwik took about 5 minutes.. but still...

I wonder if it's possible to use J-B Weld (not J-B Kwik) to weld in subframe connectors?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I wouldn't trust it. I'd just weld'em in. Play it safe. Better than losing a connector at 80MPH on the interstate. Who knows what kinda damage that would do. EESH- too painfull to think about.

Scott W '66 HCS

Reply to
Scott Williams

I JB-Welded a split seam in the radiator on my '67 where the upper radiator hose snout meets the radiator. Held fine for 2 years even in 100*+ summer weather in traffic and was still holding strong when I sold the car a month ago. I also used it on the plastic part of the choke linkage on the Autolite

2100 on my '68. One of the ends broke off. Just a dab of JB-Weld and it was fixed. I know I've used it for a few other things on the car, but I can't think of them at the moment. I know one thing it *won't* work for is securing the rearview mirror to the windshield. That's the only thing it won't do as far as I know.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Yes.. i have used it on a tub and it worked fine.. also on my old mustang the thermostat went out and i had to replace it.. when puting the casing back on it to the intake manifold the bolts were not straight and it broke the boss(both of them) on the manifold.. well i was nursing this car for another six months as i was gonna retire and never had the money at the time to either fix it correctly or get another car... had to wait 6 months for a new car.. well i used the JB weld toe patch up where the metal(boss) broke off on the manifold and put the thermostat in and put it back togehter and let it dry... worked pretty good, saved me a big job of putting a new manifold back on this car when i did not want to do it...

Reply to
jim

It's not strong enough. But you can use a combination of Duct tape and Elmers glue.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

at 27 Nov 2003, [ snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com] wrote in news:XFfxb.3389$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com:

Yup, used it to put my mesh grill in place as well as refix my antenna that some ^#$#^#& twisted off, breaking the thread...Works just fine. Just didn't feel like messing with replacing it. Too much work. :-)

Reply to
Paul

Does anyone know if JB-Weld is conductive? I was just thinking about overclocking my 1.533 GHz Palomino... My MSI KT266 board doesn't like to take a high FSB so that leaves me with overclocking by multiplier... The only way to do that with an AMD CPU these days is to connect the L1 bridges... Unfortunately since the Palomino there is a little 'ravine' that I must fill in with something before using conductive ink (or something similar) to connect the bridges. I was thinking JB-Weld may do the trick nicely if applied with a pin or toothpick. I just need to be sure it's not conductive as if you fill the gap with something conductive you'll short out the CPU and it won't work.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

can you use the stuff for rust repair?

Reply to
Hykel

Use a pencil. the graphite in there makes it work. they also sell kits to do it. its just like a little overlay you put on it.

Reply to
John Wiebalk

Best thing to use is rear window defroster repair kit. It's the stuff you use to connect the defroster lines on the glass. Got my XP1500+ o/c to XP2000+ speed. Ok, now this thread is starting to go off topic...let me put it back on-topic...

I was unable to convince my mom to buy a mustang. She looked at coupes, convertibles, and GT's. None of the dealers had any in a color she liked. While driving around the Capital Auto Mall here in Olympia, she saw a Chebby Tracker and asked me to stop. Long story short: She bought a Tracker with a

2.5L DOHC V6, 4WD, Automatic. Comes with AM/FM/CD, power windows and locks. The way she looks at it is now we have a vehicle for winter and one for summer.
Reply to
Greg B.

No, it's not conductive, but if it were me, I'd just get some plain-old clear 5 minute epoxy for what you are talking about. It'll dry quick, and level out to "fill" your valley just fine.

Reply to
Cox

I think I may use your suggestion instead of the JB-Weld... Sounds good.

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Doesn't work on the Palominos. I have used the pencil trick on T-Birds and Durons which have the raised gold contacts and no valley, but even after filling the valley on a Palomino the contacts are 'set in' to the CPU and farther apart. The graphite has too much resistance to make a good connection unfortunately. Thanks for the suggestion though. I got my 800 MHz T-Bird up to 1.2 GHz and some change with the Pencil trick, and Alpha PAL6045 and a YS-Tech fan. That and a good amount of voltage. :)

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Good idea. I was thinking conductive pen as I work part time at Radio Shack, so I'm gonna see if they got anything there I can use my discount on. If not I'll try the defroster repair kit. I've got an Alpha PAL8045 and Delta 80mm

68 CFM fan on the CPU so I've got high hopes. I'm currently running the Delta at 5 volts (whisper quiet, my RAID array is louder) but I'll bump it to 7 or 12 if need be to keep things cool.

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

My boss has a Tracker and one of my coworkers has a Suzuki something-or-other that's the same thing as a tracker. They go off-roading on those things a lot apparently. I've been cracking joked as my boss's tracker all the time because I just can't picture that thing 'conquering the rugged outdoors' or the like. I was telling him I took my '67 Galaxie off-road before and it took it just fine. Not on boulders or nothin' but it was some pretty rough stuff. I got stuck once but my two buddies got out and rocked the car as I rocked it with the engine and we got it un-stuck pretty quick. He says he's gonna take me out in it to show me and shut me up. I'm bringing my camera so when he gets stuck I'll have pictures. :)

Cory

Reply to
Cory Dunkle

Reply to