Lifespan of timing chain for 96 coupe 3.8?

I've got a '96 mustang coupe.... Oil changed every 3'000. Mostly highway driving.. Currently have 142,000 miles..

How many miles does the timing chain usually last? Chain is not making any noise.. Just concerned due to mileage... Should I be? Thanks Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

FWIW, I've got an '88 3.8 Cougar with over 300K miles on it. Valve covers, oil pan and timing chain have not been touched. I guess the only way to have peace of mind is to change it, but I'd run it until it dies.

Reply to
Kruse

There is no service interval for the timing chain. You change it when it breaks (a VERY uncommon failure). Nothing to worry about if you've done regular oil changes.

Cheers,

Ritz

Thanks for the feedback.... I'll let 'er ride for now Chuck

Reply to
Chuck