Need a little help here...sell me some brake pads

for my 96 GT. I still have the OEM with 54K. What's best/quietest for normal street driving? And what's a fair price for servicing all four corners (rotor turning, etc.)? Thanks all.

Reply to
tom

Depends on some things. Other than the turning, are you planning on doing the labor yourself? It's all relatively easy stuff. for pads, I'd go with Ceramic. Quietest and almost no brake dust for ~$60 on all 4 corners. Turning is pretty cheap. Just take'em to "Checkzone Boys".

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Are they worn out ? It all depends on your driving style and where you drive as to how fast they wear out. My 95GT still was on its original pads when I sold it at 92K miles. It did mostly highway miles with not much stop and go at all. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein

I do mostly city driving (when I actually DRIVE it). A cursory inspection shows that the pads are down to their last millimeters (!). I've been noticing that it takes more pedal effort to stop. The rotors look excellent...shiny, clean, no grooves, no scarring...no "apparent" wear.

I've d>

Reply to
tom

You can run your finger across the rotor and not feel any waves, dips, or grooves?

I don't know why. It really is so simple. Only take you about 1 1/5 hours all by your lonesome, faster if you have an extra set of hands. Save you a lotta dough.

I would. It's the only thing I ever use on disk brakes in my family. Just put a set on my mom's Cougar. Quiet and no dust. Keeps the wheels nice and clean. If they made ceramic drum brake shoes I'd buy'em!

I don't see why not. It's a simple brake pad replacement.

Remember the scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail with the Trojan Rabbit and the catapult?

"RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY!!!!"

Reply to
66 6F HCS

I will specify ceramic pads.

The rotors are, in fact, very smooth...outboard. Inboard is a different matter, I just found out. And they have that glazed look. So probably taking off a few .001s won't hurt.

Off to the mall (Sears) I will go. Thanks again, everybody.

Reply to
tom

at 05 Oct 2004, tom [ snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com] wrote in news:BIA8d.3499$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

I recently did all 4. Or better had a bud do it with me watching so I know what to do nxt time. I wonder where the $60 for all 4 corners for ceramics comes from. Cheapest I found was about $70 for ceramics up front. Could not find any for the back. I ended up with NAPA premium pads all around. At about $120 for a front/back set. Add $5 for a qt of Valvoline synth brake fluid. Oh yeah, $25 for turning the front rotors at a reliable shop...

Not to bad a price. well worth the added feeling of security when I brake and feel them grab...

Reply to
Paul

"66 6F HCS" wrote

oops, 1.5 hrs

Reply to
66 6F HCS

"Paul" wrote

Checker Auto Parts. The pads were for a '96 Cougar XR-7 with a 4.6.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Unless they are warped or have some bad grooves in them I would not have them turned. Rotors are never (or hardly ever) super smooth like new. They always have grooves in them. Never had problems because of that. Remove NO-SPAM from email address when replying

Reply to
Rein