Mustang Quits!

I have a 92 GT, starts fine and runs fine for about 5 to 8 minutes. Then it just quits, If it does refire you have to pump the gas to keep it running. I know its in the fuel system somewhere,but were? Thanks Dean.

Reply to
Dean

Dean,

My guess is it's a bad fuel pump.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

Start with replacing the fuel filter. If that does not help, then get a fuel pressure gauge and test fuel pressure at the schraeder valve on the fuel rail on the engine. if memory serves me right, its on the left hand side (you standing at front bumper looking at engine) front corner of the engine. 'schraeder' is the type of valve on your tire's valve stems. I think about 30 PSI is correct here, but double check in your haynes or chiltons manual.

If you don't have the requisite pressure at the schraeder valve AND you've replaced the fuel filter, my guess is that your fuel pump is shot. You might also have a pinched fuel line (put a floor jack in the wrong place lately?). Your car is 13 years old, so its entirely possible that the pump is worn out. The pump is in the tank, so you have to drop the tank to replace it. Make sure you replace the fuel filter (again) after you change pumps - theres alot of crap that can get in the lines when you disconnect everything.

HTH

Dean wrote:

Reply to
cprice

Hell I'm on my third pump now (88GT) and it's making noises like its fixing to fail yet again. If you're still on your first pump I'd replace it just on GP.

Reply to
ironrod

(again)

minutes. Then

Reply to
Jimmy

Man, you need to buy gas somewhere other than Wal-Mart! :-p

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

lmfao why dont you just check fuel pressure at the rail only IDIOTS guess

could also be a plugged exhaust

hurc ast

Reply to
gerald smith

Reply to
ironrod

Actually, When I moved, I changed from buying at the same Exxon that I had use since I was 14 and started buying at Albertsons. It was in about June. That year when it got cold my Mustang for the first time since 1989 started being cold natured in the morning. I switched again... But I remember reading that about in tank pumps and thinking yinkes. Then when I replaced my original pump I took it completely apart to see how it work. The realization was sobering. I wondered who was the first guy that dropped a running 12V electrical motor into a bucket of gasoline to see what happened. LOL

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

what a tard gas does not burn

hurc ast