Just a crazy theory...

I found out that the intake bolts had come loose and the gasket had shifted making the car run really poorly. That has been fixed and the car runs much better but I still have the same symptoms, only they are less pronounced. I get more power off the line but not enough and it sometimes backfires slightly. I get decent power through the rpm range but with intermittent hesitation. I was wondering if my stock 2V 289 fuel pump is strong enough to support all the go fast goodies now on the motor. Does it run fine at idle because the carb is full and then slightly bog when I take off because the carb empties and the pump can't keep up? Just a thought I wanted to run by the group.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
majcrash

So... what you're saying is there was a vacuum leak, causing the mixture not to ignite in chamber under closed throttle conditions.. thus the popping.

I see. So experience and common sense was right. The Alberta idiot was wrong... Again!

Well, yeah... you're still lean. But if you read back some really old posts, you'll find that certain carbs get damaged Power Valving from intake backfires.

Think you're gonna have to splice in a low-range fuel pressure gauge and see if it drops under acceleration.

- - - - - - - -- - And no, I wasnt waiting breathlessy for the finding... had to look up the original thread by author.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If some of the rest of you dont understand this; Popping is caused by lean mixture, which creates hot exhaust temp and occasional misfire under deceleration.. occurs early in exhaust path. Over-Rich has lower exhaust temps, causing unburnt gas to pool further back and will often result in a backfire that sounds like a shotgun or louder

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote : If some of the rest of you dont understand this; Popping is caused by lean : mixture, which creates hot exhaust temp and occasional misfire under : deceleration.. occurs early in exhaust path. : Over-Rich has lower exhaust temps, causing unburnt gas to pool further : back and will often result in a backfire that sounds like a shotgun or : louder : : -- : Yeh, I'm a Krusty old Geezer, putting up with my 'smartass' is the price : you pay..DEAL with it!

I'm curiousl did he CHANGE the gasket or just tighten it down? If he just tightened it, it oculd be damaged from being run like that and may still have a leak.

I wonder if the over rich mixture is what causes hubby to back fire..... I'll have to check it out.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

That's usually it, in my case... and too lean causes the popping up front.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The gasket has been replaced. Try adding a catalytic converter to hubby's tailpipe.

Reply to
majcrash

: > I wonder if the over rich mixture is what causes hubby to back : > fire..... I'll have to check it out. : >

: > Kate : : That's usually it, in my case... and too lean causes the popping up front. :

DANG! I'm going to remember that one!

Reply to
Kate

LMAO! Hon, if you're feeling brave YOU try adding a cat to hubby's tailpipe *I'm* not gonna do it!

Kate

Reply to
Kate