most popular colors

The Ford Probe was popular in brown.

Reply to
.boB

yup, i like Acapulco Blue too. peter

Reply to
picaza

OUCHEEEEEZZZZZZ!

As a 4th generation Californian, I represent .... errrr.... resemble.... errrr.... resent that remark... : )

Seriously though... in the rod world you're probably right. And regionally within the state you might be correct (East LA?).

In the classic world, I disagree. Most of the classics I see, and we have really big Hot August Nights and Kool April Nights type events, the majority of classics are more in keeping with build correct or at least era oem correct.

Lots of dark greens, blacks, etc. A large number of whites which may be because of the heat we experience in the west. It could be because the darker colors contrast all that chrome better than the brighter ones. That's probably why I selected Vintage Burgundy over Crimson.

I don't mean to say red isn't used often. It is. But, I believe, a lot less than people might think. It does however, equate to speed and spottiness from a psychological perspective. And that alone draws the eye of law enforcement (sporty, red, fast, single, young, male driver = TICKET or sporty, red, fast, young, single, female driver = DATE). (Did I say that? Hmmmm. Showing my age.... LOL)

Or maybe it's because red is the most expensive n>

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

Reply to
cprice

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:40:53 -0800, Spike wrote something wonderfully witty:

According to a local newspaper article in the past ten years Yellow has made an amazing come-back & is pretty high up there in the preferred color spectrum. Burnt Orange, Desert Orange and various Cooper colors seem to be coming on strong as well.

My new F150 STX is Bright Red (Mfr Code @EE4). Gotta love it. My real first choice was the Drk Stone Metallic, but the one on the lot didn't have the right options.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

Silver Still Shines As Most Popular Car Color Basic Paint Takes Top Spot For Fourth Year

What's your favorite color? Chances are when you buy a new car, it's silver.

Lorene Boettcher, manager of global design and color marketing at PPG Industries, said silver was the most popular vehicle color in the 2004 model year. It is the fourth straight year that has happened. Silver was on was on 27 percent of cars made for 2004, up 3 percent from last year. For sports and compact cars, silver was on 31 percent of the vehicles.

Other popular colors were: Red and white at 14 percent each Black, 13 percent Blue, 12 percent Naturals such as gold, copper, champagne and lighter shades of brown,

11 percent Green, 5 percent

Globally, silver was also the top choice, followed by white, black, naturals, blue, red and green.

Boettcher said silver seems to appeal to people because it gives the notion that it's modern and has high-tech attributes.

She said there's also a growing interest in blues -- especially turquoise shades. Yellow has also been any up & comer over the last

10 years as well. Especially in the Sports Car segment.
Reply to
ZombyWoof

The 1965 Mustang Fastback 2+2 I bought when I returned from Vietnam in

1970 was yellow. And my running partner in 1971 found a brand new, still full guaranteed 1967 dark green 390 equipped Mustang Fastback at the local Ford dealer for about $2750. Two weeks after he bought the car he got orders to Vietnam.

My yellow one, 289 2V C4, with financing in 1970 cost me $1079.00. The 66 I bought last year, with the original washer bag and all, cost $14,000. The 65 I bought to replace it cost $9,000 before restoration.

Look>On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 10:40:53 -0800, Spike wrote

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 22:00:52 -0800, Spike wrote something wonderfully witty:

Fortunately for me I managed to dodge the draft long enough to join the Air Force and only had to go to Thailand TDY. It was hard duty, but somebody had to do it. :)

I still bemoan the sale of my beloved `72 Goat when I departed for my Tour in Korea. Been trying to replace it for years, but I only find junk or stuff in the thirties. The nicest one I've ever seen which was an exact replacement for mine in about the same shape I sold it in was $65,000, I about coughed up a lung.

The Goat wasn't the only one to get away either. Over the years in the 70's & 80's I went through El Camino SS's, Chevelle BB, various

60's Camaro's 3 different 50's Ford pickups to include a sweet `55 Street Rod, oh and last but not least the infamous babe-rmobile the Blue/blue `66 Galaxie 500 XL Convertible, 390, 4-sp. Lost something all youngmen itch to lose in that mean machine. Yum, yum getcha some. Bought it with the money my Gramps left me when he passed. Pissed my Dad off big time.
Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

percent

brown,

Black is my current favorite (the R/T looks simply awesome all blacked out with the chrome OEM wheels), but the LX is, of course, Calypso Green. I hated that color at first, but I've since grown to love it. Back in the early '90s it was the "summer surf" color to get, at least it was down here in SoFla. I used to see (and occasionally still do see) Rangers, Escorts, and of course Mustangs running around all over the place in that color. A few other makers copied it, but Ford had the best version of that color IMO.

