Major difference in MPG (V6 vs V8) ???

I have a 2000 GT stick and considering going to a new V6 Mustang to save on gas. Can someone advise if there is a major difference in MPG please?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
markg9

While I do not have a 6...

When I was shopping for my 06 GT ragtop, the rated difference was minimal on paper.... I am currently getting 20 to 21MPG for everyday driving (6,000 miles on the car, regular gas).. Mine was rated for 17-23... The 6 was rated for 19-25..... I have no idea what the 2000GT was rated at...

Based on that, the difference is 'minimal'...

Reply to
tony

Think think there are $1,500 rebates on left over 06's. Get the GT. Martin

Reply to
Martin

Yep, you don't really buy a V6 to save on gas... mine (before I went crazy!) was around 22 almost 24 MPG in the city... On the highway it was 26 to 28...

Reply to
John S.

Is your V6 a 5 speed manual or a 4 speed auto ?

Thanks, Lynn McGuire

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

Like I said, I do not have a 6.. But to answer your question, my 06 GT vert is auto..

Reply to
tony

My V6 is an auto... BTW... In the S197 both the GT and the V6 share the same (basically the same) 5 speed automatic (not 4 speed).

Reply to
John S.

I have a 2006 V6 Vert with a 5 speed manual and have been getting an average of 29 mpg while commuting 54 miles a day to work. Some of that is highway and some of that is stop and go through town.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Hammang

Just as added info..

When I have taken it easy on the car, my 06 GT (Auto, Ragtop) has gotten

26mpg on a mixed Highway/City 52 mile commute... I also got 27mpg on a Reading, PA to Richmond. VA jaunt... (280Miles) This while driving some considerable stretches at 100mph on I-95...

It will depend greatly upon your driving 'style'....

Reply to
tony

my '06 GT 'vert isn't broken-in yet, but gets 20+ city, 23+ mixed and

25+ highway......if I'm careful.

I think the biggest difference in mpg between V6 and V8 is that mileage on the V8 is more closely tied to how briskly you depress the loud pedal.

personally, I made a leap-of-faith and am guessing that the V8 will have greater longevity. Also like the idea that the V8 block and heads are of the same metal, not iron/alum as on the V6....and have always had head gasket problems with bi-metal motors. the mpg were so close, I didn't consider it.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Reply to
Al Antosca

You should pick up a couple extra MPG around 10,000 miles...

Reply to
John S.

Why will my milage improve after ~10000 miles?

Reply to
Al Antosca

Seems the 4.OL is a little tight from the factory... My buddy at Ford said they were suprised that the 4.0L didn't seem to "loosen up" until they had about 10,000 miles on them... he told me I would see a slight jump in MPG at around 10,000... sure enough... right around 9500 miles I pick up another 2 MPG...

Reply to
John S.