Need an Opinion Please!!

Well first off im going to tell everyone that im only 16. Ok if i was to approach someone about buying a 1966 mustang, what would be your first thoughts?? Ok then i am new at all the details about classics but i have wanted a 60's mustang for as long as i can remember. I talked to someone today about what i thought was ONE mustang....well he opens up a garage dorrs and blows my mind. He had like 8 or 9 beautiful mustangs....i was about to cry cause i was in heaven. I was wanting to know if someone would tell me what rustless meant. I mean if it is what it sounds like then im an idiot. Also i wanted to know if someone would tell me how they think a 66 mustang would do in the Kentucky climate. I just need a little advice and was hoping someone would help me. Oh and if a 16 year old walked up to you wanting to buy a mustang from you, when your a life is in the cars, what would you do and think??? Then tell me what i could do to prove to you that i would totally take care of this car. Thanks.

Reply to
Mustang_girl

Knowing 16 year olds, from having been one, and from observing many more since then, I myself would be very hard pressed to believe ANY 16 year old could "totally take care" of a classic mustang in the manor it deserves. With that in mind, you are facing an up hill battle if you are going to try and convince the owner of 8 or 9 classic Mustangs that selling one of his babies to a 16 year old is going to be in the cars best interest.

Other than that, good luck in your search.

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Where does a 16 year old get the money given today's prices and the wages a 16 year old would typical earn. Just hasn't been working long enough in most cases...

A lack of rust.

It does.

Better than chicago. But it will still need to be protected.

Not sell. I would think the car would end up destroyed in short order.

Have already bought one needing restoration and have restored it.

Reply to
Brent P

Anyone who has a collection of "rustless" cars, is not likely to part with one. That owner knows what they are worth.

I have one, and I wouldn't be inclined to sell it to a 16 year old, even if it was my own kid... in fact, especially if it was my own kid. Why? SAFETY. They didn't build them as well as they do today.

If you are going to maintain the car in the condition you indicate these are, you had better have some serious money because you won't be driving it if you care about it that much, so you need a second car. Insurance... For a 16 year old??? Megabucks. You can't even get Collector Car Insurance.

There are plenty out there in reasonably good condition. Not mint. But not rust buckets either. It's Kool April Nites weekend here. Several around here have been for sale in the $6,000-14,000 range. They have some bondo maybe. need paint maybe. Things like that. Put your money into the best one you can find in your price range, and YOU do the work to turn it into a "rustless" car. And when you're done, you'll be more proud of that car than the one you want to buy.

Reply to
Spike

Sorry, honey, I was a teenager once myself... such a long, long time ago. First... a rustless 60's Mustang is likely going to set you back about eighty to one hundred thousand dollars..... pretenders and bondo queens can run much less, but without experience, you WILL get hosed by an unscrupulous vendor.

Word of advice... as a young driver, I would suggest purchasing modest transportation.... A classic automobile does not make a good daily driver. At your age, there are more important things for you to consider.... once you become succesful and have "disposable" income, then you can consider toys.

Whether you find a pristine car or a bondo queen, you will soon find that this thing will turn into a money pit. You have a wonderful dream.... please temper it with rationality...

Reply to
Jim Warman

GL in your search. I would suggest a 68-70 model because they had gotten it down by then, solved any issues, and had some good power plants. The parts for those years also are everywhere.

Rustless Mustangs are everywhere out here in California (or arizona). You can get a very clean driver that's had most everything gone through for under 10k here, and I've seen sweet Mustangs here and there for around 5k, when the buyer is aggressively trying to sell his ride.

Mustangs are probably rarer and more expensiove in your part fo the world, so consider buying one on ebay and going to get it or having it shipped to you ($750).

But the bottom line is, a 60s Mustang is the simplest car on earth, won't cost much to fix, and has lousy gas mileage. So you should be able to find what you want in nice, clean condition for unde 10k w/some searching. Good luck

Have you considerd the Cougar, which is snazzier? here's a shot of mine:

As someone once said, it costs twice as much to restore than a mustang, and is worth half as much when you're done, so you can get a nice cat out here for a good price too--and sequential turn signals are sooooooo cool....

Reply to
vince garcia

Welcome to life lessons!

In addition to what else has been said, consider this.

No matter how good and careful a driver you are at entry into adulthood, the main benefit of driving experience is defensive driving skills; that is to recognize ahead of time that OTHERS are showing signs of getting into YOUR SPACE (figger that will resonate with a teener).