Joe

People who buy silver and white cars make me sick. Don't they know that they can be mistaken for cop cars and cause undue anxiety to the rest of us? :)

-Rich

Reply to
RichA

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 14:19:56 -0500, RichA wrote something wonderfully witty:

Not in Virginia. Ever see our ugly ass Trooper Cars?

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On 19 Feb 2005 15:59:32 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

Nothing prettier the a nice clean black Car/Truck, nothing uglier

5-minutes out of the garage. Love Black, but what a PIA!
Reply to
ZombyWoof

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 06:42:29 -0500, ZombyWoof wrote something wonderfully witty:

While I hate responding to myself nostalgia got the better of me and I went looking around for that `66 Galaxie. Found one that is pretty close to mine. It appears prices have gone up a bit since the 70's.

ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

percent

black,

blacked

True, but the R/T still looks decent for about 4 days after I wash it. Then it starts to look nasty.

Joe

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 22:11:34 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

Wow, a whole four days huh :) I think people like Silver cause it seems like they can go months without washing it, and many do :(

Reply to
ZombyWoof

ZombyWoof wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

So what does that tell you about the owners? Maybe silver is more popular because most people are freakin' lazy? Just a thought...

Joe

those studies of what colors people prefer don't mean anything anymore - because there aren't any choices anymore!!!!

for those too young to remember: years back, even the cheapest cars gave you basic interior color choices: red, green, blue, tan/brown, black ...then you chose cloth or vinyl. on a convert, you could have a white, tan, black, lt blue or lt green top. the more expensive the car, the more choices.....car makers used to advertise the thousands of possible combinations. Packard even offerred "whitewalls" with a color stripe to match the body color.

I think Chrysler was the first make to totally eliminate any interior choices: they came-up with the mousie gray cloth with flecks of green,red,yellow & blue for the Neon......only 1 interior available for any exterior color.

The epitome was when the Lincoln LS came out: one interior (halfway between gray and tan) to go with about 20 exterior colors that were all gray (no blues, no reds, etc). and when the new TBird came out.......only a solid black interior (on a ugly $40,000 car) or you could pay thousands for some red bits thrown in. Gee, wonder why it didn't sell ?!?! New Town Cars let you chose a couple shades of gray.

SO, the new Mustang: I'm going to order a convertible. It'll be Sonic Blue, white, or flame red. Top choices: black or tan (no white). Interior: all dark charcoal, tan (with BLACK trim) or gray. The red interior trim is nice but too much black and not available with many exterior colors. The original pics a year ago showed a blue interior accent package, but that apparently didn't make it.

The only car made that I don't find boring, but they're doing their best: considering that it's going to sticker for around $34,000 and they won't be dealing.....think you could get some choices.

Reply to
Itsfrom Click

Itsfrom Click opined in news: snipped-for-privacy@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net:

Oh, yeah... I love it when I'm looking for my next beater and all I can find is freaking BLUE interiors...

Of course it does make the car go cheap, cause no one else likes a used car with a blue interior, either.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 04:59:34 GMT, Joe wrote something wonderfully witty:

That is what I was leading to without actually coming right out and saying it. My Mustang & S-10 are both Black. My F-150 is Bright Red, and my Wife's Astro Van is a two-tone Dark Gray & Silver. My Scooter is Seafoam Metallic & Cream.

I haven't decided what color the `72 BB Corvette will be when (and if) I ever get done rebuilding it. I am turning it into a reliable daily driver as opposed to an original restoration. So it may end up either a Metallic Copper or Millennium Yellow. That is TBD and probably quite a ways off and subject to change based on the mood I am on the day it is painted. Still have four more years of University Tuition for my youngest that I will be paying for about 10-years after she graduates. I knew I shouldn't have had that last drink 18-years ago!

Reply to
ZombyWoof

backyard:

'course, location and climate enter into it, too. Freezing up north, a red interior is nice. Ya don't want red where you've got a lot of sun - it fades. SIlver & white hide dust & dirt. Black shows every speck.

guess I still haven't gotten over my '62 500XL convert: white on white with blue, tinted glass, 390. sigh sigh

Reply to
Itsfrom Click