"King Of The Road" Returns With 540HP

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Maybe Ford should think about providing GT500s in a decent quantity to keep the prices reasonable instead of offering another high priced Mustang variant. This is why Ford is loosing me as a loyal customer. They just don't get it and, frankly, I really don't care if they go bankrupt. It is looking more and more like they lied to us about the production numbers of the GT500. The only reason they are coming out with this car is to keep the prices of Cobras in the stratosphere and out of reach for most Mustang enthusiasts. Screw them. When is the Camaro due to hit the showroom floor? Maybe they want my money and not an arm and a leg too.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Send thousands of "Clones" to the streets, maybe the "got to have" would die off for these people who are paying top dollar.

Reply to
GILL

Michael Johnson wrote in news:04Wdnc7Lta6OCpPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I hate to say "I told you so", but...

Exactly. More "limited production" stuff. Just what we need. NOT!

Indeed. The next few years should prove very interesting. Lots of stuff happening - Chrysler's impending sale, Ford/GM's impending doom, Toyota about to mop up the domestic truck market, and vehicles like the Camaro and Challenger about to make an appearance.

Reply to
Joe

Ahhhh.... go ahead. You deserve it! ;)

This is just a blatant move to keep prices up. I didn't mind them getting ridiculous money for the first run of GT500s but this shows that they planned to gouge the first buyers and then manipulate the product line to keep it going. Like I said, screw them. I give Ford a 50/50 chance, at best, of surviving another 5-10 years without being some other car brands bitch (i.e. controlled by another entity). If that happens I won't shed one tear for them. Considering the greed of the UAW and the stupidity of Ford's management they deserve whatever they get.

I'm definitely going to look at all options when it comes time to buy. Right now I have zero loyalty left for Ford's vehicles. We have bought nothing but Fords for the last 15+ years with the exception of one Nissan (240SX convertible). The Nissan was just an impulse buy from a guy in the neighborhood.

My wife wants a new SUV around the first of the year and we are about

90% sure it will be a Toyota. They make good vehicles that have great resale value and I personally know a guy that owns two Toyota dealerships so getting a good price and excellent service will be a given. When I turn to the Dark Side you know Ford is in deep shit.
Reply to
Michael Johnson

innews:04Wdnc7Lta6OCpPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

GM is on the upswing. They're going to make it. Ford on the other hand... I think Mike nailed the odds when he said a 50/50 survival rate.

Ford has continued to do some stupid stuff. Most recent case in point, their new tall wagon, they removed the show version's clam- shell rear doors and then named the vehicle the "Flex".

I thought it was interesting C&D rated the new Silverado #1 and the new Toyota pickup #2. When was the last time you saw a GM product beat a brand new Toyota?

I have a feeling the new Challenger will be overpriced and overweight. And I think if GM sweats the small details the Camaro will be an awesome pony car.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

They've probably lost me as well. All this time waiting for the price to go down has me not being so interested any more. By the time it gets to sticker I may have none left for the car.

The momement they said they were going distribute the cars by dealer allotment I knew this was going happen and caught a lot flak in here for it. Ford has no desire to bring any car to market that's worth buying without controlling production to the point that the price doesn't go through the roof at the dealership.

I am waiting for Ford to pull the plug on the GT500. At some point before dealer prices hit sticker IMO they are going to say they 'can't afford to build the low production model anymore' or they are going to say there haven't been enough sales, or some lame ass excuse and cancel it. The fact they moved the SVT chief elsewhere has me thinking they are heading that way.

The local chevy dealer always has a good number of corvettes in stock. Never saw a GT500 at the local Ford dealer.

Reply to
Brent P

If it doesn't turn out to be a FWD I4/V6 car like they've done with most of the classic nameplates... ;)

Reply to
Brent P

I've seen a couple at the dealers in my neck of the woods. And just yesterday saw a red 'vert cruising the streets. Don't know what they're paying for them though.

Maybe SVT will go more production line thereby increasing the numbers and lowering the cost.

When you're the only game in town, like the Mustang is, you can keep prices higher. But with increased competition (the new pony cars that are coming) Ford will be forced to play the buyers game.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I am definitely interested in what GM and DC are bringing to the table. Hell, I just might throw more money at my '89 LX and make it my speed fix and forget about a new Mustang all together.

I don't want to drag up the whole allocation debate. The bottom line is that Ford hasn't produced enough GT500 to meet the demand or what they state a year ago. IMO, the introduction of this "new" KR variant shows me they are going to keep the price gouging going for the full run of these Cobras. If they produced enough the price would drop no matter how they are allocated.

I see it as a real possibility too.

The biggest issue I have with the Corvette is it being a two seater. Even though the Mustang's rear seats are small they can be used by two adults for a brief period of time or haul two kids with ease. It is also a more practical car to take a trip in. I really am anxious to see what GM will do with the new Camaro.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

Note: Ford plans to build 1,000 "KR's this year and the number of regular GT500s was supposed to be around 10,000 with no set end number.

Production numbers for the '68 version: GT500 Fastback 1,140 units, GT500 Convertible 402 units, GT500KR Fastback 933 units, GT500KR Convertible 318 units.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

Michael Johnson wrote in news:r7qdnd2CIIrxWZPbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

"I told you so!" :)

I'm right with you.

Given today's economy, I have to consider every brand. Brand loyalty is simply being shortsighted IMO.

I hear you, Michael. I'm in the same boat, in that I'm seriously considering another truck, and the Ram was my number one choice until I looked at the Tundra in depth. At the car show last week, I sat in all four trucks (F150, Silverado, Ram, Tundra), and priced them with top-of- the-line engines. The clear theoretical winner was the Toyota followed up by the Ram. I didn't like the Ford's interior, and the Chevy was priced out of this world.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Some of their divisions may not - this merits watching.

Agreed.

This wasn't at the show last weekend, but from what I've seen on the Internet it's ridiculous.

I don't know what they based the test on, but the Tundra wipes up the Silverado hands down IMO. I checkout out all the full size trucks last week, and the 6.0 Silverado 4-door was about $4000 more than a comparable Tundra. The Tundra's got the most powerful engine, more standard features, and tons more room in the back seat.

It'll certainly be a formidable competitor to the Mustang if they price it right. The Mustang GT is still a helluva bargain.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Brent P) wrote in news:SPadnasbPdHM3ZLbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Have you been hiding under a rock? Its RWD drivetrain has been plastered all over the Internet...

Reply to
Joe

Has Ford made available the running production number for the GT500? I'm curious to know how many have actually been shipped to dealers.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:1175442562.288644.27410 @y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

customer.

The old vs. new production numbers aren't the issue; it's Ford not making these new cars available to the general public. I'd love to see real production and sales numbers for the GT500...

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

I think it's going to be the other way around. Chevy and Chrysler already have a target - the Mustang GT. They'll have to keep their cars competitive from a performance, price, and value standpoint.

Reply to
Joe

Michael Johnson wrote in news:UZ-dnelW8NpWUpLbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I'm seriously considering this as well. My Dakota replacement may end up being a restomod Mustang. I'm still thinking about that crate motor we were discussing a while ago... ;)

I'll bet this is only the beginning. Watch for other variations on a theme, all at higher prices with limited availability.

I don't see SVT as a factor anymore. They've been reduced to a fraction of what they used to be.

Indeed. And the Challenger as well.

Reply to
Joe

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Patrick, check this out:

Forgot to include it in the last post...

Reply to
Joe

If they choose, I think DC can bring the Challenger in at a Mustang GT price point. Doesn't the Charger have an entry level price in the mid $20k range?

Reply to
Michael Johnson