Locking gas cap

Well with gas prices up the way they are, I have had some gas mysteriously evaporating from my tank. I'm going to purchase a locking gas cap for my 88 GT ( I haven't had to do this since the big crises of the 70s) and I am faced with choices. There are Standard, Pre-vent and Pre-release styles and Golly I don't know which one I need or if it makes a difference at all. Can somebody enlighten me?

Reply to
/\rtful ])odger

I was going to buy one and the guys at Napa told me that it's better to lose some gas than to have someone punch a hole in your gas tank, They said 3 customers had that happen in the last 2 weeks.

Reply to
nospam

As nospam pointed out, during the crunch of the 70s, I had to do investigations on so many cars with punctures tanks it was insane. All it took was an ice pick. Once they had as much as they wanted, the remained was left to pour onto the ground.

That said, if your car is garaged and you are only out and about in the daytime to places like the grocery, I'd go ahead and put a locking cap on. The vast majority of thefts occured at night and to cars left out. If you are at the grocery, etc, during the day, it's very unlikely that someone will be crawing under the car and punching a hole to steal gas, or to siphon gas.

As for which to get, you should be able to find one which matches the stock cap.

Reply to
Spike