Need 69-70 coupe pics ASAP

69 351W coupe edelbrock performer

I just got a tentative appointment at the best custom rod shop in town to get my girl fixed up to show car quality. I want to add front and or rear spoilers (she lifts up a bit at 100+ mph) and need to decide on a paint scheme, weather to get lemans stripes and weather to paint spoilers to match. also any ideas on how to paint the quarter panel ornaments. so was hoping to get some links to galleries or pics of group member cars to help me decide. specifically of coupes.

shes a marina type blue and im keeping that but have always like lemans stripes. i have current pics on

thanks,

Reply to
Jack Napier

I have the '69 brochure up at

Dunno how much help it will be for you.

Reply to
Brent P

"Jack Napier" wrote

Maybe try the '70 Mach one hood treatment, but take it up over the top of the car to the back instead of Le Mans stripes. Either way, IMHO, paint them white. Leave the spoilers black and remove the fake side things from the interior and paint them off the car. Then I guess it would look kinda cool to paint the little fins argent but leave the rest body color (kinda like the shaker hoods having argent colored ribs on top).

Reply to
66 6F HCS

FYI: Shaker hood scoop fins are not painted Argent - that is aluminum you see. There is no black paint on the top of the fins.

Reply to
Grover C. McCoury III

I knew this, don't know why I forgot, other than I was thinking of how he could make the side (dealies) look similar.

Obviously, since they're not black. I never suggested they were.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

If your talking about the quarter panel ornaments, i kinda like em. dont know if its just cause im used to them being there or what.

Reply to
Jack Napier

You could add '69 Shelby converible scoops there too. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

i did ask about that, they said 500-600 bucks to install them and make them functional with sealed metal air pathways to the wheel wells. I would not want them unless they functioned. since these body project budgets spiral out of control i decided against it. dont know, could still do it tho. would be super cool.

Reply to
Jack Napier

"Jack Napier" wrote

Why? They weren't functional on the real deal.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Only on the early cars. They weren't on '69's. Strictly just for looks. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Yeah, That's what I was talking about. 65 was fully functional, '66-'68 was partially functional, '69-'70 was Riceboy thanks to the beancounters taking the Shelby away from Shelby.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Well bean counters or no, He was busy running a racing team for Ford remember. Shelby's were always just image cars for Ford really but by '69 with Ford having it's own performance models it didn't make much sense to keep making them the way they did. '65 GT350's were loud and brash, in '67 they were still pretty brash but once A.O. Smith started doing them in '68, I doubt Shelby had much to do with much of anything on the cars. By then they were more like a Grand Touring car with a bit of luxo to go with the performance.

Beans and rice eh,... those must have been Shelby's "salad days"

Personally, I wouldn't call them "rice" plenty of other cars had tack on "sport" goodies back then. Remember spoilers and scoops were a new thing in racing at the time. Thirty five years later the spoilers on most factory cars now are to hold the centre mounted brake light! I think they were really just to differentiate them from the regular Mustangs enough to give them the cachet you were paying for. Stu

StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

also has 69 mach 1 hood scoop. has anyone ever added one of these to a stock 69-70 hood? whith the extra clearance of a hole in the hood i could probly finally fit an open aircleaner on there.

Reply to
Jack Napier

The originals were non functional, they just had two oval holes at the back for the turn signal lights. You can put an open element filter on your car without cutting a hole anyway but if you want some ram air effect it wouldn't hurt. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet