Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Uhh........Don't you mean you switched to Mobile 1 since it was in the "cleaner" DOHC ???

-ERIC

Reply to
Katmandu

Reply to
Rein

at 08 Apr 2004, Buford T. Justice [???@msn.com] wrote in news:c54ebb$2mn71v$ snipped-for-privacy@ID-208839.news.uni-berlin.de:

Nice! Thanks for the tip. Undoubtedly Wallyworld will start carrying it as well, if not, I'll deal with advance, they are right next door to there. :-)

Reply to
Paul

For years and years, up into the '70s for sure, Formula one, CanAm (the old group seven cars), most of the SCCA engine builders all ran bean oil in their motors... that is to say, oil from the castor bean (can we say Castrol???). I have to say that there is nothing like the smell of a motor running bean oil.....

Yes, synthetics are much better than conventionals..... yes the claims on some packages are misleading...... yes, running past recommended changes is misleading and doubtful.... no, 'most' of us don't need synthetics - if you can afford them, buy them if you like but in the conditions the vast majority of us encounter, they are not a necessity.

Current count has well over $15K canajun into the 500 RB RoadRunner. It will receive conventional oil though I will admit that intervals will be excrutiatingly short simply so we can cut the filters open..... plumbed for dual, small micron filters in parallel. I'm more anal than most sbout our project cars.... I spend a lot of money and I waste none of it......

Jim Warman

Brain fart. I switched from Castrol to Mobil1.

Reply to
Tungsten

High Temperature/High Shear (ASTM D-4683)

The High Temperature/High Shear Test measures a lubricant's viscosity under severe high temperature and shear conditions that resemble highly-loaded journal bearings in fired internal combustion engines. In order to prevent bearing wear, it is important for a lubricant to maintain its protective viscosity under severe operating conditions. The minimum High Temperature/High Shear viscosity for a 30 weight oil is 2.9 cP. As shown in the graph, AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil surpasses this minimum standard and displayed the highest High Temperature/High Shear viscosity in the group. The superior viscosity retention of AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil in the face of severe temperature and shear conditions allows it to provide continuous, unsurpassed protection for engine bearings, extending equipment life and preventing wear.

10W-30 Viscosity

AMSOIL--------------------------------------------------------3.51 cP Quaker State Peak Performance---------3.37 Castrol GTX Drive Hard -----------------3.35 Valvoline Syn Power -----------------3.30 Mobil 1 Super Syn Power ---------3.30 Valvoline ------------------------------3.28 Mobil Drive Clean -------------3.20 Pennzoil with Purebase --3.16 Quaker State Synthetic -3.15 Pennzoil Synthetic -----3.14 Castrol Syntec ---------3.13

March 2003 test results

All the Best, Steve 15 year independent AMSOIL Synthetic Lubricants Dealer

Proudly Made in the USA! Offering wholesale prices to all

Reply to
SnThetcOil

Heh, I told you guys that Valvoline was better than Mobil 1. Of course it depends on how much you can trust the CAMARO owner that posted this! :-D

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

and AMSOIL dealer.

Rein

It's hard to believe that anything short of $8 a quart is better than Mobil 1. But, I'll say this: Valvoline non-synth is probably the best non-synth out there. Mobil non-synth sucks ass compared to non-synth Valvoline. There is probably a fine line between Mobil 1 and synth Valvoline. Both are good stuff.

Valvoline has one of the best transmission fluids, too, be it synth or non-synth. The shit simply works. I'd take GM Syncromesh over it if price is no concern, but I'd never hesitate to put Valvoline non-synth trans fluid in a car.

Reply to
Brad

What do you guys think of Havoline products? I take the Ranchero to one of the local Xpresslube's and get great service. I know this because they let me watch everything, even getting under the car in the pit to check stuff out. With the rear main seal blown on the 'chero, the free top offs are great. The 289 uses 1/2 qt a week, so I definitely get my moneys worth over a 3 month period. Plus the owner is a Mustang guy with a 94 Shinoda Cobra and a 71 Convertible setup like a Mach 1. He's also has multiple ford "project's" that his wife keeps telling him to get rid of. :) I know I'm getting great service, but what about the product itself? Currently running Havoline high mileage

10/40.
Reply to
Scott Williams

I just have a hard time believing that a synthetic invented in the 1960s is superior to all the synthetics made in the '90s and 2000s...

Reply to
vince garcia

----- Original Message ----- From: Scott Williams Sent: 4/26/2004 2:45 AM

Scott... there are some thing even GOD doesn't need to know.

BTJustice

Reply to
Buford T. Justice

WEll, it's cheap and it worked for me. I ran a 95GT up to 93K on this stuff alone. Did 3K oil changes and it ran great when I sold it, did not use any oil. Kept the engine purring just fine. I think for normal performance engines this stuff is great as long as you change it on time. Can't beat the price, with rebates it usually is around 60 cents a quart.

Rein

93k is not that much mileage. A Mustang 5 litre engine (for eg) can take 150k min. driven hard with your oil change regimen before it ever shows any signs of wear. My 93 had 7 years and 263k on it and the engine itself (transmission is another issue) only showed some oil consumption, no mechnical problems.

-Rich

Reply to
Richard

What about Wal-Mart "Super Tech" brand full synthetic?

Reply to
winze

"winze" wrote

My guess is that it's made by someone else, ya gotta figure out who it is first. Just like Pep Boys, I heard their oil is actually Castrol in a Pep Boys carton. I don't know if it's true or not.

Reply to
Scott Williams

Walmart oil comes from somewhere, we just don't know where. Like most any house brand oil they buy it from some major brand and maybe not the same one twice in row. I use the regular walmart dino oil in the beater car with no problems at all. IMO it's no worse than buying whatever is on sale that week.

Reply to
Brent P

Yeah, so am I, big deal. It does not change the facts.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]