Mustang 5.0 Coyote V8 on the way

Rumors of the legendary 5.0's return have been nonstop since, well, the 5.0 left us way back in 95 or so. An Australian Ford executive, Russell Christophers, has confirmed that the Blue Oval is building an all-new, all-aluminum DOHC 5.0 liter V8. The codename of this project is "Coyote", and the power output is expected to be right around 400 HP and 400 lb-ft of torque.

The natural uses of this all-new engine will be in the Mustang GT, of course, first and foremost. It will give the Mustang GT a much better value proposition when compared to the Challenger and Camaro - right now it lacks quite a few ponies. Ford will probably also use this engine in the F-150 - possibly replacing both the current 4.6 and the 5.4 liter V8's.

Not much better than a bigger, more powerful Mustang engine. And the fact that it's all-aluminum is a huge plus - it should help the front-end weight bias a bit. As long as Ford can manage to keep that signature Mustang V8 growl ( no doubt they will ), I can't wait to see this engine in action.

Davïd Greenville, NC

Reply to
Ðavïd

Hmmm.....Must check into the "Cash for Clunkers" program, or get one the old fashion way. Our hero might kill it his mighty words though :(

Reply to
GILL

If I trade in my '93 5.0 (rated at >cough< 18mpg) for a 2010 Mustang (rated at >cough< 18mpg), I probably don't qualify for the rebate.

If that new 5.0 manages to come in at, say, 28mpg, no-brainer.

:()

Reply to
dwight

That's not bad, considering your 5L was rated at >cough< 215hp, and the

2010 is >cough< 315hp

You might qualify for a V-6 though. ;)

Reply to
GILL

In 1993, it was >cough< 205. But horsepower is irrelevant. MPG is everything now, don't you know?

dwight

Reply to
dwight

my new V6 Camaro... >cough< 304hp and >cough< 29 MPG highway... after replacing stock mufflers >cough< 32 MPG cruising at 60 MPH... ;)

Reply to
John S.

Jim Warman

Did he say the turbos run at 170,000 RPM???

Reply to
WindsorFo

That he did... no idea on how much time for these things to spool down... Gasoline at 2100 PSI sounds kinda scarey... Fuel pressure on the 6.4 diesel can top out in the 25,000~30,000 PSI range but diesel is nowhere near as volatile as gas.

Not sure when we'll see our first units... maybe even before I return from vacation.

Side note - we received a Transit Connect before I left on holiday...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Been reading up on DI since I got my Camaro... DI is some pretty cool stuff! And yeah, something like 500 PSI at idle and 1700 PSI at WOT... had to use a mechanical pump driven off the camshaft to get that kind of PSI...

Also basics of Direct Injection:

John S.

Wow! Those almost exactly match my 2009 Mustang GT's figures. I think I'm a little higher on the HP & Torque, due to a CAI in addtion to the muffler replacement. Not too shabby in either case ...

Reply to
Frank ess

Actually you have a LOT more TQ! That the important piece a lot of the Chevy fanboys forget! Too many people go "WOW! 300 HP!! I can beat a Mustang GT!!" I simply laugh at them! I know BETTER! The V6 Camaro only has 273 ft/lbs vs the GT which is more like 320 ft/lbs!! Also my Camaro is a BOAT! She weighs in at 3800 pounds!

So yeah, everyone want to compare this V6 to V8s.... I think that's silly! Compare it to other V6s! The specs are pretty interesting too... like 11.3:1 compression ratio on 87 octane! LOL!

But you are right... it's not to shabby! I am really enjoying the car! Lots of trips to the drag strip and even a day on the road course! It's a very fun car! And most importantly i'm not delusional over just how good it can perform! LOL!

Reply to
John S.
[ ... ]

"Actually you have a LOT more TQ! That the important piece a lot of the Chevy fanboys forget! Too many people go "WOW! 300 HP!! I can beat a Mustang GT!!" I simply laugh at them! I know BETTER! The V6 Camaro only has 273 ft/lbs vs the GT which is more like 320 ft/lbs!! Also my Camaro is a BOAT! She weighs in at 3800 pounds!

"So yeah, everyone want to compare this V6 to V8s.... I think that's silly! Compare it to other V6s! The specs are pretty interesting too... like 11.3:1 compression ratio on 87 octane! LOL!

"But you are right... it's not to shabby! I am really enjoying the car! Lots of trips to the drag strip and even a day on the road course! It's a very fun car! And most importantly i'm not delusional over just how good it can perform! LOL!"

Well, that's what they are for!

I think all the modern "pony" cars are more like "dray horses"; give us a 10% or 12% cut in all dimensions and we'll be back within the original concept.

I gave my convertible a pretty good workout last Friday night at the QualComm Stadium RaceLegal drags. It's not a good track, only eighth-mile, but it's nearby and near sea level, so I think you can draw some legitimate conclusions from the data:

090807
090731 Car is a 2008 GT/CS automatic convertible, 2,100 miles on the clock. "Bullitt" FRPP CAI, GTA mufflers. About five gallons less gasoline in the tank, second day. First week was all top-down runs; after probably sixty passes with the top down in this and the previous V6 convertible, they finally said I needed the top up or a full-face helmet (boggle). Same everything else, as near as I could tell.

With the Torque and Race tunes, the car chirps the tires on the 1-2 shift; gear changes are dramatically quicker, on the order of one-fourth the elapsed time between one gear and the next; shifts are much sharper, by which I mean to say quicker in time and with no perceptible "taper" to ease from one to the next. Gear changes with wide-open throttle are at 6,000 RPM, close as I can tell. In the Torque Tune, the exhaust note is "punchier" than stock, to my ear; "taut", "tight" also come to mind. I don't know how to measure that. I haven't driven the other tunes on the street, so I can't report their sound differences, if any. It takes a much lighter touch on the pedal to increase acceleration; neck-snap latency is reduced. In "D" the transmission stays in lower gears to higher RPM on light throttle. I could be in 4th overdrive by 25 MPH on stock tune: it won't come out of third until more than 35 MPH.

I think I have eliminated all the transcribing errors. Perfect Reaction Time is 0.500. I converted red-light R/Ts to positive difference to make it easier to get them into the spreadsheet. I believe the left lane is slightly faster than the right. I tried to use the same technique for each launch: just enough "burnout" to dry the water off the tires; brake-hold at 1,500 RPM; slap the throttle when the second light goes off; let the wheels do what they will; accelerate well past the finish (I like braking, too)(amazing to me how many opponents quit while they are behind, and how many sandbaggers are there looking for a cheap trophy). I actually had the impression my best run was that good; otherwise, only a very general "better" or "not so good", not always correct.

I must find a quarter-mile track near here; I think the clsest one is a hundred miles away, and I'll bet the on-track traffic won't allow anything like the number of trials I can get at Qualcomm.

Cheers!

Reply to
Frank ess

This new engine has had a number of monikers during development -- I've heard Hurricane and Cobra Jet.

Regardless of it's name this engine was designed for the truck line to better compete against Dodge's Hemi, Chevy's Vortec & Toyota's I-Force V8s. The first application is in Ford's new off-road renegade the Raptor pickup. But it is expected and assumed it'll eventually be sitting between the frame rails of a muscular Mustang.

Fingers are crossed.

Patrick

Reply to
NoOp