Long lost me... with a question

Hey guys!

I doubt many of you will remember me (not that it matters, but hello to those who do!)... but I'm back with a question.

I've got a CEL and the code comes up P0401. The simian ass-clown at the dealership says it's the DPFE sensor. Okay, fine. He also claims it is not covered under my warranty, or under the TSB. This makes me homicidal. But anyway.

Naturally, the dealership is not getting one stinking penny from me. What I plan on doing is taking the EGR valve and the DPFE sensor and cleaning them out, as well as checking the vacuum hoses. (I'm thinking it really might just need to be cleaned; this is a 2001 six-banger and it's got over 81,000 miles on it). I need to get it done before Saturday, since I've got a 2,000 mile round trip ahead of me this weekend, and really don't want to go without resolving this somehow.

What I need is someone to point me in the general direction of the EGR valve. I know the DPFE is about the size of a postage stamp, and has two rubber hoses and an electrical connection. What I don't know is exactly where under the hood I need to look for the whole shebang.

Any and all help will be GREATLY appreciated (yes, I know I need a Chilton's... I haven't gotten around to it)!

Mara

-- modless '01 V6

Reply to
Mara

So why is the guy at the dealership a "simian ass-clown"? Is it because he diagnosed the problem or because he has no say on Fords corporate policy and doesn't want to have the price come out of his pocket?

TSBs are simply "Technical Service Bulletins" designed to aid in diagnosing problems.... it is extremely rare to see any TSBs that will extend warranty coverage.

I'd tell you where it is and what "gotcha's" are lurking.... but not if it's going to earn me a similar title.....

Jim Warman

at 05 May 2004, Mara [ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

If your 2001 is similar to my 95/98 it's on top at the passenger side of the engine. At the firewall side of the engine. Track the conduit going from the airhandler to the throttle body. The EGR valve and solenoid etc is right there near the throttle body. One of the components is mounted on a small bracket at the rear of the engine. I believe it to be a sensor.

I'd have snatched a pic and more details from my service manual Cd if it wasn't for someone borrowing and not returning it. I'm at a loss as to who it was. GRRRRRR! So of to eBay to get another 1995 Mustang service CD at like $15. :-(

Reply to
Paul

Gee, I don't know... it could be because he flat-out LIED to me about another, unrelated, issue? And that the TSB in question DID extend the warranty, by 2/24?

Next time you want to pass judgment or get sarcastic, make sure you've got all the pertinent info.

Mara modless '01 V6

Reply to
domfrancon

Thank you! If I can get enough info to be comfortable with it, I will probably tear into it tomorrow evening. I'll let you know how it goes!

Mara modless '01 V6

Reply to
domfrancon

at 05 May 2004, domfrancon [ snipped-for-privacy@yallareahoot.com] wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

I unearthed the relevant parts bill. Here are the Ford part# for the EGR valve, solenoid and sensor. I'm assuming they are the same for an '01 V6 so you should be able to identify them this way...

F0TZ9 J459A - EGR VACU F4SZ9 D475A - V ASY EGR F4ZZ9 J460B - EGR PRESS

Sorry for the cryptic descriptions but that's what the invoice reads. I hope this is of some help to you in fixing your problem. I ended up buying all Ford parts as some of them apparently are not available 3rd party and I get discounted prices on Ford parts via a club deal.

Reply to
Paul

"domfrancon" wrote

Well if you would have provided it in the first place maybe he would be more obliged to help.

Reply to
Scott Williams

You may want to check before going off half cocked.... TSB 04-03-01 flatly states that it falls within the limits of the emission controls warranty. I would think that your new car warranty would have been 3/36 while the emissions warranty (IIRC for 2001) for cars manufactured then would be

5/50...... lessee- that be 2/24 more than what you had. While I wont comment on the simian ass-clowns memory, I might suggest that consumers realize what is covered and for how long... or are non simian ass-clowns the only ones that are allowed lapses of memory.

For the non-related issue, I might consider it just another miscommunication that is being blown out of proportion.

Make sure the foot your pissing on today ain't attached to the ass you might be kissing tomorrow..... From what I can see right now, I could come to your housem, change the DPFE for free and then wash the car for you and you'd still be choked up about something or other.

Have a good day.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Having a PMS atack or what? Perhaps if you had SUPPLIED all the pertinent information......

Kate

Reply to
SVTKate

Not at all, Kate... never had PMS in my life. The info in question was NOT pertinent to my question about the DPFE sensor, unless you want me to go into a long, boring saga that has nothing to do with a CEL. I'm not one to go off "half-cocked" and I would NEVER make a derogatory comment about someone unless I had a damned good reason. I have nothing but awe and respect for most mechanics. Not for this "service consultant", not now, not ever. We're not talking "miscommunication". We're talking bald-faced lies. Period.

Would I get my panties in a twist, Jim, if you came over and changed the sensor? Not at all. I'd likely buy you beer and baseball tickets, or whatever your pleasure happens to be. Sorry you felt I was casting aspersions on all mechanics. That is far from the case, and I suppose it's my own fault for going to a dealership when I know from experience how most of them treat anyone who's not buying.

In any case, thank you VERY much to Paul and everyone else who pointed me in the right direction. I found the DPFE with no problem at all, took it off and cleaned it, and (so far, anyway) the CEL is off. If it comes back on, I guess I'll just have to change it; not sure if it's strictly a dealer part or not, but I guess I'll find out.

Thanks again!

Mara modless '01 V6

Reply to
domfrancon