makes me think??

in the last 2 months, at the company i work for things have been changing. well they have hired 2 guys from ford and they both start monday. both held high jobs at ford in MI. made me think when i found out. did these guys jump ship or did they know they where getting ready to get canned?? if these guys where not making it at ford i fear they might not do our company any good either! 1 guys is going to management the other is in charge over the whole fabrication department. hum very interesting in deed. mp

Reply to
Michael price

Anyone with years at a large corp knows you cant take anything from either getting a notice you're out... or finding guys coming into YOUR place.

Ford made it clear they are downsizing middle management... dont believe for a minute that they are only 'keeping the good ones' and sweeping out the 'non-performers'.

That's not how it works. And you cant apply it to guys 'jumping ship' either.

If I'd been smart when that happened in my (IT related) company, I would have left prior to the RIF... then come back, later, as the focus re- changed. As a LOT of people did.

OR.. I would have gone back at a lower level when my 5 year embargo (because they bought me out) expired.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

My father retired from the military as an enlisted member and went to work for General Electric. Because of his background he went into management and became one of 6 managers. Then came layoffs. Being the new kid on the block, he expected to be out the door. Instead, the other 5 managers, with years of experience and education which dad lacked, got the axe. No accounting for it. As he said, they had the experience, training, etc, the company should have retained. He went on to a great career. So, the "new guys" could be very valuable assets to your company.

Reply to
veegerNO SPAM

Job performance is no better than 4th on the list of items considered in downsizing. Politics is first. Who like you, who protects you. Being unknown is good too. If you've tried to change things for the better odds are someone doesn't like you. Salary is next, the more you make the more of a target you are. What work is there to do? Do you fit in with that work? Another thing is being female or minority or someone who has some way of suing. If you can sue, then they'll be careful.

Basically job performance isn't really much of a consideration when downsizing occurs. It's so far down the list that if job performance is your best asset, you'll get downsized.

I've survived downsizings, I've been downsized. I've watched good performers go and slackers stay. I've been downsized while the people whom I fixed their screw ups stayed. You can't tell anything of someone's performance by them being downsized out of a job or jumping ship while expecting it.

I'd be more suspect of someone who was never downsized but consistantly worked at companies where it was a reality because I would think they were some sort of ass-kissing-know-nothing-yes-man rather than a performer.

Reply to
Brent P

i hope you guys are right. our company is starting to feel the toyota pressures as well. i work in the fab dept, and i`m looking forward to talking with the new guy over my dept. guess the next few years well tell. mp

Reply to
Michael price