My kid just bought a '79...

My name is John, and my 16-year old son just bought his first car. A

1979 Mustang, basically a POS that has a good body, is dry inside, and it runs. :-)

Seriously, it's gonna need some valve guides replaced, some exhaust work, brakes, and we're not sure what else. Are these cars worth the time and expense to fix 'em up, or should we just keep it rolling?

-John O ..who's first car was also a 'stang, a green '73 that nearly rusted to pieces. 25 years ago.

Reply to
JohnO

Do you feel comfortable with doing mechanical stuff, and helping him learn?

Start with the brakes... take all the old crap off and replace with the system from at least '87. 79 brakes were barely worthy of the name.

It's worth the satisfaction gained while learning. Never recoup the money spent, if that's a concern.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Does your son like drag racing? The Ford Motorsport catalog sells motor mounts that allow you to drop in a 460. There's actually a lot of room in the engine compartment........

Reply to
Kruse

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote

Now compare that to non-power drums on all 4 corners as was standard just 10 short years earlier. EESH!

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

Front drums were standard on mustang even in 1973... Mustang II was the first mustang with standard front disc. Other fords continued with four wheel drum standard through 1975...

Reply to
Brent P

To be more clear, Some other fords (ie maverick) continued with four wheel drum standard through 1975.

Reply to
Brent P

Yeah, I can do that.

I've dinked around with little stuff on my cars for 25 years. With good direction, such as a Chilton's or a manual or something, (and groups like this one) I think I can handle just about anything. I will need to buy some better and more specific tools. What book or other resource should I get?

Good to know I'm on the right page. I told the kid, first thing is we make sure the car goes straight or turns when you need that, and that it stops. Later we worry about it "going."

So, you're talking about replacing the complete system? Does this mean a trip to the local junkyards, or should I be buying....what exactly?

Yeah, it'll be a mini-money pit. But it is a Mustang, and if we get some things fixed, it could be decent.

A couple specific questions. (and here's where I show my inexperience :-)) The left front suspension needs something. There's a vertical rod/bracket (whatchamacallit?) that's about six inches long. The top is attached to a bar that goes to the right suspension. (I want to call that a sway bar, but I'd be guessing.) That rod is obviously loose, the top rubber parts are wasted. I'm thinking this part needs replaced asap so we keep the car going straight.

Part two. The joint between the left exhaust manifold and the first pipe seems leaky. This needs a gasket, right? Bigger part two...right behind that is where the steering column goes through the firewall, The boot is new, but the hole is far too big, I can see through it. What should I do here?

I'm going to have lots of questions, is this the right place?

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

Yes there is a lot of room, and no we won't be going that route. :-) I'm hoping the kid makes it to his 20th birthday, at least. Then he can buy whatever engine he prefers.

It does sound like fun, and at some point after we get the stoping and steering in good order then we may be looking at a different engine. But not just yet...he just got his license yesterday.

Reply to
JohnO

I assume you read my recent post on Mustangs for younger drivers... so you'll gather I'm in favor.

Just have more patience than I did.. point out to son what to do. Dont just do it and have him watch.. he'll get bored and remember little. Part of reason I'm on here is I'm paying for that sin.

And yeah... get all the brake stuff from junkyards and part-out, but new/rebuilt calipers and new rotors.. replace ANY lines with cake-rust. You really only need concentrate for now on the fronts... look up 'brake upgrade' on various Mustang sites or use google mustang brakes. Much research time, relatively little money.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Yeah, I did see that...before I knew what a Fox was. :-) That makes me feel a whole lot better about this project car. Frankly, I'm impressed with the body. The doors close well, the locks and dome light work, and it's solid. The blinkers and brake lights work, and the hood release is good, too. Otherwise...

There's no way I'm bustin' my own knuckles while he sits there sippin' a dew and laughing at me. :-) The boy is going to learn about grease under his fingernails. And besides, the more it's up on blocks, the less he's out with chicky-babe or the gang.

Super, that's great advice. Thanks.

-John O

Reply to
JohnO

On 13 Apr 2006 07:16:11 -0700, "JohnO" puked:

Hell yeah, that's the way I learned. My dad and I built a '30 Model A when I was 12 or 13, and applied a lot that I learned to my 68 Mustang I got when I was 16 (in 1980). I remember him giving me direction on how to install a power steering hose and keeping it away from the headers and letting me go at it. Then I remember him laughing at me when I bought a second power steering hose, saying 'tol' ya so'...

lab~rat >:-)

Tonite, we bleed the rear brakes and replace the power steering belt. The pulley wobbles, so I suspect there's a replacement pump in our future.

Two good tasks for a kid. :-)

-John O

Reply to
JohnO