late model 5 speed in 67

Hi, I'm looking at a '67 coupe that has a 5 speed from a 94-95 (I think) GT. Is there anything I should be looking at in this type of swap? I know nothing about rear diffs, but wonder how this affects the car (other than more choices!) The car was originally a 3 speed.

thanks Bob

Reply to
pony67

First I'd find out exactly what type of trans it is. This will help if you need to service it later and also to determine it is truly from a V8 car and not 6 or worse a T5 from a

4 banger ! I'd look at how the clutch linkage was done. Cable, rod, Hydraulic? and get the info as to what parts where used again for future service. Also look at the quality of the install to determine if it is a jury rigged home brewed contarption to see if it will give your problems later. Also see if you can verify the speedo is not out of whack due to gearing differences.

Personally I think a 5 speed swap is a great mod for these cars. Anything that makes them better drivers is good for me. Most of these cars are not one off super rare so I think they should be driven and enjoyed. Some of their original traits however only seem good in the rosey light of nostalgia! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

I read somewhere that 94-95 V6 t5's are identical to the V8 version and are at least as good as a 93 mustang trans. There was a change in length on the input shaft on the 94-95 V6 & V8 t5's because 94-95 bellhousings are deeper than 83-93 models, so it may be possible to change the input shaft on a v6 trans to the shorter 93 model and end up with basically a 93 5.0 t5 trans.

Reply to
winze