Making The Case For Collector Cars

Check out this link.

I know... it's not a Mustang, or even a Ford, but you must admit it's a very nice car. Now here's the thing: They want $75Gs? (Not that this price is out of line for what these cars in this condition often fetch.) Yes, it's absolutely mint condition, but it's not a hemi car, or even 440. And even if it were a top-of-the-line classic Challenger, $75 grand will buy a lot of [modern] car these days. For a Dodge guy, a new 392 Challenger comes to mind and that still leaves him with plenty of money for a VERY nice runabout when he doesn't, on an in-climate day, want to spoil the fresh wax job on the [392] Challenger. I know there's the nostalgic factor, and auto purchases aren't always done with the rational side of the brain, but for someone who isn't mega-rich it would seem a purchase for something like this would take a lot to convince yourself that this is a deal.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

There is really no technical reason to pay these sky high prices. It's all emotion. I surprised the prices haven't crashed yet given the economic conditions.

Reply to
Brent

most all of hemmings is overpriced on everything, there are 9 over $50K stangs, all old, in there

try autotrader

Reply to
huhie

Now I could make the argument for something like this, at this price.

Do you agree?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp

45K for a car that has to be kept under a glass dome... that's not a car any longer, a person buys that so he can say he owns it. It's like a desirable painting or other work of art or artifact. The high price is so the owner can say he has it. that's it.
Reply to
Brent

I've often thought that if I had a gazillion dollars ... I'd fly down to a Barrett-Jackson auction, purchase a really nice vehicle, and when asked if I needed help loading it into a covered trailer, I would just say: "Na, I'll drive this puppy home and if it it breaks down, I've got triple A". A person can collect coins, stamps, antiques and numerous other things, but dammit, cars are meant to be driven!

JMHO Dick

Reply to
Dickr

Thank you. You crystallized my thoughts.

Ken

Reply to
Ken H

The Barrett-Jackson auto auction is live on the Speed channel this weekend. Even though I have a Powerball ticket, I don't have any hopes of becoming a millionaire. But it's fun to watch and see what Tammy from Texas? purchases. She built her own auto museum but she does drive a few of her cars on occasion.

FWIW Dick

Reply to
Dickr