Mustang good for car bombs !

terrorists love this car !

Reply to
Stan J. Lefosi

Exactly where did you get this information? There are very few foreign deliveries of Mustangs and none to any terrorist infested locations, that I'm aware of.

Further, there's no place in a Mustang to hide any significant amounts of explosives. Finally, you're an idiot for just making that statement without any references to specific events.

Reply to
Mustang_66

I agree, there are no known accounts of a Mustang of any era being used for car bombs that I know of.

Reply to
Greg

Maybe he's thinking of the Pinto?

Reply to
Matthew B. Tepper

Maybe he's thinking of the Pinto?

Uhh... Wasn't that a stock item on those? :-)

Reply to
Mustang_66

The pinto was a bomb in it's self. No special planning needed, just a tank of gas. ;)

Reply to
Greg

me thinks the Troll stinketh!

Reply to
SVTKate

Or maybe a Grand Marquis! Joe '03 GT 'Vert

Reply to
joe

Maybe he is thinking of the Mustang II, since it was built on the Pinto chaises all you needed to do was put something explosive in back (like putting gas in the tank!) and have it stall in rush hour traffic.

Reply to
Ironrod

I've never heard something so ridiculous. The Mustang II was not built on a Pinto chassis, sorry, nope, your way off base on this one...............

Bill S.

Ir> Maybe he is thinking of the Mustang II, since it was built on the Pinto

Reply to
Bill S.

Not only that but it was only one year on the Pinto and the Pinto only. Few people seem to know WHY some of those Pintos would boom if rear-ended properly.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

quote Bill S.

" Few people seem to know WHY some of those Pintos would boom if rear-ended properly." end quote

im sure it has something to do with the fuel tank location and lack of a good fire wall

Reply to
j.moffett

The Pinto had a fuel tank that was on the outside of the car floor. It wasn't the same as the vintage Mustang that used the tank top as the trunk floor. One of the contributing factors in the Pinto fires was that the gas tank was actually crushed against the rather jagged castings of the rear axle assembly. This burst the tank, spilling its contents and well I'm sure there was plenty of sparking metal going on in such a violent event. IIRC the first "exploding" Pinto was hit by a similar vintage Lincoln Town Car doing 90 mph. Very few modern cars would come out of that equation with flying colours. If you look at many new cars gas tanks they have a thick plastic surround on them. This is a legacy of the Pinto events. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Sorry you miss quoted me. Mine was as follows:

"I've never heard something so ridiculous. The Mustang II was not built on a Pinto chassis, sorry, nope, your way off base on this one..............."

Bill S.

j.moffett wrote:

Reply to
Bill S.

I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one, but keep in mind I'm using thirty year old mental recall to dredge up that little factiod. At that point in history my car of choice was a 66 GTO.

Reply to
Ironrod

Although the Mustang II was shall we say a "Pinto based designed" It shared very few actual chassis parts with the little horse car. Much like the original Mustang really isn't a Falcon when you look at it though it does share parts and most certainly its whole basic chassis design too. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

And I'm sure you are incorrect. And the construction of a 73 Pinto differs very greatly in safety construction of what 73 model?

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

the same as

burst the tank,

Car doing 90

them. This is

Not exactly jagged axel parts, but close. :oP

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Too easy. :) Seat belt mounting bolts.... somewhat not surprisingly, the old Mustangs have the same general configuration, but haven't gone boom... that said, a full tank of gas and the right impact angle and you never know...

Brad S

Reply to
Brad

Too EASY??? Heh, you're the first one to post it. That's because the Mustang of the time had it's own seatbelt bolts, the Pintos that exploded had leftover LTD bolts that wer too long and punctured the tank.

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]