Mufflers 5.0

I was thinking of replacing stock with flowmaster 50, I dont want it too loud and do not want the drone, I think the Flowmaster 40's are too loud for hte neighborhood. Any quiet type aftermarkets out there?

Thanks

Reply to
harry

Go to the Flowmaster web site and check out their collection of sound files for comparisom.

Reply to
Spike

If you put Flowmasters under your car you will regret it. (Been there, done that.) The only set of mufflers that ever worked for me were the application specific turbos that Midas sells. P.S. Don't change to a larger pipe diameter otherwise you will lose your low end torque.

Reply to
Ironrod

Regret Flowmasters?? Highly doubtful.

Reply to
WindsorFox

I dont want anything too loud, friend has a car and you can hear him from blocks away, cannot find anything that compairs to stock, to flowmaster 40s or 50s etc.

Reply to
harry

Check out Bassani if you want a good stainless muffler with a nice deep rumble without setting off all the car alarms within six blocks. Some say they're too quiet, but I like mine a lot. I can hear them when I drive, but they don't overpower the stereo or a conversation like the Flowmasters.

Blue Gator

Reply to
Blue Gator
2.25 inch cat back pipes with Flowmaster 3 chamber mufflers, they don't sound too bad until you actually put a load on the engine, like going uphill. Not only that but they drone at certain RPM's. When I lived in California I would take trips up to Reno Nevada, when leaving Sacramento you start on a constant uphill grade for almost 80 miles before getting to Reno, first thing I did after checking into the Hotel was to take the car to the nearest muffler shop and have those things hacked out. The shop in question had quite an impressive pile of used Flowmasters laying about, some were cut open in order to show the level of degradation that even a slightly used one suffers on the inside.

Reply to
Ironrod

Interestingly enough, assuming you have a stock engine, there is little to be gained by changing out your stock cat-back system. (Less than a 1hp difference according to one source.) By way of comparison a good tune-up could give you more than a 12hp increase. If age and wear mandate replacement I would recommend just getting a good set of staggered length (to avoid the drone)turbo mufflers.

Reply to
Ironrod

i just got flowmaster 40s (the louder ones) on my 89 GT and i LOVE them. i dont think its too loud with 4 dam cats in front of them. wish there were only 2.

a friend has an 89 5.0 with NO cats and flowmaster 40s and it is obviously louder and meaner sounding which is the whole point.

But with the stock 4 cats on there might as well get the most bang for your buck and it wont be that loud, theres a decent, but not great, idle sound, (because of the cats), and when im at about 2000 rpm or about right before i shift is the sweet spot for the mean sound and i cant get enough.

Ir> Interestingly enough, assuming you have a stock engine, there is little to

Reply to
faust_151

That's called "Drone" or resonance, and it's not sweet. It's the sound waves working against each other. Kind of like a band stop filter in an electronic circuit.

Reply to
GILL