Muffler Question

Muffler question.

My girlfriend has an '04 Mustang GT and she has stated that she would like her GT's exhaust to sound a bit louder and more agressive. Gotta love a woman enjoys the rumble of a V-8. Anyway, any suggestions? Back to lurking.

Michael

Reply to
mykul_71

If she doesn't mind (or even likes) droning.... Flowmaster 40 series all the way. I have them on my car & *damn* I am still addicted to them. I constantly get compliments on the way the car sounds. Hi-flow cats are next ;).

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

I suggest looking into the Dynomax Ultraflows. They are fairly quiet when driving conservatively but get a real aggressive sound when driving the car hard.

Reply to
Michael Johnson, PE

How bad is the droning? Can you still hear the tunes? ... with the top down!

snipped-for-privacy@recorddeal.com wrote:

Reply to
Mr.~G

Oh it's not THAT bad.... you can still hear your tunes perfectly ok. And with top down (or windows down for me). Sounds great, IMO.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Some guys are putting a 3 chambered Flow on one side and a 2 chamber on the otherside to kill the drone. They claim it works pretty well. If you look at the factory mufflers they are different lengths so there might be something to it.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

I love the drone!! hehheheh... nobody has whined about getting a headache

*yet*... but I _could_ very easily see people whining about the drone. It is pretty noticeable..

Not a bad idea though, MadDAWG.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

Not me. I had to pretty much max out the volume on the radio to hear it going down the highway.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Damn.... crap stereo? I have 2 40 series mufflers & the drone really isn't THAT bad.. I'm running dumps too. My stereo isn't even half way up & I can hear it fine.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

I have a pair of MAC 2 chamber mufflers on my stock '04GT. They are not as loud as Flowmaster and have a really nice performance tone and little drone.

Gumby '04GT

Reply to
Gumby

i concur

flows sound most excellent on a mustang

and i think the drone sounds awesome

dont have them on my cobra tho, i have the borla stingers. couldnt get the flowmaster catback to fit right. had them but sold them. but they do sound great.

chris

04 comp orange cobra vert

Reply to
Chris Shea

Nope, high powered JVC head unit and Cerwin Vega speakers in stock locations. The volume numbers run from 0-70, and rolling down the highway with 3.73 gears and the window open requires it to be on at least 60.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG

Which car do you have again? I don't have this problem with mine. I have a sony head unit w/ a 400 watt amp w/ 12" sub. I generally keep the bass down, I just wanted a little extra "umph". It goes from 0-30 or so.. only had it up to 25 once & that was to see how it sounded. When playing a CD... generally keep it around 8-10. 12 on highway.

-Mike

-- A happy kid behind the wheel of a 98 Mustang GT Cold air intake FRPP 3.73 gears Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter Flowmaster 40 Series mufflers (self-installed woohoo) Hi-speed fan switch

255/60R-15 rear tires Subframe connectors Aluminum adjustable clutch quadrant

Reply to
<memset

(MadDAWG) Wrote:

I've never had loud mufflers so I don't know what it takes to get over the drone with a stereo. I will say this about car stereo systems. "High powered head units" only put out about 15 watts RMS(continuous) MAX! I don't care what it says on the box or front panel of the unit. Standard in-dash units put out 3 - 5 watts. You need an external amplifier to get REAL power. Every time you double amplifier wattage it only adds 1 decible to the the speaker sound level. Most speakers are rated at around 90dB with 1 watt amplifier output, 2 watts will get you 91dB, 4 watts = 92dB, 8 watts = 93dB, 16 watts = 94dB, and so on. Real amplifier power doesn't just allow you to play the system louder, it also allows the system to play more accurately IMO. Kinda like fighting an 8 pound hawg with 15 pound line and tight drag, as opposed to 6 pound line and a loose drag. Oops, wrong group!

Reply to
Sunset Sam

I have the Flowmasters on my 03 cobra. There defintely IS a drone around 1900 rpm, but it's at a very small rpm-range (probably 100rpm orso) and it really doesn't bother me. I'm pretty picky so it's not bad at all.

Rein

So, what is/causes droning?

Reply to
John

FLOWMASTERS! LOL Joke! Anyways, here ya go http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cache:_3CiAvW43HEJ:

Gill

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 22:29:32 -0800, Gill wrote something wonderfully witty:

Speaking of mufflers and 4.6's, does anyone know if the 4.6 in the new F-150 is the same engine as in the GT? I just bought one and the damn truck is way to quite in the old exhaust department. Anyone have any recommendations on how to get that beautiful Ford V8 sound out of a

4.6 in a 2005 F-150?
Reply to
ZombyWoof