Knocking Down 27 In New 5.0

I took the GT out for a run today. Rural back highway, cruising at about 55-60, windows up and A/C off. Got 27 mpg. Now when I cruise

75-80 mph on the expressway, with the A/C on, I get about 21 mpg.

Patrick '11 GT Manual, 3:73s, Brembos, Unspoiled

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

2011 ! nice... I'm saving up. Did you do the gears and breaks or dealer?
Reply to
huhie

I got it over a year ago -- it was a special order with the 3.73s and Brembos.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

All I can say to that is, bite me...

Reply to
WindsorFo

:-)

About the mileage or the car?

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

Yes.

Reply to
WindsorFo

Yesterday, I filled up CFrog, did a little math, and figured that I'd averaged 17mpg on that last tank. And 17mpg is better than I'd gotten with the previous three fill-ups.

Seriously, I started a spreadsheet, and I'm running between 16.5 and 17.5mpg over the past month. I'm wondering whether trading CFrog for a new V6 convertible would pay for itself in just savings on gas...

When you were doing your "rural cruise," were you trying for mileage, or was this just a happy coincidence? 'Cause whenever I do a fuel mileage test, trying to keep the revs down, drive sensibly, constant highway speeds, etc., I get fouled up by the skinny pedal on the right. Seems I'm going to be stuck between 16 and 17mpg, no matter what my intentions are.

dwight

dwight

Why is it getting such poor mileage? Mine does better than that and I have a bunch of performance mods.

Reply to
WindsorFo

It may have something to do with my commute.

In the morning, I take the back route, because the highway (the direct route) is a parking lot. The back route now has two back-ups, each a couple of miles in which we do the ten-foot crawl. In the evening, it's the same going the other way. At lunchtime, it's mostly highway miles, but almost the entire stretch is penned in now with cattle schutes - miles and miles of highway construction. Where it's not under construction, I normally run at

75 to 80, with occasional gusts to 90 and above.

Otherwise, I have no idea why I'm getting such poor mileage.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

lol

More city than highway driving?

You will never save money replacing any well-operating, paid-off vehicle with a new[er] vehicle that gets better mileage. Period.

It was just a relaxed cruise down an open stretch of highway. (The new GT has a little electronic mileage counter.)

lol

Yes, I too often have that problem. But, so far, for the most part, remarkably, and uncharacteristically, I've been civil in this car. No drags, no good street racing, not much of nothing. Must be old age creeping in.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84

if your closed loop, you should get good gas milage.

your gas mileage suffers greatly below 30 mph, in fact it is nearly equivalent to the speed you are going.

10 mph => 10 mpg if you drive in city, your speed varies quite a bit and much time is spent below 30 mph, and eats gas

search for graphs of mpg vs. mph, or fuel economy vs speed.

there is a new care coming out of Korea the shuts down the engine if the vehicle speed drops below 8 mph, and the car gets about 100 mpg.

I dont know why the Gov and industry here seem to be missing this. Rush hour traffic => very poor gas milage. like this site here, they talk about fast speeds but miss the low speeds, checkout the curve.

ckout low speed for this Z06

another see the gray line below 20 mph;

a bmw, if your average speed is low, so is your mpg

below 30 mph is low mpg

Refund

Bottom line: if we were all serious about improving fuel mileage, I'd never have to stop for five lights in a row.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

More rush hour than free time.

Now THAT explains why I've never bought a Honda.

On my romps out and about, I can get 22mpg or better. I've never been able to do better, even on extended highway trips with cruise control. And the convertible is a pig - an overweight, hardly aerodynamic piece of 5.0 with an automatic transmission that could use one more gear.

Tell me about it. I'm looking 60 in the face (sooner than I care to think about), and I can't even think about doing some of the things I did 20 years ago. And the older I get, the more seperation I leave between me and the guy ahead. I'm off the gas pedal as soon as I see the next light turn yellow (although that may have something to do with driving stick, not age - I'm never in a hurry to stop). I no longer pull out into traffic when I see a gap of 3 car lengths ("threading the needle"); now I wait for a much larger margin of error.

My reaction time isn't what it was. I know that and account for it. I don't drive like I'm always in a hurry any more. And, yes, I don't feel like I have anything to prove to the other guy. I figure that the average stoplight race costs about $25.00, and I'm a lot thriftier these days.

And I meant to ask - this scratch cleaner thing you talked about... Was that for the GT? Please say it ain't so!

dwight

Reply to
dwight

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 21:11:53 -0400, dwight rearranged some electrons to say:

I think you answered your own question.

Drag force increases proportionally to the square of the speed (speed * speed).

Reply to
david

Because either actual mpg increases is not government's real goal or because they are totally incapable (because it's impossible) of managing the diverse lives of 300,000,000 people, or both.

*It might be possible to get freer flowing traffic but that would mean giving up a lot of control so instead they come up with teachings and schemes that worsen traffic.
Reply to
Brent

I'm a decade behind you, so I'd appreciate it if you told me you still feel like you did when you were 30. :-)

I'm also more patient now.

I'll still scrap if the road ahead is clear.

Yep. I've never owned a car that hasn't been vandalized. My old beloved '76 stepside Dodge pickup --scratched at a party, only a few months after a supreme [re]paint. The LX, at a laundry mat, 5 of the

7 panels within 2 months of ownership. My wife's Accord, at work, egged & dented. The Cobra, at work, the cobra badges were peeled off, and years later scratched a few times. And now, at work, the GT keyed twice. The only one unscathed, so far - my wife's Element.

Needless to say, if I ever come upon a car vandal, and the vandal won't even have to be "working" on my car, I will snap.

Patrick

Reply to
patrick.mckenzie84