MY SPEEDOMETER IS WACK AND SO IS MY GAS GAUGE

MY SPEEDOMETER IS WACK AND SO IS MY GAS GAUGE? WHATS UP WITH THE 87-93 MUSTANGS WITH THE GAS GAUGE SPEEDOMETER RPM AND EVEN THE MILEAGE GOING OUT? CAN SOMEONE OFFER SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT THESE PAIN IN THE NECK AREAS. ESPECIALLY THE GAS. I LITERALLY HAVE TO RUN OUT OF GAS IN ORDER TO KNOW IF I NEED MORE. SOMEONE HELP ME OUT PLEASE!!! THANKS A BUNCH. -FELLOW STANG LOVER

Reply to
'87-STANG-IN-S.A.

I may not be much help, the guages in my 87 Mustang have been well behaved. But the fuel guage in my '93 Escort hasn't worked in the whole time I've owned the car (3+ years). What I do is set the trip odometer to 0 when I fill the gas tank. At about 300 miles I refill the tank... Good Luck!

-=RaOuL

Reply to
-=RaOuL

You just need to drop the gas tank and replace the sending unit.

Weird the speedo and the tach would both go out. Sure a previous owner didn't try some creative, under-dash, wiring project?

Oh, and lost the caps. It isn't polite in newsgroup land.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

GET A SENDING UNIT FOR THE GAS GAUGE, AND PLEASE STOP POSTING IN CAPS.

Got a multimeter for the others?

Get an authentic '87 shop manual and poke around a bit with one. It may be because of the gas gauge fault, so you may have a general PCB fault in the gauge cluster causing it, too... my guess...

Froggie Dwight? Are you listen> MY SPEEDOMETER IS WACK AND SO IS MY GAS GAUGE? WHATS UP WITH THE 87-93

Reply to
Wound Up

Shouldn't that have been "whack" and the last time I looked, "whack" was a verb, not an adjective, wasn't it??

Reply to
WindsorFox[SS]

Not necessarily. The gas gauge on my 1991 GT croaked, and it wasn't the sending unit. Wasn't the gauge itself, either. It ended up being the small circuit board (which exists in the 1987 model as well, but they can't be swapped for one another due to how they attach to the wiring) that sits between the sender and the gauge. I believe it's used to dampen the fluctuations that would occur due to the fuel level moving about due to motion of the vehicle. But, whatever its actual purpose, mine broke and rendered the gauge useless.

You should verify that the sender is, in fact, trashed before dropping the tank to replace it. This can be verified easily enough by inserting an ohmmeter into the circuit and seeing if the sender is reporting the correct resistance for various fuel levels. I think the range for those years of Mustangs was 20 to 150 ohms, but don't quote me on that.

As the 1987 had a mechanical speedometer, it's unlikely a simultaneous tach and speedo failure would be related. I'm not surprised at the speedo failure, as mine has died twice. According to the repair shop I took it to the first time, "It's a Ford mechanical speedo. They just break." The bridge on mine was all bent out of shape, which first caused the needle to bounce and then caused it to outright go nuts and then freeze up. The odometer continued to work fine, however. I'm switching to an Auto Meter electric speedo.

Reply to
The Hurdy Gurdy Man

The speedo in 87-93 mustangs are mechanical. You should check your speedometer cable, it connects to the back of the cluster and runs through the firewall down to the side of the transmission and into the speed sensor. I bet it is your cable, but I have seen the drive gear on the tail section of the transmission slip back to where it is no longer making connection with the speedo driven gear. to check the speedo, pull the cluster out and drive it around the block and see if the cable is rotating. As for your fule gauge, replace the fuel sending unit , it is located inside the gas tank, you have to drop the gas tank and access it from the top side of the gas tank. It is a easy fix. The part costs $75.00 at a Ford parts dealer.

Reply to
Clark Kent

You are talking about the small circuit board on the back of the gauge cluster that is mounted with one screw. Yes you are right, I forgot about tha being the the brain for the fuel level and oil pressure gauge. But I bet in this guys case the fuel sending uint is wore out. Think about how many times by now that the contact of the sender has rubbed back and forth. I am sure by now it has rubbed through the contact strip on the ceramic in the sender.

Reply to
Clark Kent