MYSTERIOUS COOLANT LEAK ON '96 GT........

My 1996 GT has a stubborn coolant leak. I have traced the coolant leak to the SHORT heater hose where it fastens to the inlet on the rear of the intake manifold, passenger side. I replaced the heater hose with a temporary cut-to-fit hose while I wait for the correct hose to arrive at my Ford dealer. I got new hose clamps and REALLY tightened them down HARD but I still get a leak!

I know for a FACT that the leak is NOT coming from the hose that fastens to the engine block underneath the intake manifold, which seems to be the more common cause of coolant leaks coming from the rear of the engine. I have small hands and I was able to reach down past the alternator and feel the hose connection under the intake manifold when the engine was cool. It was bone-dry.

At this point, I am ready to conclude one of the following:

1) There is a crack or other type of flaw in the inlet coupling that attaches the heater hose to the rear of the intake manifold.

2) There is some sort of blockage, either in the heater core or in the intake manifold water passage.

3) There is a crack in the intake manifold itself.

I really don't know how to determine the cause of the problem, BUT IT'S DRIVING ME CRAZY! I am currently waiting for the correct heater hose to arrive and I will install it and hope for the best...BUT...

Has anyone had a similar situation with their GT? Can anyone offer me any suggestions?

Reply to
HWBossHoss

Yessirree!

This may be your problem.

That's the heater core return fitting - brass fitting at the rear of the plastic lower intake manifold. This brass fitting is very fine threaded AND tapered.

Mine appeared to have stripped the threads somehow (maybe on installation? who knows). Anyway, you can't re-tap the threads AND you can not get a new brass fitting for that application without buying a whole new lower intake (comes installed on the intake itself - not a seperate part).

Sorry, but you may have to spend $700 for a new lower intake to fix the problem. The intake is about $250, the rest is labor.

Good luck, and I hope it's something simpler and less costly!!!

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

Wasn' t there a TSB or recall on this?

Mike

1995 Eagle Talon TSi
Reply to
Mike

There was a TSB on the lower intake, but not for this problem. It was because the intake itself was cracking in the front, close to the thermostat housing(?).

Iggy '01 Dyna Super Glide '96 Mustang GT Convertible Keep your powder dry and don't let your meat-loaf. :o)

Reply to
SRQEagan

Ford has raised the price in Jan '04 to almost $500 for the intake. Why? That warranty extension for the cracking intake manifolds is over. So Ford says SCREW anyone who needs that intake now. You'll pay dearly from Ford. You'd be better off trying eBay or the classifieds on the Mustang forums. Anyone who does a headswap has one left over.

Reply to
Keith

Wow, that truly sucks. _Almost_ makes me want to buy a new '05 'Vette instead of the '05 GT.