Kenne Bell Supercharger Installed

Just finished it today. It took 2 days and a half.

I am going to make a site at

give some tips on the install. There is one pic there of the engine this a.m. and a few of the preparation pictures. The install wasn't a piece of cake, but I am no pro, and it purred like a kitten the first time it started up.

And it goes like a bat out of Bell (Kenne).

One very very very pleased customer.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Looks very nice. What year is the car?

Reply to
Richard

Very nice car, very nice supercharger. Going to say a 2002?

Reply to
Greg

Wow that looks very good. Nice & clean engine... will hopefully stay that way (hint hint ;>). You should get her on a dyno asap! I can't wait to see what your GT is pushing now! I bet some pretty impressive figures. How much pressure?

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

I helped install a Flowzilla on an 89 convertible with a 347 stroker. Had a problem clearing the driver side valve cover (stock but chromed) on trick flow heads. We wound up using an extra intake gaskets to clear it. It also took us about 2 days to get it working and I was helping a guy that specializes in mustangs so he does a lot of similar setups.

Reply to
Joe Cilinceon

John Shepardson,

Awesome man, looks real good. Nice pictures also. If you want bro (and I hope no one reads into this to much), setup a member page on our site.

We are uploading the new site within the next 4 days, but the member pages ROCK.

You can see an example of mine here:

Also a video, about 3megs of the new site as we were building it:
And no there is no virus in the video :)

Can we possibly use some of those images in our gallery in an install category?

-- Admin

Admin

Those KB blowers on the 4.6L engines almost look like a factory installation. These kits are making anywhere from 395-440 rwhp on 9 psi of boost depending on exhaust and inlet mods. The torque curves are peaking, well they are really flat as Nebraska, at around 420-440 rwtq. Most of the curves I've seen make over 400 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels from the start of the dyno pull (approx. 2,500 rpm) to about

5,000 rpm. The 5.0L guys ('94-'95 models) that make around 400 rwhp have run in the mid to low 11's.

John Shepards> Just finished it today. It took 2 days and a half.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Yup, it's a 2002. I installed the 6 psi non intercooled version. I did it because I wanted to simplify the install, and it's not so hard on the motor bottom end.

I am going to run it for a while before I do the intercooler and 9 psi pulley.

Yes, anyone can steal the pictures. You could mention my name and site.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

------------------------

Wow, that is really sweet! It would be really cool if you could indeed run through the entire installation process at your website, or at least through the most difficult parts. Also would love to know exactly how much power the KB added, and what the car will run now at the track (1/4 mile and 0-60 mph). Also, what was the total cost of the KB kit including any extra parts, tools etc that had to be purchased? Is the car indeed running "perfectly" now after the install? Any headaches or concerns at all? I'm sure if there are any you'll be able to work them out, but just curious. I personally have a great desire to add some serious extra torque output to my `03 GT, but of course the idea of ripping apart one of these modern computer controlled engines and sticking a blower on is pretty scary I must admit.... there's a lot of things that can go wrong. I sort of depend on my car now so if I were to ever do such a mod, I'd have to be convinced beforehand that the chances of total success would be pretty high, and that I would not be left with a bunch of expensive headaches and troubles. It is important that the car would have the same level of excellent street manners after the install with no quirks. I am very curious as to how your install went and how your car is running now. Sure looks sweet!!! Is it an auto or stick? Best of luck! Nice!

Reply to
GT-Vert-03

SWEET!!!! I'm envious.. no .. downright jealous !!!

From the pictures it looks a tower brace would install over that with no problem. (a nagging question in the back of my head)

Reply to
Jafo

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

Rein

I think I may have a problem with coolant loss, but I have to do some testing this weekend to make certain. My website will be aimed at helping the non-expert (like me) to do the installation. Give me a week and then check my website.

If you are serious about the install, you can order a manual from KB for $20. I think the intercooler install adds about 60 steps.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

It will, give me a week, I do have some ideas that could help a lot. I made a tool that is absolutely mandatory for the install. It cost me nothing and could save your bacon torquing the intake down. Funny an ameteur like me could figure this out, but KB and a couple of very experienced mechanics who wrote about it couldn't come up with it.

If a dyno run costs more than a case of beer, hmmmm, I would have to think long and hard about it.

Kit 6psi non intercooled from KB is $3800 + 8% tax if you are lucky enough to be a Californian + about $100 shipping.

I thought it was, until I got home today. I found the coolant was about

6 ounces below the 'ADD Coolant' mark. The first couple of times this happened I thought it was just the air bubbling out of the system, but tonight I saw some stains that looked like they could be dried coolant. I'm not going to say anything more until I get the facts straight. There could be a defect with the kit, or I might be a bonehead and made a simple mistake (odds are strongly in favor of the latter).

work them out, but just curious. I

I think the install went very well. I am going to focus on this on my website, so bookmark it and check back. My biggest concern is engine reliability, that's why I got the 6psi kit. Do your research if you want to learn more about superchargers and engine safety. KB has more info on this than any other source I have found.

The car is running fantastic. I may have a hint of detonation at full throttle, and I am going to play with an octane booster this weekend. I'm not certain about this, because the Bassani X-pipe has this gravelly sort of sound that is similar to a valve clatter or pinging type of sound. I have to make certain.

Reply to
John Shepardson

I added two pictures of the coolant leak problem. More to come. I have absolutely no doubt that I made the right decision, and I am thrilled with this kit. I know that I am an early adopter and I may get more headaches than the guy that buys it a year from now.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson

Rein

I want one for my wife's 2002 GT. Maybe next year :)

Pager :)

Reply to
Page Nicholson

I think that is an awesome upgrade! Congrats -

If the KB units were out for the 96-98 GT's six months ago, which I still don't think they are btw, I would've seriously considered it instead of going for the Cobra. Very clean installation with great results.

One question about the reverse mount position of the alternator (the AED supercharger kit mounts the same way) - is it necessary to disassemble it and reverse the fan? Doesn't the alternator spin the opposite direction now?

Best of luck with it -

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Shea

Yes it does spin backwards. Funny, you would think it would reverse the polarity.

I had this thought too, but once I got started, I just followed the steps in the manual.

You don't reverse any wires either. You do have to extend them.

John

Reply to
John Shepardson