Mobil 1 oil

I have an 89 GT vert. I have done some mods to it.. Flows, BBk H-pipe, 3.73. The car has 80,000 miles on it. I live in Clearwater, Florida, so it gets hot here.

90 degrees in the summer. All along, I have used Castrol GTX, 20w-50w. I am thinking about switching to Mobil 1. Should I, and what would be the right weight? Thanks.
Reply to
Howard Mora

Apparently a lot of people believe Castrol to be crap. I used to use it... then I switched to Mobil 1 full synthetic 10w30... everything runs better for me. I don't think I could ever switch back now. It is pricey though.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
stew

Yeah I've heavily considered using Amsoil... but it's nowhere around here locally.

-Mike

Reply to
<memset

Reply to
stew

Reply to
Howard Mora

You order it from the toll free number or off the website and it comes UPS.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I believe some Amsoil oils are not API certified. All Mobil 1 oils are.

-- Jim

Reply to
Jim J

IMO, and also a test or two I've seen, Valvoline non-synth is the best non-synth. For synth, obviously Mobil 1 is one of, if not the best, in it's price range anyway. Amsoil could be better, but I think it's almost twice as much. It's hard to go wrong with Mobil 1. 10w30 will probably work fine for pretty much anyone, but they do make different versions.

For weight, I'd use the weight your engine says to use. That's what it was designed for. It's a bit hot there, but it's not Sahara Desert hot.

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
stew

Reply to
stew

Amsoil doesn't hand over the formula, I've used it for years and others have used it three times as long as I have.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I don't guess you saw the test that shows Valvoline synthetic to be better than Mobil 1 ?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

I see a test like that once in awhile. Usually it's splitting hairs between the two. I'd have no problem running either one. I think it's Pennzoil and Quaker State that I generally see ranked lower. Those two are probably fine for most people, too, but when the price is around the same, I'd take Mobil 1 or Valvoline. I have a soft spot for Valvoline non-synth trans fluid, too.

Reply to
Brad

I usually see Mobil 1 for $4.25 and Amsoil for over $7, the few times I've looked.

Reply to
Brad

so do you really think it's beter than all the other synthetics out there? if so, why?

Reply to
vince garcia

Yes, because of all the test results I've read and the amount of cleaning it did in my engine. Between Royal Purple and Amsoil, they have cleaned out most of the crap that was left behind by Castrol Syntec. Not to mention the word of mouth info from people who have used it for a very long time.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Reply to
stew

Reply to
stew
** well i don't know where you shop but at my store mobile 1 is 5.99

I've seen it sold at Wally World for $4.10/qt. Where are you seeing this?

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams