Megiars Vinyl Protectant??? Aren't all "protectants" bad?

I've read that vinyl protectants are actually bad for your interior as they act as a wick to pull more chemicals out of your vinyl as they evaporate. But I've also seen meguiars brand of vinyl protectant at my local auto store. Meguiars is a pretty reputable company from what I can tell, so now I'm wondering if all the "vinyl protectant is bad for your interior" stuff is just bullshit. Does the meguiars stuff work differently than armor all or do they all work chemically the same?

Reply to
triadiemus

there are the crap ones and the good ones. I use lexol vinylex. of course I only use it like twice a year. I've had this same bottle for a couple-three years. It seems to work quite well. I even use it to bring new life into the paper pickup rubber 'wheel' on my old laser printer ;)

Reply to
Brent P

Never heard that one. I do know that some of them will build up layers and it's hell to get the stuff back off.... except when you're driving and it comes off on your hands.

Reply to
Spike

I believe it has something to do with alcohol, or amount of alcohol, in the protectant. Supposedly Armour All is really bad. Personally, I use Meguiars and have had good luck with it. But do any of them really help protect your vinyl, who knows?

Patrick

Reply to
NoOption5L

I used to use Armour All... No more. That stuff just built up layer upon layer. As if it were not bad enough I used it, the car wash detailing place also used it.

Reply to
Spike

I've decided I'll just use a moist cloth to clean my vinyl interior. What about leather though, is there such a controversy over leather protectants? Anything I should stay away from?

Reply to
triadiemus

A good saddle soap to keep it clean and supple.

Reply to
veeger