Mustang Repair Help Southern California - references?

Hi,

I'm about to buy my first Mustang - a `67 coupe 289 V8. Before I get it on the road, though, I want it gone through by someone who knows these cars. It has a power steering fluid leak that needs attending to, plus it needs a new light switch / turn signal stalk. Also a general look-over/tune up for anything else.

Does anyone have any good references for repair work? I live in the Costa Mesa, Newport Beach area. Email me at cajunaise (at sign) hotmail.com, or post here. Thanks in advance!

Reply to
MoreOfTheBugs

Just want to warn you, BEWARE of that PSF leak! That was a major headache when I bought my '67. Of course, I have a 302 engine in mine, which doesn't leave a lot of clearance for the pressure lines, which was a large part of the problem. (Fun Fact: Power steering fluid is flammable. One time outside Las Vegas I heard this "pfft" sound, then HUGE billows of black smoke started pouring out from under the hood. The line had rubbed against the exhaust mani, which was hot enough to burn through the hose and ignite the PSF.)

Find out if the leak is in the lines (which is relatively easy to repair if you have a 289 engine), or if it's the pump. If it's the pump, BE WARNED: You can buy a pump, but they're sold without the pulley and NOBODY sells the pulley! You have to take the pulley off the old pump and put it on the new one. And you HAVE to use the proper tools. (First I sold the old pump, then when I bought the new pump I found out about the pulley thing and had to BUY BACK the old pump. Then I tried to "improvise" removing the pulley, and ended up bending it. Finally I had to take the whole mess to a machine shop. I spent what little money I had left getting drunk that month.)

Wish I had a mechanic that I could rave to you about. If you do find a good one, let me know?

MoreOfTheBugs wrote:

Reply to
Emil Hoff

Not originally you didn't, and why should that be any different than a 289?

The best tool for that is an electric impact gun. Air guns are almost as good.

Ebay is full of used pulleys, and the Ford parts vendors have them brand new for 80 bucks or less. Do your homework before you start spreading misinformation.

Reply to
CobraJet

Yes I did, it was in when I bought it. NOW who's spreading misinformation? The difference is what I said directly below. With a

302 engine, there's less clearance for the pressure lines. They kept coming up against the exhaust manifold and burning through. But when I tied them down there wasn't enough "free play" when the wheels were turned, and the metal part of the lines would bend and crack. It's a very delicate balance; but as I said in my message (if you read it), it's not an issue if you have a 289.

Surprised you didn't have something snide to say here.

Well EXCUSE me, but I *couldn't* find a pulley for love or money at the time; admittedly it was in the days before Ebay. In any case I was relating my own experience, which DID happen. While I'm doing my homework, why don't you read messages through before calling someone a liar.

Reply to
Emil Hoff

You are. The 302 didn't come out until part way through the '68 production year. Your car had a 289 in it, *originally*.

Stupid observation number two. 289's and 302's are the same dimensions externally, and one would have no more or less clearance than the other.

You're such an idiot. See above.

Your message says "...but they're sold without the pulley and NOBODY sells the pulley." That is present tense, asshole.

Reply to
CobraJet