Low Coolant message / stuck float?

I'm constantly getting Low Coolant message on dash even though the levels are fine. When I had antifreeze flush done recently, the mechanic told me that the float gets stuck and you need to bang it with the screwdriver a bit. I've tried but it doesn't help. Is there a better way to fix this?

Thanks Mark

2000 GT
Reply to
Mark G7#9

My float sank about 8 years ago. :) I thought about attaching something to it, just to make it float, but never have.

I just unplugged the wires coming out from the bottom of the tank. Getting another tank would be another option, but it would most likely sink too.

Reply to
GILL

First, check the float. Is it floating? If not you can try and see if it's stuck and get back to floating.

If it is floating then there is a different problem.

To see if it is the plug or the float, just unplug it. If the light stays on something is shorting the connector/wires. If it goes out it's the float.

On both my mustang and my dad's it was moisture getting into the connector. Some bicycle inner-tube rubber over the connector (after leaving it unplugged to dry out) did the trick to keep it dry. (the moisture completes the circuit, turning on the light) The seal in the connector just stops doing the job after awhile. If you can find a replacement for it, that should fix it as well.

Reply to
Brent