Late 80's Early 90's 5.0L - Gas Mileage?

Just wondering,

What kind of gas mileage does one get from those babies? In the city? And on the highway?

Reply to
F.T.S.

'89 ASC/McLaren 5.0 'vert 20 mpg around town 22~24mpg hiway All stock

155k miles

Hank Phoenix

Reply to
Hank

Depends on your driving habits...... I had an '88 LX 5.0. My wife could pull near 25/gal..... best I could ever get was maybe 8....... Stupid car....

Reply to
Jim Warman

I filled up the other day and managed 158 miles to the tank. Over half of that time was on the highway.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper

My 89 LX Hatch back, 5.0, 5 speed with 2.73 gears, absolutely bone stock, was good for 26 to 28 on the highway. That's on I-8 between San Diego and Tucson. Made the trip about 10 times. In town, between 18 and 20. Before that I had an 87, LX Notch. Same driveline, same mileage. But it would out run the 89. BTW, both cars were very good long term. The 89 sprung a leak between the timing chain housing and the block, and ate second gear synchronizer. Drove the hell out of both of them. Sold the 89 at about 140K miles. Very decent cars.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

I get 24 to 26 highway, about 18 to 20 city. 1993 LX. Bone stock, 189,000 miles.

Reply to
JP

Reply to
Erik D.

I about fall in with the concensus here. 27 or so on the highway, and about

17 around town (driven sanely). That's with a b303 cam, 24# injectors, TFS heads, and 3.55 gears.

Like Erik. D. we don't want to get into the truck (99 F250 v10). lol

Jason S.

Reply to
Jason S

'90 stock 5.0 LX HB -- Hvae averaged a little over 16 for 99000 miles. Usually runs 15-16 in city, 22-25 on highway. I am very anal because I've recorded every gas purchase since I bought the car new. Milage was better

10 years ago and it dropped about 10% when California changed blends. The recent switch from MTB additive to ethanol additive has cost me another 10%.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Combs

Wow! Thanks a lot for all your responses! This is very informative! I am definitely gonna get me one of these babies in the near future!

Reply to
F.T.S.

Get about 16 city....big cam, 3.73, some other mods...I guess it'll have to do...92 LX 5.0

Reply to
ledfish

My old '87 5.0 LX (factory 3.08 gears) got 27-28 mpg on the highway a few times back when the speed limits were lower. Normally it knocked down 24-25. When the speed limits went up, and I swapped the rear gears for 3.55s, 22-23 was about the best it would do. Mixed/city driving was always between 17-20.

My Cobra on the other hand, for some reason, is a gassing sucking pig. It has never gotten better than 20.XX mpg in mostly highway driving.

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

TFrog has RARELY seen the high side of 20mpg, even with the stock 2.73s.

In the summer, running the A/C, I can expect about 10-12mpg in traffic. On the average, about 15mpg... Yeah, gas-sucking pig, but what a hoot.

dwight

Reply to
dwight

Really? Wow! My LX would always get over 20 mpg even on "low-flying" trips zooming down New Mexico highways.

Whew! Big sigh of relief. I'm normally babying it (steady cruise at

75-80 mph) and couldn't figure out why it was sucking gas so much. I knew the Cobra with its larger 24-lb injectors and GT-40 heads would require a little more fuel than my old LX, but I still expected at least 22-23 mpg on my mostly highway jaunt back and forth to work. So I guess if I'm getting 20 even, I should be happy.

Note: I did a little romping this weekend on my last tank of gas and only got 16.XX. Now I wonder how many mpg I would get if I constantly thrashed it through a full tank of gas. ? Would I get single digit mpg?

Patrick '93 Cobra '83 LTD

Reply to
Patrick

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Patrick) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

If not you'd certainly be close. I've clocked the LX at anywhere from

8 to 22 mpg, depending on driving. The truck gets anywhere from 7 to 15, but at least it uses 87 octane.

Joe

You would get my gas mileage. 158 to a tank.

Don Manning

Reply to
2.3Sleeper
88GT with 235000 miles, gets about 22 miles to the gallon, that's with about a 50/50 mix of highway and in town traffic.

Reply to
Ironrod
93 GT gets a consistent 22mpg.

Reply to
John

My 88 5.0 gets around 22mpg...Actually a bit better than my 2000 GT gave me.

Reply to
BeverlyOmasta