limited slip rear

I have a 67 mustang not sure about the rear but it has the 289 auto trans, what would i need to do/replace to make this rear a limited slip unit> i work or chrysler dodge products, they are just a matter of removeing the carrier and installing a limited slip one

Reply to
damnnickname

You probably have an 8" rear. Fortunatly, the 8" is just like the

9", only smaller. The center section is easily removable. A rebuilt trac-loc 8" center section goes for about $1,000'ish. Then it's a simple matter of pulling one out, and installing the other. Mine needs a rebuild in a bad way. It's cheaper to take it to a local diff shop and have him rebuild it. For about $650, he will rebuild the center section (with trac-loc), new gears, new axle bearings and seals, and clean out the housing.
Reply to
boB

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Or, if you're lucky, find one in the local salvage yards. Check mustang 2s, mavericks, comets. I found a couple of posi units this way. Don't forget to add friction modifyer to the new gear oil. Mark

Reply to
Mark

Yes, but it's not just a drop in. You still have to set the ring gear and do the bearing preload. Any idea what rear end is in the car? Look here:

Al

Reply to
Big Al

you can't just stick it in there and go. the backlash and pinion depth have to be set. unless you like noisy rears you have to buy gears for every year. Chip

Reply to
Chip Stein

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

The two guys on the show are getting paid to put on a show. You never ever see them have any sidesteps in a repair or modification. Take a deep breath and smell the coffee..... auto repairs go sideways - quickly and silently - especially when (in a pros case, anyway) the repair needs to be right the first time around.

What these shows seldom indicate is the need for a certain amount of experience and expertise..... but who am I to say. Knock yerself out.... if you watch them shows with the spotless tile floors they might even start saying you can do it all with Fischer-Price tools.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Easy thar, hoss.... I described what I saw of the show, and I believe I made it plain that I didn't see the whole thing... I was just taking a coffee break.

I've learned the hard way... trial and error... as my garage floor will attest. Thank heaven for kitty litter.

The parts catalogs do the same thing as those shows... "with kit X you can do this in a couple of hours.." I wish. But the sponsors get satisfied, the parts get sold.... But, as far as this particular job goes... it "appeared" easier than some things I have personally done.. like rebuild an engine, or a carb. Heck, the first time I did a new water pump install wasn't a piece of cake. And the brake job I did on an MG Midget was a nightmare, solved by a shop in 10 minutes. But then they knew there was a slave cylinder inside the tranny tunnel.

I'm not deluded about any of it. I always figure it's go>The two guys on the show are getting paid to put on a show. You never ever

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Setting up a differential can be one of the most frustrating things you could ever plan on doing. One undocumented change will have you lost in pattern lala land... doing things absolutely right can leave you with a noise. I still haven't figured out how DIers achieve the correct sidebearing preload and backlash. For those in doubt, look around at those still trying to recover from what the previous owner has done....

TV shows are only there for entertainment value.... there's not much entertainment in auto repair...

Reply to
Jim Warman

I agree with the "entertainment value"... however.... what I get out of such shows is ideas for what I think I'd like to have on mine.... like the limited slip... Mine came without it and that single patch laid down behind me is silly looking. Or, the upgraded stereo demo, which provided some ideas on ways not to cut up the dash, etc. Another show on how to make patterns to build your own console (among other possibilities). I've learned things about wiring, and improved lighting. Doesn't mean I can do it all, or will want to. It's just some things to think about. And, some things reach a point where I know I am out of my league (like welding) until I learn how. Those things get turned over to a shop.

My first car, at 16, cost $75, and caught fire gett>Setting up a differential can be one of the most frustrating things you

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Morris minor's are hard to kill, When I was a wee lad our family drove from Tehran to Kabul, in one. One hell of an off road jaunt. late 50's if i recall correctly. I remember my dad crawling under the car and plugging a whole in the oil pan with gum.

Reply to
Deputy Dog

If its a 'pumpkin', like in the ford 9", it is a self-contained unit with pinion depth and backlash already set. Very different from modern

8.8 rears.

Is the standard 8" rear in the mustangs a 'pumpkin' style?

Chris

Reply to
cprice

First oil change I did on mine was an experience... pulled the plug and nothing happened. dad said warm it up first. Stuck the plug back in and fired it up. Let is run for a few minutes, Shut it off. Pulled the plug again. Nada!. Shined a flashlight into the hole. It was pitch black. Dad said check the dipstick and make sure there really was oil in it. Back goes the plug. Dipstick says it's full. Pulled the plug again. Took a screwdriver and stuck it into the drain hole and hit a solid wall. With a bit of work I chipped through. The engine was still pretty warm and the oil began to ooze out like thick honey in the winter time. But that was the best $75 four on the floor, four banger I ever owned.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Actually, you can. Just like the 9", it's all in one removable unit. Backlash and pinion depth are set on the bench. Just pull out the axles, drop out the old center section, and bolt in the new one.