My 2007 Mustang GT 5spd feels slow

I just picked up my new 2007 GT 5spd convertible today and I feel disappointed.

I have a 2002 GT 5spd convertible that I have yet to sell (autotrader.com zipcode=07444) with 92Kmiles and when I kick the gas the car jumps up even at lower RPM. My 2007 feels like there is a servo between me and the throttle that is rolling on the gas over about half a second - like turbo lag. At higher RPM (3.5k) its a lot better, but it gives me the feeling I am driving an automatic sometimes.

My 2007 GT only has 30 miles on it so I am hoping it will break in. Anyone have any similar feelings about 2005+ GT's? Any solutions that will not void my warranty?

I have not tried any serious smoky burnouts yet, but I get the feeling that its going to take more effort. It could be that the gears are taller and the car is heavier, or the cam is throwing all the horsepower above 3500 RPM where my old GT feels more like the old

5.0Liter.

I am going to post another thread about horsepower mods that might help. I wonder if flashing the computer will help me get rid of that Cadillac feeling.

Thanks for letting me vent, I will try some more tests tonight.

OH wait and its too freakin quiet. Unless I really get on the gas I cant even here the exhaust! And dont get me started about those damn headrests that block your vision - and the shaker 500 has had a very difficult time playing the first 3 MP3 CDs I just burned.

When my friend heard I was buying a new GT, he ordered a supercharger for his 2002 GT coupe since I was going to have more horsepower than him. I think he might not need it. In a few days we will do some tests comparing the 07 and 02 GT and see what the deal is.

ok that's it.

-howy

Reply to
howyhowy

Noticed this on the V6 rental I tried a couple of weeks ago. It seemed like the computer, or something, would get confused. Once going, it pulled nicely in every gear though and especially at highway speeds.

Maybe this is the cause?

Sadly MP3 players (the kind that play CD's with MP3's on them) are very fussy. Try a different brand of blank and burn them at a slower speed.

I have 3 players in my various cars and sometimes one will play a CD the others won't and so forth.

If you constantly have troubles though the unit might be bad. Warranty time!

Reply to
lymee

UPDATE: I think I have a theory now. I noticed the 17inch rims on the

07 have a lot more rubber around them than my 02's 17 inch rims. So the outer diameter of the 07's rubber is obviously grater than the 02. I think this may account for the taller gear ratio feeling.

I want to break it in a bit before going ape sh-t but I did a few minor break stands and burnouts and it is definitely a chore with the 07. To do a break stand on the 02 I can get it going around 3000 RPM and quickly get to 5000 RPM, at that point the tires are smoking freely and I can take my heel off the break without the car moving too much. Modulating the gas bounces between 4k and 6k RPM easily. With the 07 its all I can do to keep those poor things spinning!

I should put the 02's wheels on my 07 and see how it feels.

Unless I get 20% more HP after it breaks in I am going to need some HP mods just to make it feel like my old 02.

-howy

Reply to
howyhowy

There is a servo. It's drive by wire. There is a mod to improve that, but can't remember what it is.

It will take effort, becaue you have traction control. You can turn it off, but it's not completly off. Ford's way of making it idiot proof. Some aftermarket tuners allow you to turn it completly off.

To get any real power, you have to get past that wimpy factory tuning. Be sure and do lots of homework before changing anything. For example, the mass air meter has to maintain it's current position. If it's moved or tilted, the car won't run right. Why? I have no idea. The days of shade tree mods are gone.

Reply to
.boB

I can't totally turn it off? No way! If that's true I am gonna really be pissed! Big smoky 180's are a great way to relieve stress. I will do more research but I stumbled across a throttle by wire reference here:

I dunno if its worth 350 clams though.

I wonder if I get the right supercharger maybe the included chip already includes throttle responsiveness and traction control mods. I always figured there is probably a way to tell the computer to leave traction control off by default every time you start the car.

-howy

Reply to
howyhowy

Trust me... A tune from Lidio is worth it! As his write up says, it will definitely help with the throttle response. The other thing to keep in mind is if you do plan on doing other mods you'll need a tuner anyways! The X-Cal2 is a very handy little item... It should be everyones first mod!

One item... I don't know if the X-Cals (or other tuners) are supporting the 2007's yet....

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
John S.

So is this device something that I can use to tune the car myself or is it just a box that comes with a few preset programs? I am seriously going to have to look into this. I would kinda like something that I can hook to my laptop so I can see gobbs of information. I guess I am going to have to start subscribing to a few mustang magazines.

as the 06 except for a built-in plastic cover on the convertible top and the availability of heated seats.

I just did a test drive with my 02 and 07 in the rain. My assumption that the taller gear ratio was a result of taller tires was wrong. In first gear the 02 does 3500 RPM at 25MPH while the 07 does about 3700 RPM at 25MPH ! So I was totally wrong there.

When I kick the gas on my 02 I hear that sudden gasp for air from the (stock) air cleaner before the engine responds. The 07 rolls on the gas gently and quietly like I was driving an automatic. Me and my friend have 02's and we both noticed that if you stamp on it in lower RPM or grab 2nd or 3rd in a panic the engine can misfire for about 300ms (traction control off of course). I wonder if this throttle-lag design is designed to prevent that from happening.

The 07's 17 inch tires are a much higher profile than the 17inchers on the 02 and even in the rain they howl and squeal when they spin. I think 18" rims might tighten things up a bit.

thanks for your input...

-howy

Reply to
howyhowy

There is a huge thread on throttle-lag and how to fix it here:

This may be the source of my problems.

-howy

Reply to
howyhowy

The SCT X-Cal2 hold 3 custom tunes plus the car's original stock tune. The X-Cal2 can be used as a datalogger so you can see gobbs of information! It will also (depending on where you buy it from) allow you to make minor changes like tire size, axle gear ratio, shift pressures and even some timing adjustments, etc. It can also read and clear error codes...

you might want to check out

for more information...

And if you have any X-Cal2 questions before you buy you can give Lidio at alternative auto a call (586.463.0010) He'll probably be working in the dyno but he'll call you back... and he'll answer any questions you might have... he's a very personable guy!

Reply to
John S.

Reply to
Mike