JeepTANG

: : Well it is still completely up in the air, they absolutely would not open : the hood at the auto show. When I asked, the Ford Motor Company speaker : even said that the hood latch release was disabled. :

Yea yea yea... like the pimply faced kid in the store telling you that the bathroom is "out of order" and that you'll have to go to the fast food place across the parking lot. It's just a good way to keep people from trying to cajole him into opening it. I bet a nickle that if you reached in and grabbed that handle and yanked it, that hood would have popped.

Too bad, it would have been nice to see. Did you get to listen to it at all??

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

"351CJ" wrote

: > The latest round of mods to my '89 LX has taken what was left of my DIY : > willpower. To make the car reliable is more work than I care to do. Its : > next makeover will involve a 427 ci stroked Windsor, Maximum Motorsports : > complete suspension and killer brakes. I just want to drop the car off at : > a speed shop and in a few months pick it back up finished. I don't even : > like to wash and wax cars in the driveway anymore. Isn't that sad? : : I thought it was just me. :-) : I find it harder and harder to wash mine too. Good thing I only have the : front half of my new F-450 flatbed to worry about... :

It's me too. I cannot tell you how happy I am to have a vehicle that I don't have to spit shine once a week and that I can just drive through the car wash. It must be age guys... that's the only excuse I can come up with. I like a clean car but I am sick to death of washing them myself.

There was a time when I would have insisted on mounting my own skid plates and light bar but this time it was just easier to ahve the guys at the shop do it. The skids were installed for free bt the light bar was $150. It was a big job though and since I had it done by the dealership It kept my warranty intact. Particularly if something electrical goes south they won't blame me.

KJK

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Well he said the guys that were moving it in were trying to open the hood, and there was no cable on the release, or something like that. Since it was basically a hand built prototype rather than a car off their GT500 line, he wasn't sure that what was under the hood was at all what would be under the hood of the ones they sell....

I had to have a guy stand right next to me while I stood on the edge of revolving stage just to take pictures...

No it was inside during the middle of the auto show, nobody was running anything. :-(

Reply to
351CJ

"Michael Johnson, PE" wrote in news:TLqdnToXf-VQynbeRVn- snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Suh-weet. They'd be perfect if they were chromed. And the car lowered an inch or so.

Awesome. Although I didn't expect the KB to be that small. Those impellers are what, only a couple inches long?

Reply to
Joe

It would look better lowered a little. I think maybe 1/2-3/4 of an inch. There were chromed versions of those rims but I had to take what I could get. I think I may try and get some of the 17" Pony wheels in chrome when the big makeover happens. That would be an even better sleeper look. :)

No, they are about a foot long. Looking in the case you would wonder how any air moves through it because the two screws almost fill it up. It's amazing how tight they fit together considering how fast they spin.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

I used to own one with a 5.0L engine. Nice car, loved driving it, but the car was so large that most parking spaces were cramped. Over the course of 5 years of driving it, the doors were getting pretty beat from door dings. The paint was crap - not clear coated or anything like that and it would rub off anything hit it. Fortunately, all that is repairable.

You may want to re-think some of your mods. Stock, the car was very quick if you got on the throttle a little bit. I can't honestly recall ever actually flooring the pedal, but I do recall holding onto the steering wheel with a death grip once or twice. A much better mod would be to upgrade the suspension for a sportier ride.

As for it being a old man's car, I bought mine when I was around 25 - I wanted a fast car that the cops would ignore.

Reply to
drsmith

Having owned a wide car before, I know what you're talking about... not the end of the world as you said, though.

My choice would be a Vic LX Sport for that reason - upgraded suspension. But, either the cushy one or the more taughtly sprung one would be a good car to supercharge. I need a better power to weight ratio than

20:1. And the "why not" factor is always a constant for me. It is a lot of weight to stop, though. I could swap in better brakes easily enough.

It's a quality car that is mostly driven by older folks, and is therefore in better condition than most at resale.

Reply to
Wound Up

"Joe" wrote

*snipped cause you MEN are too lazy to take off the extra stuff*

: > I am a big fan of the sleeper concept. Here's a snapshot of my '89 : > LX: : >

: >

: > There have been many drivers pull up next to me thinking they were : > going to hand a bone stock LX its ass. :) : : Love the wheels, Michael. When did you take care of the fronts? IIRC, : you were unable to put the center caps back on. : : Pretty incredible that the stock hood actually closes, too. ;)

That is one pretty baby! I think it would be a lot of fun to have one of those.

Kate

Reply to
KJ.Kate

Thanks, Kate. That picture hides quite a few flaws. It has gone close to 160k miles and that is the original paint.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

How would a Mercury Marauder work out

Reply to
E. BOROWICZ

Good thought. I absolutely love those. There's a guy in the neighborgood with one. But sadly, they are overpriced.

Reply to
Wound Up

Great if they had about 150 more horse power...

Reply to
351CJ

Now that... would be fun

Reply to