My power steering pump ceased, and broke a stud...

The stud is broken off flush with the engine. There are only two, so this makes it pretty important to get fixed.

Can you give me any advice on how to get the stud out and replaced?

voice from the past

Reply to
timagine

So, your pump has seized and ceased to function...been there, done that.

Search the web for "bolt extractor". Studs are basically headless bolts screwed into the block

Use some penetrating oil on the broken stud while you're out at the local parts store getting the extractor.

Replacement...take the two broken pieces and hit the stores again (get a high grade one)....maybe the local Ford dealers have them in stock.

To install it, thread two nuts on the stud, lock them together, and use that to install it in the block. Don't forget the threadlocker.

Hava Goodun

DP Pics of the cars:

Dinsdale

Get a tool called an 'Ez-out' -- size it for the diameter of the bolt you are extracting. This will take good skill with a drill, lots of patience, penetrating oil, and some luck -- uh, make that a lot of luck.

Basically you make a drill hole down the center of the sheared off bolt (extremely carefully because you get exactly one shot at this), then you screw a reverse threaded gizmo into the hole. Next, (if we all join hands and believe in fairies) the sheared bolt will come out before the reverse threaded gizmo breaks, plugging up the hole and really pissing off the dude at the machine shop that you take it to next. :)

Good luck!

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to