While at 16, I consider it a good thing that you have this interest; still, there's much more in life for you to concentrate on at the moment. Well rounded interests call for temperance ... not applying to just cars, of course. That is also a sign of maturity - applying temperance against the instinct now, makes it ingrain itself and will keep you out of much trouble later.

So... find a more practical substitute for the time being. Since you feel you are in a financial position to buy and maintain the classic, you are supposedly able to buy something in the same line but of recent vintage. That would possibly be anything from a later model Fox body to an 05 or 06. Suggest the V6 if the latter because it will keep down your insurance costs.

Substitute the NECESSITY for finding out about quirks, pro's and con's coming with owning the classic, with the desire to learn all about them. Join a Mustang club, acquire all the books and knowledge you can and find you OWN way of working your way into classic ownership. Be creative.. you found an owner that shares your interests. Maybe he's creative, too, and open to selling one of his cars on a 'shares' plan... with him retaining majority interest and possession up until you buy him out. That's just one example, though -sad to say- you would have to be on guard against him having other less healthy interests.

Another would be if one or both your parents have liked the idea of having such a car and you inspired them to come out of the closet, as it were.....

- - - - - - - - The longing for your ICON car is indeed a sweet thing, as you know, and I can read from your response to seeing those beauties unveiled. Mitigating that with alternatives to acting on fulfilling the dream will make it the more satisfying later... in essence, anticipation's like a good wine. I waited 23 years for my first 65... and it was the sweeter for me having waited. Not that I couldnt buy one when they first came out; but that I wouldnt, because I was a contrarian. I was one of those who insisted on being 'different'. If I had bought one, it would have ended up being disposed of for a pittance, like the 57 chev hardtop I had at the time. And the 66 Mercury Comet I bought new in lieu of the Mustang

Good luck!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Rustless IMPLIES that there is no HIDDEN rust, which is the main thing you must look out for. Hidden rust on a 40 year old car is that in the actual chassis frames and it takes one who is very familiar with the genre to tell for certain whether it's rusted badly, or not.

BTW... even pristine looking Southern California or Arizona cars may have it.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

"Backyard Mechanic" wrote

I first fell in love with the Mustang at 16 also. I did finally get ahold of a junker '70 Fastback for my very first car, but I ended up waiting til I was 23 to get it and I only had it for a year before I had to sell it due to financial problems. I just didn't realize how much time and money it really took to take of a classic correctly. Now I'm 35 and finally have the car I've always wanted. It took me almost 20 years to get it and near $20,000 to buy it and restore it (and I'm STILL not done). My opinion is this little girl should keep the passion alive by going to the shows and maybe even joining a club, but hold off until the reality of owning one of these cars has a chance to settle in.

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

I tend to agree. Caring for a vintage Mustang is not the same as the rather carefree living you'd get with a more modern car. There's also the safety aspect. Even the lowest end econobox for sale today is going to be a LOT safer in an accident, will likely offer better handling, better braking, and much better gas mileage.

I don't think I'd want my 16 year old son or daughter tooling around in a car like that until they had some driving experience under their belt and understood the concept of maintaining it.

But I'll hand it to her, she's got good taste.

Cheers,

Reply to
Ritz

"Ritz" wrote

My oldest daughter, who is only 11, has got it in her head that I'm going to teach her how to drive in my Mustang. I THINK NOT!!! This is a 400++ hp AND Tq stroker motor with drum brakes on all 4 corners. HELL NO!! Beginner's should NEVER be trusted to know how to handle a car with that kind of power. She can use her moms POS Taurus.

I ended up getting a screaming deal on an '83 Z/28 several years back. This kids dad had swapped in a SBC 400 in place of the boat anchor 305. IROC cowl racing hood, Custom paint, spoiler added, Centerline wheels, T-tops. A show car with a few trophies.

This stupid kid then goes out driving a truck in the muddy fields of his dads Missouri farm and ended up rolling it. This was before his son had even recieved his DL. His dad OBVIOUSLY couldn't trust him with a torque monster motor without him wrapping it around a tree. I picked it up for $750 because his dad wanted him to feel the pain.

