Need Engine Rebuild/Swap Advice

It's time to look at a rebuild. My 289 4v has never been rebuilt, so unleaded gas has been working it's black magic.

I have two options for this 65 Fastback.... a rebuilt 289, or a rebuilt 351W.

I'd like a little extra HP, but I don't want to cut my own throat with today's gas prices here in California (nope, not gonna move...LOL).

Looking for some input as to the best choice. Difference is about $500. And I can't really afford the 347 according to the prices I have seen... Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

What about 302 crate motor? You can get a strong runner with GT-40 heads for a decent price... and you can get a warranty.

Patrick '93 Cobra

Reply to
NoOption5L

It's a thought... But the choice is between the 289 at $1200 and the

351W at $1700 installed.

The 302s I looked at were double that without R&R. And my budget is

So, basically, I'm looking at who knows what about these two engines with regard to power and fuel consumption, etc, w/Edelbrock 4v carb and C4 trans.

K>Spike wrote:

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

I would keep it as stock as possible, but that's just my opinion.

mort

Reply to
Mort Guffman

It's a quandary.... This is a daily driver and not bought for investment or show, although it's clean enough just not concours. And it will probably be my last car... except for the Factory5 Cobra, a 65 era Ford pu, a..... : )

While some changes have been made, it's been kept pretty stock. And there doesn't appear to be that much difference between the two engines, but I need some definite input regarding any greatly increased fuel consumption, maintenance, etc on the 351. I've had 289s and I know what I'm dealing with there.

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!

1965 Ford Mustang fastback 2+2 A Code 289 C4 Trac-Lok Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8" w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Reply to
Spike

The 351 has over .6 inch more stroke than the 289. That is a big difference you will feel through the entire rpm band. The maintenance will be no different. It will consume more gas if you retain the same gearing, whatever that is. But, it can pull lower numerical gears much easier so cruise rpm's are reduced. It weighs approximately 60 pounds more than the 289. The C4 will have to sport premium components to live behind the extra torque. All 351 cars had 9-inch rears, but an 8 will do fine. You would have to learn a new firing order, or run a 302 cam.

My 4980-lb Econoline had a 351W with iron manifolds, an 1850 Holley, and a 260H Comp Cam. With 3.31 gearing and tall 16.5-inch tires, it could put the back end up in smoke from a standstill. With the inside full of heavy objects and car on a trailer, it would pull the 17-mile Indio Grapevine on I-10 at 60 mph with the pedal to the floor without overheating. During August. The C6 in it uses 25-30 hp more than your C4.

My friend's parents' '69 Montego MX 351-4V ran 215,000 miles without the heads coming off.

It was Lime Gold.

Reply to
CobraJet

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 21:28:08 -0800, Spike wrote something wonderfully witty:

While this my have no bearing on what you do, but a friend of mine has completely replaced his `65's drive train with one out of a late model

5.0 LX he picked up at an auction. The car was totaled, but the drivetrain was fine & low milage.

The car is a beast. It took some custom bracket modifications and he had to have the driveshaft & wiring harness custom made, but hell's bells it is one reliable daily driver.

Reply to
ZombyWoof