Mach 1000 Audio System . . Replacing Subs/Amps/Head Unit ?

I recently purchased a 02 GT, which was equipped with a mach 1000. Sounds great for a "stock" system, but I think it was a very over priced option. I have my system from my old car, and would like to replace some things. I was told by a technician in our town's local stereo store that he had tried working on a mach 1000 system, and tried replacing speakers; only to blow them upon immediate connection. He says that the whole system runs at a different current/frequency/ohm? than any normal stereo, or aftermarket stereo. He said he tried 3 different subs; blew them, and a few components; and blew them as well. He said the only way to use any of my old speakers, components or subs, would be to replace the entire system, from a new head-unit to re-rerunning every new wire from scratch, and if I decided to switch just my head-unit, that the mach 1000 speakers would not be compatible. Basically, its if you want to replace one thing, no matter what part, the whole stereo has to go. I have tried asking some other guru's around, but nobody to be familiar with the mach 1000, and say that they have never heard of such a thing. I dont't know if he is just trying to sell me a bunch of shit (a new stereo), or if this is a fact. I'm not a professional, but I have wired many stereos, and never heard of this; is there any harnesses or any means of modifying the mach 1000 without having to replace everything down to the wires?!

Appreciate Any Help, Ben Howard

"My computer goes down on me more often than my girlfriend. "

Reply to
bhoward

Nice tagline quote, by the way. I feel bad for you. ;-)

Anyway... if the Mach 1000 is anything like the Mach 460 (and I have no reason to believe it's not)... your best bet is to just replace the whole thing if you really want a good system that isn't patched together with adapters and such.

I've never heard a Mach 1000 in person, so I don't know its weaknesses. What does it do (or not do) that you need it to not do (or do)?

JS

Reply to
JS

Sounds just like a Sony computer...

I have a Mach 460 in my car and have been told the same thing. So, not being an audiophile, I just live with it.

Kate

98 Cobra Drop Top

| > Appreciate Any Help, | > Ben Howard | >

| > "My computer goes down on me more often than my girlfriend. " | |

Reply to
SVTKate

I deal with the 460 in my car. It's not the system I hoped it would be, but buying used, I really can't complain too much about what's there. I didn't really pay extra for it.

Some day I'll rewire it and put the bunches of old equipment I have laying around the house in there... but it's not bad enough for me to really bother with it right now. I would like to put my MP3 player in there though....

JS

Reply to
JS

Ever since I bought my GT 'vert I've been trying to find a solution . It seems that the Mach 460 is the same as the 1000, except for the extra amps and speakers in the trunk. I've been fairly happy with it, except I want to swap out the head unit for something that has an AUX input so I can use my iPod. Now that Alpine has an iPod adapter for their head units, that's even more attractiove.

In summary, it's a no-go. The 460/1000 head unit can't be replaced on its own... your looking at replacing everything. I suppose you could use the speakers/wiring and just change out the H/U and install new amps, but the speakers aren't that great so it's not worth it -- and I believe they use non standard impedance of 2? whereas most standard speakers are 4 or 8?. So replacing your speakers with mis-matched upgrades will buy you more problems.

Crutchfield lists the various components you'll need, but it's quite expensive. I just hope the new Mustangs aren't going to continue to use this non-standard system. Visteon (the makers of 460/1000) claim that the H/U can be upgraded, but they don't say how, and emails I've sent them haven't been answered.

Maybe you'll have better luck here:

Scudder

I replaced the head unit w/ the cassette player a long time ago with a Jensen CD player... now my stock CD player quit operating... but the overall sound quality & bass was better.. and nothing "blew". The jensen died eventually... and I replaced it with the stock head unit. Jensen cd player stopped ejecting CD's was the only problem. F*cking jensen. Never gave me crap before... just then.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

Reply to
<memset

wrote

Well, probably the reason the Jensen died was if the Mach system is a 2ohm system, you were overdriving the internal amp on the Jensen. It was running twice the watts now that the impedance was cut in half from the normal 4ohm load. Jensen isn't exactly the best stuff and probably wouldn't handle the abuse for too long, especially if you liked to crank it up.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Are we all now wishing that Ford woulda stuck with JBL?!?! ;)

Reply to
66 6F HCS

That would cause the CD player to not eject? But everything else to work?

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

Reply to
<memset

Some more info here

Rico

Reply to
Rich

I've seen weird stuff happen with electronics. What very feasibly could have happened is the heat generated from the amp being overdriven and being in close proximity to the eject "motor"...kinda like having an exhaust manifold leak right on your starter. Not good. Motor fried. Very likely possibility.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Huh...very weird.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Full Boar turbo mufflers Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires

possibility.

Reply to
<memset

interesting. It does not cover the 6cd changer in the 03 cobra. That one is a mach460 (as far as I know) with the in-dash 6 cd changer.... anyone know ? This website says the mach 1000 has the 6 cd changer.. what's the deal here ?

Rein

Reply to
stew

WoW,

Thanks for the input everyone! Thats enough for me to say i'm not messing with any of it.

Ben Howard

Reply to
bhoward

Could just use an ignition-switched power source for the remote turn on lead. There should also be one in the Mach system built in to turn the factory amps on.

I think there's also something that detects sound output and triggers a relay to turn the amp on...

There are some options.

JS

Reply to
JS

Reply to
stew

If you really look into it, there are harnesses for the 1000 head unit. I agree the mach 1000 is lame for the price (1,700 bucks) but, it is cool to show your buddies the amp rack in the trunk and tell 'em it's all factory. "no way!" is usually the response i get from both my friends and the grocery sacker guy who brings out my groceries. ok, bad joke.

anyhow, the subs are 4 ohm DVC's...like any other sub. The head unit seems to put out the 4 ohm dynamic resistance of any other head unit and is easily replacable by any other unit, though I haven't actually kept a new unit in my vehicle for too long, I dig the factory 6 disc and it's already paid for. lol.

the head unit is a little different, held in by screws rather than a normal DIN size ford removal size. I like the change personally. Also, look into new amps, the factory ones are...uhh...well, ok they're lame compared to what you can actually buy nowadays. (note: I'm selling a 1000 watt kicker amp w/ 1.0 farad RF cap for $600 if anyone is interested in paying shipping costs, let me know so I don't have to ebay)

Have fun replacing your stereo, I know I did. Nothing can replace the satisfaction of tuning your own unit. no pun intended.

=Jason Wichita, KS

Reply to
Jaysun