So do my daughter's. They each want one of their own when they get older, but I think my youngest (9 y/o) has her sights on mine. :)

Reply to
Blue Mesteno

  1. Go to
    Click the "Search" menu item3. Type "GOTa67coupe" in the "Username Search" box and set the "DateRange" for 2 years
  2. Hit the "Submit" button
  3. Read the threads
180 Out
Reply to
one80out

"Mustang_girl" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

Please don't feed the trolls.

Reply to
none

Please stfu! IMO. it's YOU that's the troll

Even if it IS fiction, it's good stuff... and what's it off your back?

frekin' posting from a hidey-hole!

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

If I was selling a classic and you approached me I'd probably ask you questions like

why do you want a classic what kind of driving do you do how often do you think the oil should be changed where did you learn to drive what kind of car have you been driving have you taken any long trips have you had any scary close calls

and other questions to try and get an idea if you are a person who will take care of it or if you are likely to just go out and tear it up. Anyone that owns several of them could be concerned over who he sells to OR he might not care at all. Seems like the first is a lot more likely.

Now, for the question you didn't ask, what do I think of the idea of you buying a classic at all....

For what it's worth, here's what this Dad thinks based on his experience with his daughter..... My daughter was 16 when I gave her my 88 5.0 LX 5 speed mustang. Even though it had seat/shoulder belts it's still a worry turning a 16 year old loose in a high performance older car. At least the 88 had good brakes, good steering and handling and was pretty safe aside from the lack of airbags. Don't think this is going to turn into a sad story, it's not. She loved the car, took excellent care of it, washed and waxed it more then I ever did, drove generally very good. But, ANY sixteen year old, boy or girl, is not going to be all that great a driver for at least the first year or so because they just don't have everything down to where the right thing to do is almost automatic when something unexpected happens. So long story short, she T-boned another car and totaled the

  1. She was OK except for a few little cuts and bruises. Most likely what happened was she hit the clutch instead of the brake as she went down an off ramp. I hate to think what might have happened if she was in the same accident in an older mustang. A male friend of hers was in a head on in a 67 fastback and he suffered a lot more injuries from a crash at a lower speed, a couple teeth knocked out and a broken bone or two.

So, my advice is buy something newer that has reasonably up to date safety features and drive it for your first year or more. Then if you still want a classic go look for a good one that's in good shape and has good brakes, steering, etc. Depending on how much you want to spend you can probably get an older fox-body mustang for under $5000 in good shape but it may take some looking till you find it. If you want to spend more, but not a whole lot more you should be able to get a 99 or newer for anywhere from $5000 to $15000 depending on how new, options, etc. My daughter now drives a 2001 GT 5-speed and loves it. She test drove a couple *affordable* classic Mustangs and found that they just don't compare to a modern car when you put aside the fact that they are a classic.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

A friend of mine paid $5000 for a 67 as a daily driver and has been restoring it as he can. He's just about got it finished and figures he's got nearly $12K in it and it still needs some interior work and complete repainting. And he does virtually all the work himself including welding on new panels in places that don't show.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

You are doing the right thing. Asking lots of questions and these guys (most of them) will help you figure out the hard parts. All I can say is TAKE YOUR TIME make an informed decision. Then you will fall in love and it will be all over with.

Ahhhh to be so young again, what a kick in the head!

I think the simple fact that you WANT to prove that you can take care of it is a great start. Your love for the cars will show. You might just study up on everything you can find. Hang around here, ask a million questions. These guys could use a good fluffing up, keeps them from getting stale.

Go get em girl, and post photos when you get your car!

Kate

2O|||||||O6 Rubicon
Reply to
Kate

My guess is, the same place the 15 year old that now owns my old Cobra did.... Her daddy.

Or some such similar relative.

Kate

:
Reply to
Kate

"Blue Mesteno" <

. I picked it up for $750 because : his dad wanted him to feel the pain.

Karma bites doesn't it!

: >

: > But I'll hand it to her, she's got good taste. : : So do my daughter's. They each want one of their own when they get older, : but I think my youngest (9 y/o) has her sights on mine. :) : -- : Scott W. : '68 Ranchero 500 302 : '69 Mustang Sportsroof 351W : ThunderSnake #57 :

Kate

: >> : >

: > Please don't feed the trolls. : : Please stfu! IMO. it's YOU that's the troll : : Even if it IS fiction, it's good stuff... and what's it off your back? : : frekin' posting from a hidey-hole! : :

Get em BM - kick his ass!

Reply to
Kate