Lost keys for '70 Convertible... let me rephrase.

Hi guys,

Thanks to those who replied but I don't think I related the problem effectively. The problem is how do I get the ignition cylinder out of the steering column if I don't have the key?

Thanks again, Keyless in Ottawa

Reply to
lxixboss

If the door uses the same key, the question was answered. If not you're going to have to pick the lock to turn it backwards or destroy the lock. Used to manage a body shop, we saw many Fords with the ignition cylinder "popped out" with a dent puller. I would do it the safe way, get a locksmith to remove it.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

The best way since you can get at the door lock cylinders is to pull one of those out and have a locksmith make a key for you from the lock. This is possible, it's one of the things locksmiths do. This will give you a key for the ignition as well. repeat for the trunk. You get to keep all your original locks this way.

If you you're set on changing the locks without the key, it's going to be dependent on the column design. I've only done that job to replace a steering column in early 80s GM car. No keys with a junkyard column. When I got the steering wheel off and removed the lockplate I found that the lock was held in only by a set screw or two. I then could remove the lock without the key. I've never had to go that deep into a ford column of any vintage.

Anyway, you might be lucky enough not to need the key to remove it, but you'll have to take it apart to find out. Little details do change from year on stuff like this so unless someone has experience with a '70 mustang column you know for sure until it's taken apart. Odds are there is a way to do it, but expect to take most everything in the upper part of the column apart to do it.

Reply to
Brent P

Ok... I pulled out my '73 shop manual and looked it up. It appears that you'll need to remove the horn button, steeringwheel, turnsignal lever, turn signal switch and mechanism, and maybe a some associated trim bits. Then you'll find a spring clip or two. Instructions say you need the key however.

Anyway I'll scan it for you.

Brent P

Save paying a locksmith. Go to this sight and watch the video on "how to key bump", you'll have a key in no time...

nospam

You've successfully bumped a car ignition lock have you??

Reply to
WindsorFox

Reply to
nospam